Text Size

College Sports Arena

And Then There Were 7

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

And Then There Were 7

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:34 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/boxscore?gid=200611110075

Auburn takes their second asswhoopin (Arkansas) on their home field this year, getting pasted by an angry Georgia team that had lost 4 of 5. Tra Battle with three picks for the Dawgs. Most points given up by Auburn since '02.

Nine teams left for two spots in the national title game.

OSU
Michigan
Florida
Rutgers
Texas
Cal
USC
Notre Dame
Arkansas
Last edited by swerb on Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:09 pm

And, this increases the chance of The Game being replayed on Jan 8th.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:17 pm

If florida, texas, cal, and USC lose one more than Michigan vs. OSU rematch is a possibility, otherwise, it is not.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:30 pm

Furls wrote:If florida, texas, cal, and USC lose one more than Michigan vs. OSU rematch is a possibility, otherwise, it is not.

Furls, what if OSU beats Michigan 24-23. How could any sane pollster rank a one loss Texas team that got pasted in their own crib by OSU over a one loss Michigan team that went INTO OSU and took the Bucks to the wire?

The #2 team in the polls is at a huge advantage to be #2 in the BCS.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:44 pm

He who loses first, loses best.

That is a brand new Furlism, take it to the bank and quote it at will.

How many times this year have you heard the following:"

"Colt McCoy is a new quarterback."

"This Texas team is playing with a renewed sense of XXX."

"Texas has really grown up since the ass whoopin it took from OSU."

"Texas is a different team since the OSU game"

These are the same idiots that are voting.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:50 pm

I see it pretty unlikely that Michigan falls from #2 if they lose a nail biter.

The voters are in a unique position this year where they will essentially be able to select the Buckeyes foe in the title game if they beat Michigan. I just can't see them giving Texas a rematch after the mismatch in Austin earlier in the year.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:05 pm

I am telling you,

These guys are as opposed to an OSU vs. scUM rematch as McCarthy was to communism. They don't want to see it and since the press controls it, the loser of this game is FINISHED. (unless the game is the best one of the best ever played and ends up in 3OT).

I have said since August that these are the best 2 teams in the country and I think that the loser should get into the BCS game, but the guys who determine that are absolutely opposed to it, and once Michigan loses to OSU by 17 pts, it will no longer be relevant.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:09 pm

What if OSU loses to Michigan say 27-20 or something like that.....how could Texas be ranked ahead of the Buckeyes?
consigliere

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:22 pm

He loses first loses best
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:24 pm

Furls, you seriously think the pollsters will drop OSU below Texas if they lose 28-27 to Michigan? After they went into Texas and won by 3 scores?
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:25 pm

No way. Unless OSU gets absolutely raped by Michigan, Ohio State will be ahead of Texas in the polls.
consigliere

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:01 pm

Listen to the way the media talks about Colt McCoy, they make it sound as if he has played 452 games since the OSU game. I am telling you, if you lose the last game of the season, you are done.

The only hope is if you get a ton of help in championship games, e.g. Texas loses to Nebraska and Florida loses to Arkansas. Otherwise, the loser of the OSU vs. Michigan game is done!

He who loses first, loses best! THat has been the rule in college football forever and it continues today. Recently Cal was ranked over a Tennessee team that beat it (badly). This is the nature of polls.

The only way OSU plays in the NC game is if they win, the only way scUM plays in it is they win.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Guest » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:09 pm

Florida still stinks
Cal is done
Nebraska will beat Texas in the Big 12 title game like they should have 2 weeks ago.

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:36 pm

I am having a very hard time telling the difference between parity and mediocrity this year. I can't decide what is going on in the NCAA.

The SEC is good, but not as good as people are saying.
The Big Ten is garbage after OSU and Michigan
The Big East is garbage top to bottom.
The Pac Ten has 2 decent teams
The Big 12 is mediocre at best.
The ACC is actually worse than the Big East.

It is hard to say anything except Ohio State is the best team in the country and Michigan is the second best.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:58 pm

Furls wrote:It is hard to say anything except Ohio State is the best team in the country and Michigan is the second best.

Which is why they'll square off again in the Title Game. :wink:

Seriously....it is down to Florida, Texas, OSU, Michigan and USC. THAT'S IT! Screw Arkansas (50-14 blow out to USC) and Notre Dame (47-21 blowout to Michigan). And Rutgers has no chance.

And, does FLorida slip in the polls some? They are very over-rated.

If Michigan loses, no way Notre Dame is ranked above them, and if OSU loses, no way Texas is above them either. If Ohio State were to lose, unless they get absolutely bitch slapped, they fall to #2. That's it! They beat Texas....Florida and Notre Dame have escaped some losses. Only one who might knock us (or Michigan) out is USC. They are the true wildcard as if they win out with that ridiculous schedule they deserve a title game.
consigliere

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:29 pm

Looks like Texas is removing themselves from contention tonight.

I am calling the USC upset tonight too. I think USC will lose to Cal also. USC is extremely overrated. Also, Florida will lose the SEC title game to Arkansas.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Re: And Then There Were 9

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:10 am

Swerb wrote:Nine teams left for two spots in the national title game.

OSU
Michigan
Florida
Rutgers
Texas
Cal
USC
Notre Dame
Arkansas

Make that 7:

OSU
Michigan
Florida
Rutgers
USC
Notre Dame
Arkansas

I'm sorry, but I don't see Rutgers factoring in this. No way they get over a 1-loss Michigan or Ohio State.

And, one is gauranteed to lose between Arkansas/Florida and USC/Notre Dame (if neither loses before those games).

So, now you are basically down to 4:

Ohio State
Michigan
USC/Notre Dame winner
Florida/Arkansas winner

Someone tell me how the OSU/Michigan loser is definitely out of the mix? The ONLY team that I think screws over Michigan or Ohio State is USC. THat's it. I see no way that Florida, Arkansas, or Notre Dame are ranked above Michigan/OSU loser unless the loser gets absolutely mauled.
consigliere

Unread postby dpdad » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:35 am

Rutgers still has away games at Cincy and WVA, and I don't think they will go undefeated. It's going to come down to the OSU/UM winner against the ND/USC winner, I think.

I really hope Notre Dame wins out. It would be icing on the cake for the Buckeyes to whip the Fighting Irish for the national title.
dpdad

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:39 am

I really hope Notre Dame wins out. It would be icing on the cake for the Buckeyes to whip the Fighting Irish for the national title.

I couldn't agree more. How great would it be to demoralize ND two years in a row in Arizona, the second time for a national title.

That USC/ND Game is getting bigger by the day. I was up late last night, watched almost that whole USC/Ducks game. USC did impress me. I've been quick to dismiss them this year. However, the more and more I think about it ... I've got them as my #3 team in the nation right now.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:41 am

If Rutgers doesn't lose they deserve to play for the title.
Are they a top 10 team? Probably not.
If they beat WV in 2 weeks after beating Louisville, they would have beaten better teams than ND and USC have beaten.
You don't think people would want to see a Cinderella story playing for all the marbles????
Let's see what happens when the new rankings come out today.

Unread postby yargs7 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:17 pm

Swerb wrote:

I couldn't agree more. How great would it be to demoralize ND two years in a row in Arizona, the second time for a national title.

That USC/ND Game is getting bigger by the day. I was up late last night, watched almost that whole USC/Ducks game. USC did impress me. I've been quick to dismiss them this year. However, the more and more I think about it ... I've got them as my #3 team in the nation right now.

I woould like to see them play USC, but not ND because we already bitch slapped them 3 times in the past 10 years or so. It's time to spread the whoop ass around to the west coast (USC) or the dirty south (Florida). I want to see victory on all fronts. Kind of like Tressel's quest for national domination.
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:25 pm

It's time to spread the whoop ass around to the west coast (USC) or the dirty south (Florida). I want to see victory on all fronts. Kind of like Tressel's quest for national domination.

Yargs, that is excellent man. Post of the month. And good point. Normally, I would agree. But it's Notre Dame. Still, I need to think that through though before that game comes.

It's kinda like Patton. Always a great general. Tore through Sicily and made his bones. But he didn't become an immortal figure till he tore through France, Belgium, and then Germany like a hot knife through butter.

It may be time to send General Sweater Vest westward.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:56 pm

I want the Buckeyes to play Florida, why? To SHUT THE FUCKING SEC FANS UP.

I am about tired of hearing about how the Big Ten is slow, or that they "hit hard" in the south. Hmmmm, I think the Big Ten is pretty damn fast nowadays.

These guys are living on stereotypes created by Woody and Bo and the "three yards and a cloud of dust." It is high time that they see first hand, how Ohio State will spread the field five wide and destroy them down the field with speed, then line up in the power I and shove it down their fucking throats.

I think Arkansas is by far the best team in the SEC, but if OSU beats them, then people from the south will say, well it was just arknasas. It was a bad year for the SEC, I want Florida, the CROWN FUCKING JEWEL of the SEC.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby yargs7 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:10 pm

Agreed Furls.

OSU has just as much, if not more, team speed than any SEC team. Barry Alvarez said something on The Herd the other day about the misconception that the SEC has more speed than the Big 10. When Colin asked him if he used that to motivate his players before they pummeled Auburn last year Barry said, "absolutely...we don't have a bunch of slugs up here!"

I have zero respect for Urban Meyer. I'm sure some of you heard how he trashed OSU and ND while trying to land Lawrence Wilson. Wilson's father said Meyer tried to use the NCAA investigation of OSU to lure his son away from Tressel. Wilson said that Meyer's mud slinging led to Lawrence's decision to play for Ohio State.

When he was at Utah he whined about his team being undefeated and not getting a crack at the National Championship. Now, he is on the other side of the fence complaining about how his one loss team should get a shot instead of an unbeaten team from a lesser conference.

And that spread option offense sucks. Tress would disect that gimmicky junk and coach Meyer right off the field. Florida cannot line up and run the football. If you need junk plays to get 1st downs, you ain't gonna beat a disciplined team like Ohio State.

Unfortunately for us, I don't think we'll get to play Florida. I believe the Arkansas defense will shut Florida down and McFadden and Jones will run roughshod over the Gay-tors.
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:56 pm

You guys are selling me on Florida.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:35 pm

Wow. Rutgers DEFINITELY has a shot. The computers LOVE them....in fact, I believe their computer ranking was BETTER than OSU.

The computers hate OSU, but love Michigan. I see a Michigan loss not hurting them nearly as much as a loss by Ohio State. A loss for the Bucks, and they might be done. But, Michigan could maybe still get in with a loss.

Going back through the schedule, outside of Texas, the Bucks have played NO ONE all year. They missed out on Purdue and Wisconsin, two of the top 5 teams in the conference. No wonder the computers hate them.
consigliere

Unread postby Guest » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:04 am

Like I said, if Rutgers wins out, they deserve to play for the title.

Return to College Sports Arena