Text Size

The Rumble Room

Joe Frazier still simmering over Ali

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Joe Frazier still simmering over Ali

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:43 pm

Interview with Frazier to promote the upcoming series "Thrilla in Manilla" which will air tomorrow on HBO. Should be good, obviosuly no love lost between these two....

"I'm sorry that he is the way he is, but I didn't have too much to do with it. It was the good man above,'' Frazier said. "Maybe I did have a little to do with it, but God judges, you know what I'm saying? We don't have the power to judge that the man has above.''

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30155176/
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Re: Joe Frazier still simmering over Ali

Unread postby swerb » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:59 pm

Finally got a chance to watch this tonight. Spectacular. A must see for any boxing fan.

They dig deep into the history of Ali/Frazier ... the first two fights, then the last hour is pretty much on The Thrilla in Manilla.

I've seen the Thrilla on Classic several times. Never knew that if Frazier's corner didn't call the fight after the 14th, that Ali was gonna quit on his stool and not come out for 15.

Fight was a classic example why championship bouts are now 12 rounds. The abuse these men laid on each other was just amazing. Frazier had chopped away at Ali's body all fight, to the point where Ali collapsed off his stool right after Frazier quit after 14. Frazier took an alarming number of head shots, especially in the 13th and 14th. Frazier had fought for 10 years with only partial vision in his left eye, and told no one till his career ended. Ali had punched his right eye shut by rd 12. Frazier was fighting blind, literally, those last two rounds.

Amazing fight. Amazing story. Super documentary.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Joe Frazier still simmering over Ali

Unread postby Squints » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:22 pm

If I were in Frazier's shoes, it would be tough for me to forgive him too. This documentary made me realize the extent of what Ali did to and said about Smokin' Joe. Most other docs/movies etc. always present this rivalry biased toward Ali. To me, the most dis-heartening quote in the doc was Ali did and said all those slurs to "just promote the fight" and aplogized to his son, and not Joe himself.

Another thought after that doc is that Ferdie Pacheco seems about ready to check in to the asylum. My word, does he look and talk insane.

I love the HBO sports doc, could watch them all the time- "Do You Believe in Miracles?", OSU/Michigan, 1968 Olympics, etc... Liev Shrieber has the exact voice for these films.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Return to The Rumble Room