Text Size

The Rumble Room

UFC 102

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

UFC 102

Unread postby XUDawg » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:50 am

Well, Nogueira proved that the Mir fight was an aberration, which I thought it was. He thoroughly dominated Randy Couture, and showed why he is easily the GHOATNNF (greatest heavyweight of all time not named Fedor). I was happy for him to get back on his game.

Demian Maia got detroyed by Nate Marquardt with one devastating punch. I'm pretty sure Wanderlei Silva has Kit Cope training kickboxing at Wand Fight Team, but you wouldn't know it based on that telegraphed kick Maia attempted. Feel bad for him because he's a nice guy, but I gained a lot of respect for Marquardt for pulling that last punch once he realized Maia was out. Not that I don't respect guys who go hard until the ref needs to yank them off their opponent, because I actually love that fighter spirit; but you have to appreciate a guy with the self-control not to take that extra shot. Loved Henderson making that killing blow against the Michael Bisping. Also loved Marquardt not delivering the killing blow to Maia.

Thiago Silva proved once again that people who don't respect Keith Jardine's power always win.

Who didn't love getting to see eight fights, all of them entertaining on one PPV card?
XUDawg

Favorite Player: Nick Diaz
Least Favorite Player: Ben Roethlisberger

Re: UFC 102

Unread postby swerb » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:00 am

I watched it streaming online ... feed was choppy and kept cutting off. Did see the 7 second KO, did see glass jaw Jardine get put down. And all of Nogueira/Couture.

Gotta respect Couture. Age 46, he's just hit the end of the road. And just signed a six fight deal? Could be real ugly by the end of that.

That said, he hung in tough. Couple spots I thought he was done ... he stayed alive nice. Nogeuira looked real solid. Still can't see anyone being able to compete with Lesnar. Fired up to finally see Fedor fight coming up here on Showtime.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Return to The Rumble Room