Text Size

College Sports Arena

Cal Going to lose.

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Cal Going to lose.

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:07 pm

It is late in the game and OSU looks to be in good shape.

Bummer for Cal because Longshore is banged up, but in today's NCAA it doesn't matter who you play or who is injured, all that matters is that you win.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby fundamentals » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:11 pm

31-21 with 6 minutes left in the game. OSU will be number one next week, wow.
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:21 pm

fundamentals wrote:31-21 with 6 minutes left in the game. OSU will be number one next week, wow.

Maybe. Cal just scored a TD and should pull within 3 with 2 minutes left.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby fundamentals » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:25 pm

Onside kick goes to Oregon State.

Oregon State runs three plays and will now punt.
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:39 pm

Wow. Dumb QB play by Cal. Wow. Just throw it away and you tie the game.

He's a redshirt freshman, but he still should have known better.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:39 pm

One of the worst plays I have seen a QB make in a long time.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:43 pm

Don't look now, but Cincy is about to go down to Louisville in Cincinnati.

These upsets are a hell of a lot of fun, especially when your team can benefit.

Guess I now have common ground with Bucks fans. :)
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby swerb » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:00 pm

It's all shaping up Mac, the stars are aligning ...

OSU - USF for the national championship in the BCS title game.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby fundamentals » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:12 pm

OSU won't make it to NCS game. Their rugged non conference schedule will be their downfall. And is it me or does the Big Ten appear to be terrible?
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:22 pm

Swerb wrote:It's all shaping up Mac, the stars are aligning ...

OSU - USF for the national championship in the BCS title game.

That would be interesting. I'd be getting tickets to the game in NO if USF is there.

Still got to win out. Rutgers won't be easy with Ray Rice. Cincy still will be tough. Can't write off Louisville or the cold weather game in Pissburg.

Michigan may be a problem for Ohio State. I normally wouldn't say this about them because of Carr's track record against Tressel, but I see two scenarios that will be playing out there:

1. The players fight for Carr, knowing they are playing for the job of the coach they love.

2. The players know that Carr is gone and this is his last OSU game. This is what I call the Earle Bruce Scenario, recalling his final UM/OSU game.

Penn State and Illinois may be pretty tough. Beaver Stadium is a tough place to play in and they lost last time they were there. Ohio State is the better team, but that doesn't necessarily make for a winner every week.

Long way to go for both teams, but it is exciting right now.

USF is a real trip for me. I watched them start play in I-AA in 97 and 98. Never in my wildest dreams did I see this coming. I thought that we might fight our way up the ladder over a period of 20 years or so, but the ACC's raid of the BE turned out to be a blessing. Now we've got national exposure, a state of the art athletic facility, and we play in a very nice stadium (though demand for an on-campus job is building, though Coach Leavitt wants something as good or better than Ray Jay - if we built that with a higher capacity then Super Bowls in Tampa would be played on USF's campus, a nice dream to have). I remember all the trailers by the Sun Dome that Coach Leavitt and his staff worked out of and the decrepit training facilities. I'm amazed that we went 9-2 in our first I-A year (and got snubbed for a bowl just because Southern Miss kept us out of CUSA for that year even though we beat CUSA team, including them IIRC) with how bad things were.

Leavitt has become a national name. Alabama went after him twice and he refused to leave. K-State came calling after Snyder, his mentor, retired. He stayed. He's been given a big raise and grew up in St. Pete. You never know, but I hope he's our Bobby Bowden or Joe Paterno - and it'd be really special because he built it all from scratch.

Funny thing about him is with his good salary (it's at $1million per year or higher now - along with greatly increased salaries for his whole staff - he used Alabama's pursuit to get USF to give large raises to his coaches) is that he still drives an early 00s green Ford Taurus. The guy has always been so nice when I've met him (he does a weekly show on the local ABC station my father works at) and you can tell how excited he is. He works so hard, only putting his family above it. A few hours after the WVU game, he admitted that he went and started breaking down the film for the next opponent.

There are other guys like that. I'd expect that most good NFL and I-A coaches are so dedicated, but the energy, modesty, and focus is always striking to me.

I'm also excited about our basketball program. Stan Heath got screwed at Arkansas to our benefit. He did some great things with Kent State. I'm still debating about whether I want to buy a full season or part of it because of work, but I'm excited there too.

I know you guys are excited as well. This season has been a really fun ride so far both for the teams we root for and the upsets we've witnessed. Parity has come to college football and if it continues like this then we definitely need a legit playoff of AT LEAST eight teams. I prefer the 16 team system used by the other divisions. They think the bowls make money, but I think they'd make far more with a legit playoff and the bowls to reward good teams that didn't get into the playoffs.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:25 am

Not to be a dick here but I see Louisville beating USF.

Also I will add the way the season is going I can totally see the Buckeyes losing a game. Not b/c I don't think they are legit or can handle it, it just seems that college football will not let a team run the table this year and tOSU has enough tough games left on their schedule.

I wouldn't be surprised to see OK in the drivers seat when this all settles.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:30 am

And is it me or does the Big Ten appear to be terrible?

I see it as almost the opposite, they are actually a decent conference this year evidenced by everybody beating everybody up again.

Sorry but one conference cannot benefit from that type of rep when another one suffers from it.

They aint the best conference but they are so far off of the others to think they are terrible.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:48 am

FUDU wrote:Not to be a dick here but I see Louisville beating USF.

It is entirely possible. I do like that we're playing them here and that it will be a sell out. That's no guarantee, though. They won't be easy. Neither will Rutgers or Cincy. UConn beat us two years ago in Hartford and we have a game in Pittsburgh to end the season. Florida teams often can have problems in the cold - at least the Bucs always have.

Also I will add the way the season is going I can totally see the Buckeyes losing a game. Not b/c I don't think they are legit or can handle it, it just seems that college football will not let a team run the table this year and tOSU has enough tough games left on their schedule.

Agreed there too. Penn State likely won't be easy even though OSU is the better team. I think they were back in 2005 too, but PSU has been tough on the Buckeyes.

Wisconsin, though certainly not nearly as good as people thought they were, has often proven to be a pain in the ass for the Bucks.

Illinois could be too. I like the matchups, but the Illini that showed up today wouldn't have a chance.

And, of course, Michigan. I've stated that this will either be a fight for Lloyd Carr's job or a sendoff for Carr's career. The players expressed a love for their coach early in the season after the two opening losses. If they weren't lying then this could be a toughy like it often is. I'd normally think the Buckeyes would still win due to Tressel, but there might be an Earle Bruce thing going on like when the Buckeyes knew he was leaving. Granted, Bruce actually had had some luck beating Michigan.

That's not an easy road to hoe and you can't overlook the Michigan States of the world either.

Thing that sucks for USF is that we'd be discounted with just one loss. The traditional schools, however, would still be in the fight.

I wouldn't be surprised to see OK in the drivers seat when this all settles.

That could be too, though they've got plenty of chances to flub it as well. They've dropped the ball at the end of the season before and OK ST would love nothing better.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Return to College Sports Arena