Text Size

The Rumble Room

UFC 104: The fight of the year is finally here.

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

UFC 104: The fight of the year is finally here.

Unread postby XUDawg » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:12 pm

Mauricio Shogun Rua v. Lyoto Machida, UFC lightweight champion.

This fight is going to be great. My two favorite light heavyweights, now that Wanderlei Silva is hovering between the Rich Franklin 195 lb. division and the middleweight division. Machida, the champion has not lost a round on a judge's scorecard since his entry into the UFC. Up until this fight, he has been literally untouchable. He has his way with fighters. He moves in, combos, and moves out without getting hit. He counters fast. His judo and sumo throws negate any wrestler's strength in the clinch. His top game and jiu-jitsu are world class.

But he has yet to fight a fighter as dynamic as Shogun. Shogun's MMA Muay Thai style is tough. He combines speed, power, and agility in his striking. His ground and pound was legendary in Pride, and his flashy jiu-jitsu far outweighs Machida's. Plus, he is my FAVORITE FUCKING FIGHTER in the world.

Machida has won many decisions. But he's never had to work hard through all the rounds, other than in the Penn fight, which I'll get to. His decisions have always been easy fights where he loses no stamina and endures no damage. That may speak to his ability, but it also means he hasn't been tested. If Shogun figures out Machida's elusive timing in the stand-up, this fight is his. His ground game is better than Machida's, and his striking, although sloppier than Machida's traditional karate, is just as dangerous.

If Shogun loses, it will be by KO in the first round. But he's not going to lose. He will win via submission in the fourth round, after Machida gasses for the first time in his career, against a fighter of comparable skill. The only fighter he has fought to date with a skill level equal to his own is B.J. Penn. For those who don't know, B.J. Penn fights in a weight class fifty pounds lighter than Machida. And he took him to a decision. Shogun is equal in size to Machida. This is going to be interesting.

Machida's never seen this before:
ImageImage

But when he does, it'll be followed up by a triangle, armbar or something sick like a gogo, and he's going out or tapping.
XUDawg

Favorite Player: Nick Diaz
Least Favorite Player: Ben Roethlisberger

Re: UFC 104: The fight of the year is finally here.

Unread postby Guest » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:42 pm

Gogo? Settle down. I also don't think this is going to be anywhere near fight of the year, did you see the Cowboy vs Henderson?????
If he wins that way, you have a few Pound 4 Pound Apparel items coming your way, on the house.
Should be a good fight, I'm pulling for Shogun. Not a Machida fan at all.

Fisher vs Joe Daddy and Bader vs Schafer have pretty good potential.
I'm also a big Josh Neer fan.
A very good overall card.

Champ Lyoto Machida vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (for light-heavyweight title)
Ben Rothwell vs. Cain Velasquez
Josh Neer vs. Gleison Tibau
Spencer Fisher vs. Joe Stevenson
Anthony Johnson vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida
Ryan Bader vs. Eric Schafer
Patrick Barry vs. Antoni Hardonk
Yushin Okami vs. Chael Sonnen
Rob Kimmons vs. Jorge Rivera
Razak Al-Hassan vs. Kyle Kingsbury
Stefan Struve vs. Chase Gormley

Unread postby RedDawg » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:30 am

The Shogun was robbed by the judges.

He clearly was the aggressor the entire match, and exhibited nearly continuous ring control. Both he and Machida landed some hard punches to the head but neither were ever rocked.

Both traded leg kicks the entire match, but Rua did more often and with greater power. Machida looked stiff and wobbly in the final round, and I wouldn't be surprised if he has one or more cracked ribs.

This one stinks of rematch. Had Rua won, Silva would have gone up to 205 and spanked him. Then he'd own 2 belts, and I don't think the UFC wants that. No, they'll milk this matchup for two more fights and let Silva keep smoking every 185 pounder they throw at him.
RedDawg

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Rapistberger

Unread postby Guest » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:31 am

I had Shogun winning 4 out of the 5 rounds with the other being very close.
Rematch? I would hope so even though Machida didn't seem too interested in it.

Marquardt beats Silva if he gets his rematch.

Return to The Rumble Room