Text Size

College Sports Arena

OSU To Be Number one!!!!!!!

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

OSU To Be Number one!!!!!!!

Unread postby bks92 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:56 am

Buckeyes will move to number one from number 3 since LSU and Cal lost. I bet Boston College has a chance of being 2 LSU will in my thoughts move down to 7 or 8 and Cal to 10. The Buckeyes have a 3 tough more teams Penn State, Wisconsin, and M!(#!&@N. Wisconsin lost to Penn State and Illions. Penn State lost to M!(#!&@N. Michigan lost to Oregon and I think we all know who else......... The little league Pee Wee team. The defense can shut out Penn State maybe a little trouble with Wisconsin but the most trouble with Michigan since with Chad Henne (who looks like he should be in the army) Mario M., Arrington, and Hart (who looks like a hamster). But I think they can a great chance to be in the chip. Comments?
bks92
Michigan Sucks

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Michigan players

Re: OSU To Be Number one!!!!!!!

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:41 am

bks92 wrote:Buckeyes will move to number one from number 3 since LSU and Cal lost. I bet Boston College has a chance of being 2 LSU will in my thoughts move down to 7 or 8 and Cal to 10. The Buckeyes have a 3 tough more teams Penn State, Wisconsin, and M!(#!&@N. Wisconsin lost to Penn State and Illions. Penn State lost to M!(#!&@N. Michigan lost to Oregon and I think we all know who else......... The little league Pee Wee team. The defense can shut out Penn State maybe a little trouble with Wisconsin but the most trouble with Michigan since with Chad Henne (who looks like he should be in the army) Mario M., Arrington, and Hart (who looks like a hamster). But I think they can a great chance to be in the chip. Comments?

I believe Herbstreit said that Ohio State has lost 5 of 7 games at Beaver Stadium. A team that was better than PSU lost there in 2005, so that's a game to be concerned about. The Buckeyes can win there, but I don't expect it to be easy. There've been many times the Bucks have gone to Happy Valley with a team that should have beaten the Nittany Lions but come up short. That'll be an interesting game to see how this team can handle going into a nasty opposing venue. Ohio State may be at a disadvantage if the game is close because they haven't had to play a tight game yet this year.

Wisconsin has often been trouble for OSU and beat the Bucks last time they played. That was in Columbus just like this year's game. The Buckeyes are the better team in this matchup too, but they'll be coming off a possibly difficult game against Penn State and Wisconsin may be looking to salvage their season. That Badger should be able to handle Northern Illinois, but Indiana would love to upset them.

It would also be dangerous to look past Illinois. They gave the Bucks a game last year, IIRC, and are better this year. It will depend on which set of Illini turn up because the loss to Iowa was disappointing, but overlooking them would be bad. Depending on what happens between now and then, the Fighting Illini may have aspirations for the Big Ten title. If they win out in the Big Ten then I believe it's theirs. We'll know more when they play Michigan next week in Champaign.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby furls » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:57 am

All good points Mac.

Right now, you have got to be concerned as a Buckeye fan that none of their previous games have prepared them to play good teams. Right now, here is the way I look at the Buckeye's season:

It is like the Buckeyes went on a trip to the batting cages and have spent the entire time in the soft ball cage with an occasional foray into the 40MPH cage. Fortunately, I don't think anyone, save Michigan is pitching any harder than 60, but wearing a #1 tag will cause a lot of teams to try to overthrow.

What is even more concerning is that I am not sure that anyone save Michigan (if they do infact have their act together, big if) can do anything to help prepare them to play with the Big Boys should Ohio State find itself in a NC game. This weekend, go to the batting cage, hit in the 40 MPH cage for a while, then jump into the 80+ cage. Even if you can hit the 80+ pitches normally, after playing in the 40 cage it is a lot harder to get around.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:16 pm

Furls wrote:What is even more concerning is that I am not sure that anyone save Michigan (if they do infact have their act together, big if) can do anything to help prepare them to play with the Big Boys should Ohio State find itself in a NC game. This weekend, go to the batting cage, hit in the 40 MPH cage for a while, then jump into the 80+ cage. Even if you can hit the 80+ pitches normally, after playing in the 40 cage it is a lot harder to get around.

It is a big if, but I do think the possibility of it being Lloyd's last game at Michigan and his last tilt with OSU could really rev them up. The thing that is interesting with Michigan is that they normally don't kick the crap out of Big Ten teams like they did to Purdue. While ND sucks, they did put the wood on them worse than other teams have. The matchups this year could help Michigan too. Boeckman has looked good, but he's a pocket passer. The running QBs seem to give Michigan the most issues. Mike Hart also would play a huge role. I don't think the Buckeyes have yet played a team that was consistently good at running the ball.

I'd say all bets are off if the Buckeyes stroll into Ann Arbor with a #1 ranking and a Big Ten title on the line. It should be another good game at the least.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:33 pm

Furls wrote:All good points Mac.

Right now, you have got to be concerned as a Buckeye fan that none of their previous games have prepared them to play good teams. Right now, here is the way I look at the Buckeye's season:

It is like the Buckeyes went on a trip to the batting cages and have spent the entire time in the soft ball cage with an occasional foray into the 40MPH cage. Fortunately, I don't think anyone, save Michigan is pitching any harder than 60, but wearing a #1 tag will cause a lot of teams to try to overthrow.

What is even more concerning is that I am not sure that anyone save Michigan (if they do infact have their act together, big if) can do anything to help prepare them to play with the Big Boys should Ohio State find itself in a NC game. This weekend, go to the batting cage, hit in the 40 MPH cage for a while, then jump into the 80+ cage. Even if you can hit the 80+ pitches normally, after playing in the 40 cage it is a lot harder to get around.

I'll go with Mac's assessment for the remainder of the campaign and believe that there will be no light touches amplified by the #1 ranking. The bullseye is squarely on the Bucks back at this point.

We'll see how they respond because the intensity level of their schedule makes it now at least twice as difficult from week to week as any game already played.

I would think that the only game played so far that has had any degree of difficulty would be the trip to Washington. For the most part, half of the difficulty was the trip itself and the other half was the matchup. The trip may well prove to assume a greater degree of difficulty than the game at the end of the season.

I would say the Purdue game could be on the list, but after the way the Bucks and TSUN manhandled them. Purdue now would figure to be a fairly representative team for the middle-of-the-pack.

The pre-season for the Bucks has now ended and we're going to find out about whether the offense can work well enough to move against a defense that may actually have some playmakers (we'll see a few of those in the coming weeks). We'll also see if the D is really as good as it has shown so far.

My guess is that the D is every bit as good as advertised, but that the O is a question mark and we need to see if Beanie Wells can rack up yardage against better Big 11 Ds and whether Boeckman can make adjustments in his game and bring enough variety to the whole offense to keep opposing Ds off balance.
Cleveland: Where the Tower is Terminal and the Lake is (e)Erie- Alex Bevan
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby furls » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:09 pm

Polls are out: OSU #1 BC#2 USF#3 in one poll and OSU#1 USF #2 BC#3 in the other. BC will be exposed sooner or later, they are maybe a top 10-15 team, not a top 5.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:34 pm

Furls wrote:Polls are out: OSU #1 BC#2 USF#3 in one poll and OSU#1 USF #2 BC#3 in the other. BC will be exposed sooner or later, they are maybe a top 10-15 team, not a top 5.

They play Virginia Tech next week, so they could be exposed really soon.

I'd say that OSU and USF should win their upcoming games while I think VT really should beat BC. Even so there is a threat against both Ohio State and USF.

There's the Dantonio storyline with Michigan State, though it is in Columbus. MSU will be looking for a solid win to legitimize an improvement in their team. I'd think their chances would be better in East Lansing.

Rutgers beat USF last year as Ray Rice ran for over 200 yards. That was down in Tampa. USF does have more weapons on offense this year and their defense has improved, but they need to contain Rice. Flustering Teel early could allow them to concentrate on the run. If they can limit Rice then they should be able to win easily because Teel will make mistakes if the running game isn't successful.

I think VT is a better team that BC. There is shame in VT's loss to LSU because it was so one-sided, but VT is still a good team with a strong coach in Beamer. The game is also in Blacksburg.

It's not gonna be easy from here on out for any of those top three teams. They've all got big targets on their backs.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby bks92 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:24 pm

I only saw the top ten if you have seen the rest can you tell me if the school up north was or was not in the top 25.
bks92
Michigan Sucks

Least Favorite Player: Michigan players

Unread postby g00p » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:39 pm

that team is ranked in the top 20, i believe its 19
g00p

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:41 pm

Michigan is ranked #25 in the BCS. They were ranked 25th by the Harris and 26th by the Coaches. I think the computers placed them around #24 and that's how they're #25 in the BCS.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:58 pm

IMO the reason this current system is just BS and should be wipe out is evidenced in the AP poll itself.

Kentucky is still ranked behind LSU.

Enough said.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:10 pm

Congrats on the top two spots, fellas.
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Return to College Sports Arena