Text Size

College Sports Arena

Buckeyes #1 ?

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Buckeyes #1 ?

Unread postby mswerb » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:49 pm

With Cal and LSU losing, it looks good for the Scarlett and Gray.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Re: Buckeyes #1 ?

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:51 pm

mswerb wrote:With Cal and LSU losing, it looks good for the Scarlett and Gray.

Not too sure I want that spot with the way things are going. :eek: :o :-o
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Buckeyes #1 ?

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:57 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
mswerb wrote:With Cal and LSU losing, it looks good for the Scarlett and Gray.

Not too sure I want that spot with the way things are going. :eek: :o :-o

You guys can have it. I'd rather USF stay get #2 with the knockoffs happening, especially with Rutgers coming up.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby swerb » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:58 pm

Unbelievable.

MSU at the Shoe next week ... then we suck it up for the stretch run.

Sat, Oct 27 at Penn State
Sat, Nov 3 Wisconsin
Sat, Nov 10 Illinois
Sat, Nov 17 at Michigan
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:40 pm

The BCS ranking may be pretty tight between Ohio State and USF. It's a question as to where USF falls in the Coaches and Harris Polls versus where OSU is in the computers.

USF is probably going to be close the consensus #1 with the computers. Of the four released so far, USF was #1 in one, #2 in two, and #3 in two. Ohio State was #1 in one, #5 in two, #4 in one, and #6 in another. The question there lies in how the computers will handle LSU, Oklahoma, Cal, etc due to strength of schedule and other factors. Will those one loss teams be ahead of OSU? I really couldn't tell you because I don't know the algorithms. I also don't know if USF will leapfrog OSU in the one computer poll. There's also another that will not be released until the BCS is released.

Point being, if OSU and USF finish 1-2 in both the human polls then a lot will depend on how OSU gets voted #1. I believe they will be #1 in both, but will they get all of the first place votes or will USF steal some? Will USF be rated ahead of the one loss teams? It was close with BC last week. Will BC's fairly tight game against ND compared to USF's blowout against a team that may be perceived as better than ND be enough to nudge USF ahead of BC?

Depending on how things play out, it could be a pretty tight ranking. I expect OSU to be #1 in the BCS but the computers may make it close depending on how the human polls work out. The computers may guarantee USF the #2 slot, because BC is not looked upon kindly by the computers.

Auburn's win against Arkansas will help USF in those computers, strengthening our schedule.

I guess as someone who loves numbers the whole BCS calculations intrigue me. I'm at least happy that we beat up another team pretty badly. I think that may sway some of the human voters to at least give us the benefit of the doubt and put us over BC and the one-loss teams. I'd be perfectly happy with #2 because if we win out then I'd expect to play in the BCS title game. Long way to go, though.

Ohio State, USF, Arizona State, Kansas, BC, and Hawaii are the only undefeateds left. I'm pulling for Kansas mainly because we play them next year and I'd like that to be considered a quality game, but we'll see.

Of those undefeated teams, I do think OSU and USF appear to be the best of the lot though I wouldn't put it beyond the other BCS conference undefeated teams to be able to win against either team in a tight one.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Return to College Sports Arena