Text Size

The Rumble Room

Strikeforce: Saturday night

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Strikeforce: Saturday night

Unread postby XUDawg » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:30 pm

Nick Diaz, the toughest pot-smoking triathlete mixed martial artist in the world today, is fighting this Saturday. He is defending his WW title against Evangelista Cyborg Santos, better known for being the other Cyborg's husband (wife?) than for his fighting ability. Nick should roll through this Brazilian veteran like a freight train.

Wish he hadn't signed a new contract with Strikeforce. I was hoping he'd do what his homeboy Jake Shields did, and leave Strikeforce as champion and head to the UFC, to show them what he has become since leaving five years ago. If you have Showtime, watch. If you don't, mooch off your buddy at his place.

Also on the card, Ronaldo Jacare Souza will defend his MW title against Robbie Lawler. This is a classic battle between one of the best jiu-jitsu practicioners in the world against a wrestler with great take down defense and huge power in his hands. Should be a great battle too.
XUDawg

Favorite Player: Nick Diaz
Least Favorite Player: Ben Roethlisberger

Re: Strikeforce: Saturday night

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:10 pm

I always liked Nick Diaz. His brother tends to irritate me more for some reason. No Showtime for me so I will have to come over to your place.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Flash Gordon
Least Favorite Player: TWofA

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:49 am

Been a slow last couple months for fight fans. This card, and Devon Alexander/Tim Bradley Sat night. Can't wait.

Guy I work with told me Showtime is running some kinda big Strikeforce tournament later this year. Like they used to do (do?) in Pride? That accurate?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby fightdr » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:29 pm

The heavyweight tourney isn't all in one night. Too many regulations for that to happen now.
The most rounds an mma fighter can fight in one day in most states is 5. They considered having multiple fights in a night but didn't want a title fight to be under 5 rounds so it was pretty much impossible for it to work.
It's just a bracket style tourney.
Still good for the organization.

Diaz made a big mistake resigning with Strikeforce. The UFC wants him back and he won't really be tested until he is back in the octagon.
fightdr

Favorite Player: Deion
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby XUDawg » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:58 pm

swerb wrote:Been a slow last couple months for fight fans. This card, and Devon Alexander/Tim Bradley Sat night. Can't wait.

Guy I work with told me Showtime is running some kinda big Strikeforce tournament later this year. Like they used to do (do?) in Pride? That accurate?

Fightdr gave you a bit of info. They won't fight on the same night, but the participant list is top notch. Fedor, Overeem, Bigfoot Silva, Werdum, Barnett, Kharitov (trying to make a comeback), Andre Arlovski, and Brett Rogers.

Out of the top 15 or so heavyweights in the world, that's 7 of them, and Kharitonov is a 5'8" piece of heavyweight steel. Look at who he's fought and beaten in the past. I am excited about it.
XUDawg

Favorite Player: Nick Diaz
Least Favorite Player: Ben Roethlisberger

Return to The Rumble Room