Text Size

The Rumble Room

Boxing in general

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Boxing in general

Unread postby Guest » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:11 pm

I just saw first hand the reason the UFC is so much more popular now than boxing and why I am souring on it so much.
The first fight on the Barrera Marquez fight was Steve Forbes from the Contender taking on Bernard Hopkin's nephew. The fights are promoted by Golden Boy Productions which B-Hop is a part of.
The fight was very very close and all the announcers and myself had Forbes winning.
Hopkins won a unanimous decision by 8 points on 2 cards.
The announcers even hinted it was because of the name recognition and who the promoter was.
Mannny Steward said he was speechless because of the scoring.
What a joke the sport is turning into.

Unread postby Guest » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:09 pm

From Fightnews.com:

In a defense of his USBA jr. welterweight belt, Demetrius Hopkins (26-0-1, 10 KOs) won a twelve round unanimous decision over former world champion and "Contender" finalist Steve Forbes (32-5, 9 KOs). It seemed like Forbes outworked Hopkins in most rounds, however two judges gave Forbes only two rounds while the third gave Forbes three rounds. Scores were 118-110, 118-110, 117-111

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:48 am

I think a major problem with boxing is the advancement of the media. Kinda like how politicians in the 50's and 60's got away with more hijinx than they do now. I'm of the opinion that boxing has been waaay more crooked and for a much longer time than even public perception.

A prime example would be Ali-Liston. There would have been much more research/knowledge about Liston's ties in 2007 than there was then. What was treated as hearsay or private years ago doesn't apply now. If they are going to get the public's trust back they'll have to do it honestly.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby furls » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:04 am

Spoon,

You know I love fighting, fights, and brawls of all sorts, but I hate boxing for the same reason that I hate politicians and pro wrestling; it ain't real, but at least politicians and pro wrestling have the decency to admit that they are fake and for entertainment use only!

For the better part of 60 years boxing has been rigged on and off, the empirical evidence and testimony of guys like Jake LaMotta proves it.

The biggest problem with boxing is that it is run by the promoters, not by a central sanctioning agency with any type of real juice the boxer (individually) is bigger than the sport (collectively). That is where the UFC is different. I just really hope that the UFC does not let the gyms and "camps" evolve into "promoters." Once promoters get involved, guys start ducking guys and things get shady.

I think they have a good handle on that, I just don't want to see anything bad happen to what is now my second favorite sport (right behind NCAA Football).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Guest » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:29 am

Pipe and Furls,
I agree with all of that and have known it for a long time. It just makes me sick. A guy trying to work his way up and has zero chance to win a decision. It wasn't unexpected by any means. It's just pitiful.

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:46 am

It is a shame, Fight, and the fact that Forbes must not be catering to the right people has much to do with that fight I would guess. To add to Furls post, which I agree with, when you add those promoters to a JUDGED sport....
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Guest » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:44 am

This is why boxing is becoming a joke.

http://www.maxboxing.com/Kim/Kim032607.asp

Unread postby jdrake10 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:14 pm

Cool topic. Boxing has always positioned itself to have the big payday super fights where everybody makes millions. You can't have any upsets or this does not happen. So decisions have always gone to the bigger name fighter. Shady dealings… To make matters work, this riff between the promoters has made it difficult to get the best fighters in the ring together. Boxing may never be able to get it back as UFC/Pride is just getting hotter.
jdrake10

Unread postby Guest » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:45 pm

When big fights go down like Mayweather vs De La Hoya I love it. You can tell when watching it the crowd is electric. It's just a damn shame most fights happen a year or two after they should.
The UFC has a great card every single month and even sprinkle the free Spike TV shows every few months.
April 5th Ultimate Fight Night on Spike and I'm pumped for it.

Return to The Rumble Room