Text Size

College Sports Arena

Saine & Small

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Saine & Small

Unread postby Mcreek » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:06 pm

Could be the playmakers to elevate the OSU offense into one of the most potent ones in the country provided of course Wells stays healthy.

OSU seemed to feature Saine this week and Small last week both running and recieving to give defensive coordinaters something to ponder and make the offense less predictable.

With these kind of weapons to go with Robiske, Hartline and Jake Ballard it takes alot of heat off Todd Boeckman who can operate more like a game manager instead of the focal point of the offense like Troy Smith was last season.

If OSU avoids the upset jinx and runs the table we could have an offense hitting on all cylinders that could be more competitive against an LSU, Florida or USC type defense in the NC.
" No big stars on the team is by design. "We can't afford to have the inefficiencies, even for a great talent. We need to function as efficiently as possible in our clubhouse, and that means guys have to know what it means to be a good teammate. We don't want to waste the energy on dealing with all those distractions. Besides, we value character over talent here in Cleveland---Mark Shapiro
Mcreek

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:13 pm

JT is evolving as an offensive coach IMO.

He is carefully and quite wisely picking his spots to try some things and yet at the same time not showing all his cards. IMO last year he showed all his cards way too early in the season and it was to easy for michigan and Florida to prepare for our offense.

I think JT is trying to avoid that this year.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby furls » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:47 pm

I have been really high on both of those two since they were recruited. I think you have to have some durability questions about Ray Small, but if he stays healthy he will be a game breaker. I cannot remember the last time Ohio State had a homerun hitting running back like Saine should be, maybe Robert Smith? I think in two years, if he stays healthy and has a line, Saine could be a legitimate Heisman type guy.

This is what I wrote on Saine when he signed this year:

If Wells does transfer I would expect the 2006 Ohio Mr. Football, Brandon Saine, to be catapulted into the two deep roster and see immediate play time. I am sure that this will become to cliché to type in a month or two, but Saine’s speed is “insaine.” Saine won the Ohio State Championship in the 100 meters as a SOPHOMORE. He returned as a junior to repeat, not only in the 100 with a state record (and nationally competitive) time of 10.38, but also won the 400. According to his track numbers, once Saine steps onto the field he will be the fastest player EVER to suit up in Scarlet and Grey. Track speed is different than football speed, but I am not sure that we will really be able to tell the difference. If you are expecting another Ginn-style burner you will be surprised because will Saine may have Ginn-like speed he does not share Ginn’s aversion to contact. Saine is not the type of back to bust out a bunch of moves and cuts; he will hit the hole hard and fast and if he gets to the second level full speed look out, NO ONE WILL CATCH HIM.

The Buckeyes will need Small to step up in order to force secondaries to stay honest on the outside on Hartline and Robo.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Mcreek » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:53 am

FUDU wrote:JT is evolving as an offensive coach IMO.

He is carefully and quite wisely picking his spots to try some things and yet at the same time not showing all his cards. IMO last year he showed all his cards way too early in the season and it was to easy for michigan and Florida to prepare for our offense.

I think JT is trying to avoid that this year.

I think that is why Florida killed our offensive line because we were so predictable. Now with Saine and Small we can slow down the pass rush with these slip draws and screens that could become big plays.

Eventually somebody will shut down this offense of Boeckman throwing bombs to Robo and Hartline. It may work against the likes of Kent, Akron, YSU and these other big ten creampuffs but not in Happy Valley where we always seem to struggle offensively. Small and Saine's presence could be just what the doc ordered to make us more versatile.
" No big stars on the team is by design. "We can't afford to have the inefficiencies, even for a great talent. We need to function as efficiently as possible in our clubhouse, and that means guys have to know what it means to be a good teammate. We don't want to waste the energy on dealing with all those distractions. Besides, we value character over talent here in Cleveland---Mark Shapiro
Mcreek

Unread postby Mcreek » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:59 am

Furls wrote:I have been really high on both of those two since they were recruited. I think you have to have some durability questions about Ray Small, but if he stays healthy he will be a game breaker. I cannot remember the last time Ohio State had a homerun hitting running back like Saine should be, maybe Robert Smith? I think in two years, if he stays healthy and has a line, Saine could be a legitimate Heisman type guy.

This is what I wrote on Saine when he signed this year:

If Wells does transfer I would expect the 2006 Ohio Mr. Football, Brandon Saine, to be catapulted into the two deep roster and see immediate play time. I am sure that this will become to cliché to type in a month or two, but Saine’s speed is “insaine.” Saine won the Ohio State Championship in the 100 meters as a SOPHOMORE. He returned as a junior to repeat, not only in the 100 with a state record (and nationally competitive) time of 10.38, but also won the 400. According to his track numbers, once Saine steps onto the field he will be the fastest player EVER to suit up in Scarlet and Grey. Track speed is different than football speed, but I am not sure that we will really be able to tell the difference. If you are expecting another Ginn-style burner you will be surprised because will Saine may have Ginn-like speed he does not share Ginn’s aversion to contact. Saine is not the type of back to bust out a bunch of moves and cuts; he will hit the hole hard and fast and if he gets to the second level full speed look out, NO ONE WILL CATCH HIM.

The Buckeyes will need Small to step up in order to force secondaries to stay honest on the outside on Hartline and Robo.

The Saine/Smith comparison is interesting. I recall Smith being caught from behind in a bowl game against Auburn yrs ago. I remember Smith being more of a long strider.

I haven't seen enough of Saine to determine his running style but he turns the corner like Eric Dickerson from the little i saw of him.
Mcreek

Return to College Sports Arena