Text Size

College Sports Arena

buckeyes secondary

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

buckeyes secondary

Unread postby yargs7 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:42 pm

In addition to replacing the linebacking corp., the Bucks have some mighty big holes to fill in the secondary. Jamario O'neal has to be a lock to start somewhere. Most likely replacing Donte Whitner. I watched that kid in high school and he is lightning fast. He hits like a Mack Truck! He delivered the hardest hit I have ever seen in a high school game in the playoffs vs. A-town Fitch in 2004. I CANNOT wait to see him flying around the 'SHOE! I would imagine senior Brandon Mitchell has the upper hand at the free safety spot. He has a lot of snaps under his belt and played very well in spelling Nate Salley. At 6'3 205, he brings the wood. Sirjo Welch may push Mitchell, but at 6'0 185, he may find a home at corner. To me, Youboty's job is wide open. Welch may fit in here. He played very well on special teams. He was challenging for a spot last spring, but kind of disappeared with the emergence of Jenkins and O'neal. Also, incoming frosh Kurt Coleman is touted as a kid would get get a chance to start and I have heard Andre Amos' name mentioned in some circles.
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby Lebowski » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:40 pm

Losing Whitner and Youboty hurts.

I see O'Neal and Mitchell starting at the safety positions.

You have to think Jenkins will secure one CB spot, after his work this season as a true frosh. I liked what I saw out of him, and he definately got some good experience.

The other CB spot is a toss-up. I have a hunch that Amos will win the job; I've heard some great things about him and it seems the coaching staff is a really big fan. As you said, Welch is also a possibility, but I think the staff views him as a safety.

It should also be interesting in seeing who wins the nickle spot. Maybe a true frosh, like Coleman, impresses, but who knows. If Tress has a hard time finding someone, I wouldnt be surprised to see #7 back there playing the nickle. He was one of the nation's best CB his senior year in HS.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Return to College Sports Arena