Text Size

The Rumble Room

BOXING CHAMP CINTRON ACCEPTS UFC CHALLENGE

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

BOXING CHAMP CINTRON ACCEPTS UFC CHALLENGE

Unread postby Guest » Thu May 10, 2007 6:05 am

Unread postby jdrake10 » Mon May 14, 2007 12:44 pm

This would be cool! But do you really think this would happen? I would love it but I doubt it.

First off, both sides have something to lose if their guy loses:

For the UFC, it was one thing to call out Mayweather, because should he accept the fight, the money would be incredible and the exposure for the UFC would be huge win or lose. But to lose to Cintron would somewhat legitimize the comments made by all of the boxing guys about UFC being a fad. I am not saying UFC would lose fans because the current fan base is not going anywhere, but this would be a set back for UFC in terms of growth and major media acceptance.

As for boxing, a loss here is devastating to the sport. A loss tells the world that UFC is where all of the best all around fighters are and flocks of new fans come to check it out. I see no way that the boxing powers allow this fight to happen. They will strip Cintron’s title, or do whatever it takes to stop him.

Those are just the ramifications of the fight. How do you split up the money, what will the ring be, what are the basic rules, etc. are all big time issues that will get in the way of this happening.

Please post if anyone listened to the interview with Cintron that happened after this article was written.
jdrake10

Unread postby intenso » Mon May 14, 2007 12:48 pm

This guy was a wrestler before he got into boxing so he would have more of a chance than a straight up boxer (who would have virtually zero chance against a guy like Sherk).

I think he probably wants to do it. I think his manager will say: uh no.
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby swerb » Mon May 14, 2007 12:53 pm

This would be great.

How bout Lampley calling out the UFC?

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/tem ... &zoneid=13

The voice of HBO Boxing, Jim Lampley, bashed the sport of MMA on Monday during his guest-hosting gig on Jim Rome's show.

While UFC president Dana White continues to say, as recently as last week in the Washington Post, that the UFC is "coming soon" to HBO, it seems pretty clear that Lampley does not approve and will not be rolling out the welcome mat when or if the UFC does sign with HBO.

Lampley said that while boxing is a real sport, UFC events are nothing more than a bunch of bar fights. Lampley showed no respect for MMA or its competitors, even saying that MMA fighters are "not athletes."
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby intenso » Mon May 14, 2007 1:35 pm

Swerb wrote:This would be great.

How bout Lampley calling out the UFC?

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/tem ... &zoneid=13

The voice of HBO Boxing, Jim Lampley, bashed the sport of MMA on Monday during his guest-hosting gig on Jim Rome's show.

While UFC president Dana White continues to say, as recently as last week in the Washington Post, that the UFC is "coming soon" to HBO, it seems pretty clear that Lampley does not approve and will not be rolling out the welcome mat when or if the UFC does sign with HBO.

Lampley said that while boxing is a real sport, UFC events are nothing more than a bunch of bar fights. Lampley showed no respect for MMA or its competitors, even saying that MMA fighters are "not athletes."

I wonder if he thinks beating his girlfriend is a sport.
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby Guest » Mon May 14, 2007 6:54 pm

First things first.
Mayweather opened his mouth first, not Sherk(Go figure) Floyd later said he was sorry and it was all hype.
Cintron was a wrestler first and it would be a UFC fight, so it would have to be in the cage.
I think it's a win-win for both sports and fighters.
It's gets people talking about both sports and would help the fans make the crossover into the other that they normally don't watch.
If Sherk got him down, say good night.
Cintron does have some heavy hands though.

I'd love to see it.

And I am also starting to sour on Lampley. He has been going out of his way to bash the UFC and MMA.

Unread postby Guest » Tue May 15, 2007 6:23 am

Unread postby jdrake10 » Wed May 16, 2007 9:36 am

Thanks for the second link, Dana White is great!

Cintron would probalby be a better matchup then Mayweather would be due to at least having some wrestling background.
jdrake10

Return to The Rumble Room