Text Size

The Rumble Room

Swerb's Top 20 Pound For Pound

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Swerb's Top 20 Pound For Pound

Unread postby swerb » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:56 pm

1. Manny Pacquiao - Best fighter I've ever seen with my own eyes. The entire package. So fun to watch. Amazingly improved his speed and power in moving up from 108 to 145. Fight with Floyd would be the biggest fight of my lifetime, surpassing Hagler/Leonard and Tyson/Lewis.

2. Floyd Mayweather Jr - Best defensive fighter I've ever seen with my own eyes. Public opinion has turned on him a little with the layoff, followed by the Marquez mockery. Needs to fight and defeat Pacquiao to be seen by the public how he sees himself.

3. Paul Williams - Some people have Mosley/Marquez in this spot. A win over Pavlik would have cemented Williams here at #3 ... but he has a hard time finding people to fight him despite a willingness to fight at 147, 154, and 160. Has the issue of not being a massive financial draw, an uncomfortable style (very tall, long reach, high punch output), and also very tough to beat.

4. Miguel Cotto - I still have Cotto here despite the loss. Cotto beat Mosley, and I don't think you can use the Margarito fights as a comp in comparing them. Mayweather's gloves were loaded vs. Cotto, and not loaded against Shane. Cotto showed his guts in the Pac Man loss. Took a lot of punishment vs Margarito and Pac Man ... also had hard fights vs Judah and Clottey. Will they start to have an effect on Miguel?

5. Shane Mosley - Looked really good against Margarito, but it seems like many forget ... Shane looked very average in the two fights before that, an unimpressive win over a shot Mayorga and a loss to Cotto. Shane is also 38, and has been through some wars. Still in great shape, and could easily stay productive into his 40's like Hopkins, but that is rare in this sport. Fight with Berto should tell us a lot.

6. Juan Manuel Marquez - Fought Pacquiao to a razor thin split decision loss just 20 months ago ... is it possible the men have separated that much in that short period of time? I think so. Manny has added 15 pounds of muscle, JMM is still best served at 130. And the Mayweather fight should not be used as evidence to knock him out of the top 10 lb for lb. Needs to get back to fighting 130-135 at the most. Still the best in the biz at that weight till I see otherwise. Ask Casamayor and Juan Diaz.

7. Chad Dawson - Very talented, very technically sound. He'll also bore the living shit out of you as he stays away from guys and uses his natural talent to 10-9 his way to easy wins against the bums at 175. If he was smart, he'd jump into this mix at 168 ... I think he could easily get down to that weight. How good would a Dawson/Andre Ward fight be?

8. Arthur Abraham - This guy has sold me. Unorhodox style, hard to hit, big strong guy ... who looks just as strong at 168 as he did at 160. He wears you down. Then starts to chop away late with his very good power. Andre Dirrell, very confident after holding his own vs Froch, will be another good test for him.

9. Bernard Hopkins - After taking Calzaghe to the limit, then dominating Pavlik ... was hoping we'd see Hopkins fight a couple more big fights. No one but Dawson at 175 though, and there's not enough money in that loss for him. And he's been unwilling to stay down near 168 and mess with some of the Super Six guys after beating Kelly. Instead? He'll fight a tomato can in a couple weeks here, then a well known tomato can in Roy Jones in the spring. By the time he's done with that he'll be going on 46 years old.

10. Wladimir Klitschko - Hard to tell just how good he is fighting bums like Brewster, Thompson, Rahman, Chagaev. Even against those chumps, it's easy to see this guy is a very good heavyweight. He'll never get the label as a great heavy cause he's had no one to prove it against. A win over David Haye would be a good start.

11. Israel Vasquez - Far from dominant in first fight back from eye injury suffered in 3rd fight with Rafael Marquez.

12. Rafael Marquez - Also has taken just one fight in 20 months since epic triolgy with Vasquez.

13. Vitali Klitschko - See #10.

14. Andre Ward - Very impressive beating of Mikkel Kessler vaults US Olympian into the pound for pound mix.

15. Timothy Bradley - 24-0 with four very legit wins in a row at 140. Under the radar.

16. Juan Manuel Lopez - After a meteoric rise at 122, struggled in his last fight against some guy with like 15 losses, putting a real step up fight on hold.

17. Ivan Calderon - Just keeps winning at a weight class (108) that gets next to no pub.

18. Nonito Donaire - Stepped up to 120 and looked average after a reign of terror at 112, which included early TKO wins over Darchinyan and Raul Martinez.

19. Chris John - Avenged BS Juarez draw by taking him apart in the rematch.

20. Kelly Pavlik - Had the world by the culones before a bad loss to Hopkins and a very bad staph infection in his hand. Can he come back?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Return to The Rumble Room