Text Size

College Sports Arena

Buckeyes D

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Buckeyes D

Unread postby yargs7 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:45 am

Furls, great article on the Defense! I agree whole heartledly with you. I will say this...It's THE Ohio State University! They can lose 9 starters, 3 All-Americans, and simply re-load and not miss a flipping beat. Jim Tressel, in all his years at YSU and OSU, has NEVER put defense on the field that is less than stellar.
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby furls » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:41 pm

Thanks for the kind words, always nice to know someone is reading what you are writing (regardless of whether or not they agree).

I am not sure if I am totally on board with your optimism about "not miss a flipping beat." My optimism is much more guarded. I am quite certain that this year's defense will not be as good as last years. I think that defense may be one of the all time greats at OSU and maybe in recent college football.

They only ranked fifth nationally last year, but those numbers are very badly skewed by the fact that most teams resorted to throwing the ball underneath very early in the game. When teams throw the ball, they get yardage, but generally you cannot sustain a drive that way. There was no running on that defense.

As far as Tressel only putting "stellar" defenses on the field, I do not really agree there either. While the defenses under the Tressel years have been very good, they have also been "bend but don't break" defenses. I am not sure that I can call those stellar.

This is actually an ideal situation though for Buckeyes fans. I have no concerns about Coach Tressel's defenses, they are always good enough. I would much rather see questions about the defense than the offense, since offenses under Coach Tressel typically struggle to find their niche early on.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby swerb » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:18 pm

I couldn't agree more Furls. Even with elite offensive talent, Tressel will manage to make the fan base question his decision making, and his conservative nature will often result in the scoreboard levels not meeting the talent levels.

On the flip side, The Sweater Vest has always overachieved with his defensive units throughout his career.

The most likely scenario for the 06 Bucks is the offense not being able to live up to the unebelievable levels of hype its getting, compounded by Tressel's sometimes maddeningly conservative nature. And that the defense will outperform the criticisms of most of the national talking heads .... who simply keep restating that they must replace 9/11 starters, and not looking any deeper into it than that.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby yargs7 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:37 am

Ok. I overstated that quite a bit, but I was all fired up. You guys are Buckeye fans and I'm sure you understand the emotions that build up all month long leading up to game #1. I had just read some articles about how Ohio State's "D" is a big question mark and their inexperience could lead to a couple of losses. But everyone and their mother thinks Notre Dame will be in the National Championship. The same Notre Dame team that gave up 600+ yards in the Fiesta Bowl.

"Not missing a beat" was definitely an emotionally charged comment. My point was that they get top notch talent year in and year out.

Furls wrote:As far as Tressel only putting "stellar" defenses on the field, I do not really agree there either. While the defenses under the Tressel years have been very good, they have also been "bend but don't break" defenses. I am not sure that I can call those stellar.

Tressel's coaching philosophy demands a stout, "bend but don't break" defense. He recruits players to fit that style of play. You can't replace those linebackers, but IMO, the defensive lines at OSU are the most important part of the scheme. They "eat up" all the space and blockers and allow the LB's to run free. Also, they can get enough pressure on the QB by rushing four and dropping seven into coverage, which takes a ton of pressure off of the DB's. I read an article where Tress stated that this crop of D-Linemen might be one of the better groups he's had.

The "bend but don't break" style gives up alot of yards between the 30's. That is because JT doesn't take alot of chances and give up the big play. When the other team gets near midfield, the Bucks tighten the screws. They don't give up big plays often. It's damn near impossible to run on them. They make plays when they need to. I think the defenses have been outstanding.
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby furls » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:12 pm

A stout defensive line that eats up blockers and space is paramount to a good run defense. That is why Quinn Pitcock is (rightfully) on every All-American watch list. He plays with great leverage and strength. These traits probably come from his background in wrestling.

Speaking of wrestlers at defensive tackle:

March 8, 2006 - Dexter Larrimore, Wrestling, Merrillville Pirate
Our Centier Bank Performer of the Week is Merrillville senior Dexter Larrimore. Recently, at the United States High School Seniors National wrestling championship held at the University of Pittsburgh, Dexter finished first out of 47 competitors in his weight class of 275. He won 5 matches en route to the title. The combined records of his opponents going into the national tournament were 192-3. Overall record for Dexter this year was 49-0. He finished ranked #1 heavyweight in the country. Besides winning the IHSAA championship in the heavyweight division this year, Dexter has also previously won a state championship at 215. Dexter performed magnificently in winning this incredibly difficult and deep tournament.

By winning the national tourney, he automatically gained All-American status. Dexter is the 5th Hoosier wrestler to win a national title. Ironically, his head coach at Merrillville, won the national title as senior at East Chicago.

From: http://www.centier.com/community/schools/rrsnperformer/

I think this kid is going to be something special, next year.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pup » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:01 pm

When I look at defenses, the only stat that really matters to me is points allowed and the Buckeyes have been very good in that category under Tressel. Go ahead and make it to our 30, and then we are really going to attack and push you out of field goal range.

What I haven't really heard is how is the JUCO transfer (Larry Grant, I think) doing? I thought he seemed like a natural fit to step into a Bobby Carpenter role, but haven't heard too much lately.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:25 pm

What I haven't really heard is how is the JUCO transfer (Larry Grant, I think) doing? I thought he seemed like a natural fit to step into a Bobby Carpenter role, but haven't heard too much lately.

I heard on the radio the other day that Grant is expected to back up Kerr and Freeman outside (Lariunitis moved inside, Kerr outside) and play almost as much as them outta the gates.

Im surprised they moved Kerr outside. I haven't seen too much of him, but what I have seen screamed MLB. I'm assuming the move of Kerr outside is more of an indictment of him as a MLB than anything, and that it's certainly possible Grant could take his spot there as well by midseason.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby pup » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:27 pm

This is the same Kerr from Indiana a couple years back right? I can't believe he can handle the OLB job in this speed based defense. I thought he was a run stuffing middle.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:56 pm

Pup wrote:This is the same Kerr from Indiana a couple years back right? I can't believe he can handle the OLB job in this speed based defense. I thought he was a run stuffing middle.

Yes, and that was my same thought as well.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby furls » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:25 pm

Same Kerr, and I was a bit surprised by the move for the same reason.

I think the move for laurinaitis made sense. He is a bigger badder dude. Maybe Kerr has gotten faster. It is possible that Butch Reynolds may have helped him drop a tenth or two off of his 40.

Grant is supposed to be doing pretty well, but I fear his size may keep him out a bit (that and the fact that he only has 2 years of eligibility). I do think that he will get plenty of time at the beginning of the season, and most depth charts I have seen have him listed as one of the first guys off the bench.

How much time he sees this season may well be determined at the NIU game. Garrett Wolfe should definetly be a test of our speed on the outside and with two veteran tackles, I suspect the outside backers will have to really step up on the edge. Should Kerr prove a bit slow, I am sure that he will lose some time. As for now, I have to trust coach tressel's decision.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to College Sports Arena