Text Size

The 19th Hole

Phil Shot Mentally For '06?

Discuss the PGA Tour, local golf courses, playing tips, and have any other general golf discussions on this board.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yogi

Phil Shot Mentally For '06?

Unread postby swerb » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:04 pm

Eight weeks have passed since his colossal melt at the Open.

Five weeks of not playing.

Other three weeks he posts a 22nd place, a 65th place, and misses the cut at the International this past week.

Any way Phil contends at Medinah this week, or at Firestone the following week?

I say no. And that he finishes outside the top 15 in both tournaments. Hes never played well historically at Firestone.

Phil is the ultimate motivational wildcard. Hes historically played terrible after big wins, and when motivated ... no one preps course harder or plays better in big events. We saw his game fall completely apart in 2003 before coming back in a big way the last 2 years.

I just don't think hes back yet. Heres hoping he gets his game back for the Ryder Cup coming up in 6 weeks though.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby pup » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:41 am

As long as they don't pair him with Tiger at the Ryder Cup again, he should be fine.

Doesn't Medinah set up prett good for Phil? I think it is pretty funny how he has gone the Tiger route and prepared only for the majors and played other tourneys as practice rounds or taken time off to go play courses early where the majors are being held. I heard he had made like 6 trips to the course the British was played on.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:14 pm

Especially now, with the way hes been shaping those different drivers, and with that lethal short game ... there's not too many courses on the planet that don't set up well for Phil.

Unlike Tiger, who is as strong mentally as anyone I've ever seen in any sport, the only thing that can stop Phil is whats between his ears.

Will be interesting to see how he fares at the PGA. He's been out to the course with Bones a number of times already, and will be as prepared as anyone.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:18 am

Phil and Tiger paired together for the first two days of the PGA.

Interesting.

Well, I guess we'll really see where Phil is at mentally.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Return to The 19th Hole