Text Size

The Rumble Room

Calzaghe vs Manfredo

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Calzaghe vs Manfredo

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:47 pm

Calzaghe is making the 20th defence of the title he has held since 1997 against the former reality TV star.

A 35,000 Millennium Stadium crowd will watch, with a huge worldwide audience.

With the Cardiff stadium's roof closed, it will be the biggest ever indoor boxing event in Europe, and the largest worldwide since the return fight between Muhammad Ali and Leon Spinks at the New Orleans Superdome in September 1978.

"I've been through years of frustration not getting the big fights, now I've got that recognition," said Welshman Calzaghe, 35, who holds a record of 42-0 (31 KOs), and will be equalling the number of defences made by Larry Holmes and Bernard Hopkins.

"If you can't get motivated to fight in front of 35,000 people, there is something wrong with you.

"There is still a lot of fire inside me. My book is not written yet and there is so much I still believe I can achieve.

"I have given Peter respect by getting into the best shape I have ever been in."

Should Calzaghe win impressively, a summer unification fight with Denmark's undefeated WBC and WBA champion Mikkel Kessler seems to have the backing of US TV money, but Manfredo insists he should not be overlooked.

The Rhode Islander, 26, holds a record of 26-3 (12 KOs), with impressive third-round stoppages of Joe Spina and Scott Pemberton in his last two fights.

But he is most famous for being the runner-up in the first US series of boxing reality TV show 'The Contender', and will be a huge underdog against Calzaghe.

"I have not spent 12 weeks away from my family to come here and be an opponent," said the challenger.

"I am here to be champion and I am not afraid of Joe or his reputation.

"I'm excited about the fight on Saturday night and I am convinced it is going to be my night.

"I am going to be the champion - and that's the mind I am going to have until Joe defeats me - if he does."

Ring legend Sugar Ray Leonard, offering advice to the Manfredo corner after introducing him to the world through 'The Contender', insisted Calzaghe is a future member of the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

"Win, lose or draw on Saturday and Calzaghe will be in the Hall of Fame, he is a true warrior," Leonard told BBC Radio Wales' 'Back Page' programme.

"His fame will rocket in the States after this thanks to Peter's celebrity.

"But I'm an optimist and I think that Peter can win. It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for him and I can see in his eyes the eye of the tiger."

"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Brantley // Irving
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Guest » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:55 pm

A 3 round sparring session vs a guy he has no business fighting.
Good win.

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:54 am

hey thats where the money was and thats the fight u yanks wanted to see

apparently fighting the guy who holds the WBC and WBA title in a unification bout isnt worthy of HBO

but fighting a mediocre reality TV star is

anyway its Jermain Taylor in December

I'm sure thats worthy of ur attention
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Brantley // Irving
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Guest » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:45 am

I'm not blaming your boy Danny.
It's the sport itself, all the best fights don't happen when they should and they have guys that don't belong get title shots.
I'd like to see him get a crack at Jermain Taylor but it probably won't happen. Taylor will probably fight the Pavlik-Miranda winner after he beats up Corey Spinks.

Unread postby swerb » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:27 am

Just got done watching this fight.

First off, the stoppage was bull shit. Not that it matters. Calzaghe would have eventually finished off his destruction of the overmatched Manfredo.

I've seen Calzaghe fight twice now. He's looked very impressive both times in wins over Lacy and Manfredo. His hand speed is amazing.

Both fighters were weak opponents though. Calzaghe exposed Lacy as nothing more than a creation of the US media. Manfredo ... well, he shouldn't have been there in the 1st place.

Im dying to see this guy fight someone legit. We all thought Lacy was that guy. He wasn't.

The Taylor fight will never happen. At least not soon. Taylor will fight the winner of Pavlik/Spinks after he takes Spinks apart at the seams in a month.

The fight that has to happen is Calzaghe vs Mikkel Kessler. A Hopkins fight would pay more, but prove less.

Calzaghe is 35, and those lightning quick hands aren't going to get any faster as he gets into his late 30's. If he wants his legacy to really elevate to the next level, he needs to fight Kessler next, then whoever emerges from the Taylor/Pavlik/Miranda trio. All three are world class.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Return to The Rumble Room