Text Size

The Rumble Room

Brandon Vera

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Brandon Vera

Unread postby sandlot33 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:26 pm

It's official he will be back as soon as October...this is great news

It’s Official: Brandon Vera Will Return to the Octagon
Posted by UFC Junkie on August 15, 2007 at 7:02 pm ET
After a lengthy absence due to management and contract issues, up-and-coming UFC heavyweight Brandon Vera (8-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) will return to the Octagon and next fight for the UFC as soon as October.

UFC president Dana White and the organization made the announcement today at UFC.com.

Vera is under new management after firing Mark Dion, owner of the City Boxing gym in San Diego, Calif. As their relationship fell apart, Vera sat on the sidelines. The 29-year-old Californian hasn’t fought since a TKO of Frank Mir at UFC 65 in November.

According to today’s press release, White said that Vera could return to the organization as soon as October. Only Cincinnati’s UFC 77 event (Oct. 20) is scheduled for the month, and despite the UFC 77 fight card being nearly full, it’s in dire need of some additional marquee talent.

Vera — no matter the opponent — would provide that.

“I realize the UFC heavyweight division is much stronger now, but I like having more challenges, and that just gives me more motivation to train,” Vera said in today’s prepared statement. “I feel that when I’m on top of my game, nobody can beat me. I have a plan to become the heavyweight champion, so I’m going to stick to the plan that my management team NCFC and both of my coaches set and win the titles. I want to prove I’m the best for my family, my friends and most of all my fans.“

With one-time champ and top contender Andrei Arlovski currently unbooked, a showdown with Vera is possible. However, despite efforts by UFCjunkie.com (www.ufcjunkie.com), no one associated with either fighter or the organization has stated it’s even being discussed.

That, of course, was prior to today’s announcement.

Back in July, Vera confirmed that he had been offered a chance to fight for the title against Tim Sylvia at UFC 68 in March. With Vera tied up in the dispute with his manager, though, UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture came of out of retirement and instead fought Sylvia. The 43-year-old scored a unanimous-decision victory to reclaim the heavyweight belt.

Vera, who made his Octagon debut at UFC Fight Night 2 with a win over Fabiano Scherner, has also scored UFC victories over Justin Eilers (UFC 57), Assuerio Silva (UFC 60) and Mir.
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby Guest » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:23 pm

I can't wait, I'm hoping it's in Cincy as I will be there.
I love this guy.

Unread postby Guest » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:25 pm

Unread postby sandlot33 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:27 pm

wow what a match...cant wait for that one
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby Guest » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:23 am

Return to The Rumble Room