Text Size

The 19th Hole

Ryder Cup Captain for '10

Discuss the PGA Tour, local golf courses, playing tips, and have any other general golf discussions on this board.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yogi

Ryder Cup Captain for '10

Unread postby fundamentals » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:44 am

It will not be Paul Azinger, who I was hoping for. I cannot figure out why he wouldn't be selected given this year's peformance:

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=3755362
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Re: Ryder Cup Captain for '10

Unread postby swerb » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:15 pm

Shoulda bucked tradition and given it to Zinger again. He's the perfect captain.

This years win was nice. So was '99 ... then the Euros rattled off three straight after that win.

Need to win again in '10. Annointing Zinger 21 months before the next Cup would have kept Big Mo with the US, and made a statement to the Euros.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:12 am

Apparently they are going to announce tomorrow who the captain will be?
Not sure if it's not Azinger who they will decide on.
I think the U.S. dropped the ball so to speak on not keep 'zinger.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby fundamentals » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:04 am

The decision has been made, per ESPN:

Corey Pavin will be introduced Thursday as the next U.S. Ryder Cup captain, two officials with knowledge of the discussions told The Associated Press.

The officials said the PGA of America chose Pavin with hopes of bringing the U.S. consecutive Ryder Cup victories for first time since 1993. The pair spoke on condition of anonymity because the selection hadn't been publicly announced.

Pavin played on two winning Ryder Cup teams and was an assistant U.S. captain in Ireland two years ago.

The 2010 Ryder Cup will be played at Celtic Manor in Wales. The Americans have not won on European soil since The Belfry in 1993.

The PGA of America elected to not give Paul Azinger the captaincy for a second straight time. The U.S has not had a captain consecutive Ryder Cups since Ben Hogan in the 1940s.

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Return to The 19th Hole