Text Size

College Sports Arena

OSU to the Chip

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

OSU to the Chip

Unread postby bks92 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:23 pm

What do you think the chances of OSU getting back at the champion chip and if you think they will who will be the team they play
bks92
Michigan Sucks

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Michigan players

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:02 pm

I think their chances are as good as anybody else's (probably slightly better) but it doesn't mean it will be easy.

as to who they would play if they win out, way to early to tell IMO.

Teams like LSU and OK are still very much alive and could be right there with only one or two weekends of help from the teams above them.

Now (from here on out) more than any other time is the wrong time to lose and have a chance.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: OSU to the Chip

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:13 pm

bks92 wrote:What do you think the chances of OSU getting back at the champion chip and if you think they will who will be the team they play

The Buckeyes are in control of their own destiny. If they find a way to win all their remaining games then they'll be in.

I would guess that the same is true about USF, especially if BC falls to VT this upcoming weekend.

There are a lot of games still on the slate and a slip up by any of the current top three could make the picture VERY muddy.

I think the chances for any of those teams would diminish greatly if they lose and OK and LSU don't. A one-loss OK and/or LSU team will get in before a one-loss OSU, USF, or BC team.

No pressure.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby furls » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:19 pm

agreed. Furthermore, I could see an undefeated OSU or USF team get jumped if they do not win impressively within their conference and LSU does in the SEC. I think that if LSU is able to blow out their opponents in the SEC then they will earn a spot. They did only drop to 4 and still command a lot of respect from the pollsters (rightly so).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:40 pm

I think that if LSU is able to blow out their opponents in the SEC then they will earn a spot.

A bit late for that don't you think <cough> Kentucky <cough>, and they didn't exactly win big over Florida.

I agree they will be hanging around and command some respect from the voters but think just winning their games is the focus now by how much and and in what fashion will be nothing but bonus'. No guarantee they win out either now.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:32 pm

Furls wrote:agreed. Furthermore, I could see an undefeated OSU or USF team get jumped if they do not win impressively within their conference and LSU does in the SEC. I think that if LSU is able to blow out their opponents in the SEC then they will earn a spot. They did only drop to 4 and still command a lot of respect from the pollsters (rightly so).

That's why I'm pulling for Auburn this week. That and the fact that an Auburn win in Baton Rouge would reflect nicely on USF's schedule strength.

Much depends on the computers down the line. The top and bottom scores are thrown out to get the average. I'm fairly certain that USF will maintain its 100% computer rating if they win out. I also think that Ohio State will gain ground if they win out. They are not as highly ranked in the computers due to their early schedule, but all their remaining teams currently have winning records and I think it likely that MSU, Penn St, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan will all be bowl eligible. LSU will still get points off for their loss, but they also have the potential SEC title game and win there would be a big boost for them.

Still, the human polls often are reluctant to bounce undefeated teams. If OSU and USF are 1-2 in the future in both the Harris and Coaches polls and win out I think it would not be easy for even LSU to pass either team. Much depends on how the teams both teams have defeated end up playing. If WVU wins out then that helps USF's schedule. Same if Auburn continues to do well. The traditional strength of the Big Ten helps Ohio State here and will solidify them with the human pollsters. Anyone who has remotely followed college football knows that the Michigan game is never an easy one. Winning at Beaver Stadium is tough. MSU is much improved this year and coached by a man who's Cincy team did fairly well against OSU for three quarters last year. Illinois is also much better.

If a one-loss LSU or OK team leapfrogged either Ohio State or USF there would be some outcry. Skipping Ohio State would cause more because of the history of the program. My greatest concern is a pollster deciding to ditch an undefeated USF just because of the youth of the program. We have to get there first.

Once again, a playoff system would give all these teams a chance to fight it out and prove themselves. I think it's only a matter of time before we get one. Even if OSU and USF or even BC remain undefeated, I think LSU and OK and their fans will feel slighted. They'll point at OSU's early schedule or USF's lack of name recognition and claim that OK and LSU have more business being there. UK might do the same if they find a way to win the SEC East and beat LSU again in the SEC title game. I don't see that happening (in fact, I think UK will lose to Florida this week).

An Auburn win coupled with a Florida one would solve the UK and LSU scenarios.

Oklahoma still has some tougher games on their schedule - Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and the OK ST rivalry game. Then there's the Big 12 title game where we might find out how good Kansas is if they get there.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Return to College Sports Arena