Text Size

The Rumble Room

Chris Byrd

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Chris Byrd

Unread postby dmiles » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:10 am

Fight Dr. is he planning on fighting again? We had our school's opening day kickoff event or whatever it's called Saturday (culminates in the HS football scrimmage at the end of hell week). Anyway Byrd was there apparently they are enrolling their kids at the school this year. I hadn't followed or heard much lately, so I looked him up, it looks like his last fight he dropped a ton of weight to Lt. Heavyweight and it didn't take.

I really don't want to go up and ask the guy what his plans are, but just wondered if you'd heard anything. Like I said I was surprised the web site said he is planning on another fight. He was in fantastic condition as far as walk-around weight.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Re: Chris Byrd

Unread postby Guest » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:02 pm

There isn't too much talk about him anymore.
He lost 2 out of his last 3 and 3 out of 5.
We moved down to light heavy after a few bad losses.
His offical website doesnt have a fight or date listed.

Re: Chris Byrd

Unread postby dmiles » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:48 am

I realize it's probably not news for the hard core here, but what the heck this is fight forum, and as long as we are both here we'll see a lot of each other as our sons are the same age and his daughter is my wife's class. Interestingly when I spoke with him I didn't ask about fights, and I'd love to tell him "dude I used to buy your fights" but I hate bugging these guys. It's more about the kids in that setting.

He spoke today at our men's group at the school. Some of the highlights...
his dad trained fighters/ran a gym and from 5 years old on Boxing was the only sport he ever participated in other than pickup games. Compared his pops to Earl Woods... Said he was youngest of 5 brothers, 3 sisters and ALL of them knew how to box thanks to his dad.

Biggest disappointment was never getting to fight Tyson. He felt that if Tyson was frustrated by Evander, he'd go ape with Byrd's style.
Second biggest disappointment was not getting to fight Lennox Lewis once he became number 1 and in line for mandatory. (Lewis dropped out about that time).

Since Evander was #2 they fought for the vacant WBO? belt. Said Evander told him he really wasn't looking forward to the fight because his style was different and hard to prep for. Had to work under Don King to get the fight done and didn't really want to say much but you could tell he was not a big fan of Don.

Said biggest career mistake was dropping 35 pounds in the 5 weeks leading up to his last last fight. figured since he used to be a middleweight in the olympics that it would be fine but it really sapped his strength.

Does plan to fight again at Cruiserweight.

Also gave his christian testimony as that was really the point. I was surprised by how funny he was, he could spin a good yarn. Very nice guy too, gracious, and easy to talk to. As much as him and his wife kind of took a lot of grief during the fame years for their stance, they've done a good job as a family. The kids are nice, well-adjusted, etc. Many of the athletes around here who've been through ugly divorces end up having kids with a lot of problems, so say what you want these guys have done well.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Return to The Rumble Room