Text Size

The Rumble Room

Ricky Hatton returning to the ring in 2010

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Ricky Hatton returning to the ring in 2010

Unread postby BernieBrown » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:38 pm

BBC News have confirmed that Ricky Hatton is returning to boxing this year.

I guess theres no reason why he shouldn't give it one more go round. There is really nothing he can do at this point to tarnish his legacy short of getting KO'ed in the first, and crapping himself in the ring. Hatton is one of my favorite fighters, but he really only has one big quality win, and that came over an old inactive Tsyzu. Hatton owes it to himself to get out there, and win a few more before retiring.

Personally I'm hoping that they might set up a British superfight against Amir Khan. However I doubt Amir's people would let the fight happen. Its a shame that promising young fighters today are so protected. Unfortunately boxing today is all about guys with meaningless records, rather then guys who build a reputation through fighting the best fighters out there.

The more I think about it though the more I want to see that fight happen. Khan is fast, but much like Naseem Hamed he is coasting by mostly on his natural athleticism. I could see a fight between Khan, and Hatton being a classic, and if Hatton is looking to have one more great fight before get out of boxing forever what better way then by beating, or passing the torch to the next great British light welter. For Khan the up side would be that if he loses he will get a quick lesson about what it is going to take for him to rise to the level of an elite fighter. If he wins he will be without a doubt the Brit to beat at light welter.

Sadly though I have a feeling that instead we will be seeing Hatton end his career fighting guys like Junior Witter.

One last question just for fun. Do any of you guys think that Hatton is a HOF'er? Personally I don't know. He has the titles, and he was the number one ranked light welter in the world for like two and a half years, but on the flip side he has only won one big fight against a very washed up Tszu, well two big fights if you count a very washed up Jose Luis Castillo. He's been KO'ed against the only two prime elite fighters he faced, and unless something crazy happens I don't see him fighting at that level again.
BernieBrown

Return to The Rumble Room