Text Size

College Sports Arena

Any upsets this weekend?

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Any upsets this weekend?

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:49 pm

Does anyone besides me think Notre Dame beats Boston College this weekend? (ninja2)
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:31 pm

Funny you should say that because I have a buddy who swears ND will win this weekend. I agree that BC is overrated, but I don't think they are that bad. But then again, on any given Saturday.

At the beginning of the season I had an eye out for the UNC / Carolina game, so that is one I'll keep an eye out for.
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby swerb » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:17 pm

Washington wins at Arizona State
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:18 pm

Syracuse over Rutgers
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby pup » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:46 pm

Central Florida over South Florida.

Iowa over Illinois.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:17 pm

Wake Forest over Florida State
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:43 pm

Even if you don't really mean it, I love where this could potentially go. :lol:
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby pup » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:10 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:

Even if you don't really mean it, I love where this could potentially go. :lol:

(~)
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:05 am

Here are some top 25 teams that I have circled as being in "danger games" or on upset alert:

1.) USF (offense is too inconsistent and UCF can score)
2.) Tennessee (MSU is a little better than people thought and Phil Fulmer sucks. I am not sold that Tennessee is good based on one ass whoopin against GA)
3.) Wisconsin (they have no business in the top 25)
4.) Oklahoma (Missouri is better than people think)
5.) Cincy (first test of any sort this year, will Louisville put up some points? and if they can will the Bearcats keep up?)

The only one of those that I think is very likely is #3.

I could also see LSU struggling at KY some, but I don't think they will lose. It will all come down to whether Woodson can continue to not make mistakes.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:38 pm

Well, a buddy from Canada and I have $2 on ND over BC, VAN over GA, MISS over OK, and two other games to win $560. So I'm hoping there's some upsets.

I think ND has a very legitimate shot beating Boston College. Weis may have figured it out.

God I'm hoping your prediction doesn't come true Swerb. That's one of the other games on that $2 parlay.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:15 pm

1.) USF (offense is too inconsistent and UCF can score)
Wow, USF looked really good, I am saying that off the box score, I watched most of that game in between OSU plays.

2.) Tennessee (MSU is a little better than people thought and Phil Fulmer sucks. I am not sold that Tennessee is good based on one ass whoopin against GA)
Still not sold on Tn.

3.) Wisconsin (they have no business in the top 25)
and they wont be come tomorrow.

4.) Oklahoma (Missouri is better than people think)
It is early and Mizzou is still in the game.

5.) too early to tell.

I could also see LSU struggling at KY some, but I don't think they will lose. It will all come down to whether Woodson can continue to not make mistakes.

wow, that is all I can say.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:58 pm

Furls wrote:1.) USF (offense is too inconsistent and UCF can score)
Wow, USF looked really good, I am saying that off the box score, I watched most of that game in between OSU plays.

Yes they did. Thanks for the compliment, btw.

Compliments to your Buckeyes also for taking care of business. They looked much better against this MAC team than they did against the last one they played. I had no doubt they would beat Kent State, but wasn't quite sure how dominant they'd look. They looked very dominant. Now you get into the tough part of your schedule. Michigan State shouldn't be tough, but Penn State has been a more difficult game for the Buckeyes the past few years and it's at Beaver Stadium.

I think Wisconsin has proven that they suck.

Ditto Purdue.

I think Illinois is much better than they showed today.

USF stepped up today. The offense found some rhythm and our bench players got some experience.

Too bad George Selvie isn't getting Heisman talk. I know that defensive players (especially a lineman) don't, but he's been very impressive. 20.5 tackles for a loss and 11.5 sacks, I think. Might be 12.5. It's a pain in the neck finding defensive stats that have been updated.

He'd never win it, but he's been an amazing performer so far.

With LSU's loss and the possible upset of Cal, OSU and USF may be 1-2 when the BCS comes out tomorrow.

Maybe we can play for the title and see how good the Big East is? Long time to go for both teams until then. An Oregon State win could make us look better down then line because of Cincy's win if we can take Cincy.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:04 pm

You know, I was thinking the same thing about the Heisman going to a defensive player. Selvie is as good a choice as any, but I was thinking perhaps Dorsey until LSU lost today. In order for Dorsey to have won it, LSU would need to be by far the best defense in the country and I am not sure that they are anymore.

Selvie has been as good as anyone I have seen this year. It is pretty interesting that no one seems to be a Heisman front runner. If scUM can go on a run, you could see Mike Hart move up. He does deserve some consideration for the way he has absolutely carried them.

I have no ideas on the Heisman this year.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:11 pm

I agree that there are more good teams in both the SEC and Pac-10, but what I have noticed after watching the last few weeks of NCAA ball, is that I don't think there is a team out there that is head and shoulders above anyone.

LSU might be with Doucet healthy, but as for now, their offense is pretty one dimensional and it cost them today.

Cal looks uninspired.

Ohio State has their problems, I think their O-line is overrated.

I just don't see any separation or complete teams in the top 5, hell even in the top 10. I really wish there was a playoff this year.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:30 pm

Furls wrote:
I have no ideas on the Heisman this year.

There's no one that really stands out, at least not on offense.

Selvie might have a shot if he ends up with 20+ sacks on the season and over 30 tackles for loss. It'd be a long shot though because DLs aren't flashy. Woodson got it because he made some very flashy plays and was the primary reason Michigan went undefeated that year. His offensive contributions also probably helped him.

Maybe if we let Selvie run in a few TDs?
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:33 pm

Furls wrote:I agree that there are more good teams in both the SEC and Pac-10, but what I have noticed after watching the last few weeks of NCAA ball, is that I don't think there is a team out there that is head and shoulders above anyone.

LSU might be with Doucet healthy, but as for now, their offense is pretty one dimensional and it cost them today.

Cal looks uninspired.

Ohio State has their problems, I think their O-line is overrated.

I just don't see any separation or complete teams in the top 5, hell even in the top 10. I really wish there was a playoff this year.

I'm starting to see it your way. I think either the dominance is gone from the top teams or a lot of other teams have gotten really good. I think it's a combination of both.

I'm also unsure that anyone will finish undefeated. That might be good if A LOT of one loss teams are up there because it could create a perfect storm to make a playoff of some kind come sooner.

The LSU loss was an eye opener. I think they still may be the best in the nation, but just the performance of them and Kentucky really shows off the parity.

It's certainly becoming a very interesting season.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:21 pm

I'm calling it right now.

NO ONE finishes undefeated. You'll have 5-8 1-loss teams, and the shit will hit the fan. This might finally be what gets us a playoff.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:43 pm

Consigliere wrote:I'm calling it right now.

NO ONE finishes undefeated. You'll have 5-8 1-loss teams, and the shit will hit the fan. This might finally be what gets us a playoff.

That definitely would cause shit to hit the fan. I'd root for it to happen if not for my team being in the mix right now. I'm sure Bucks fans are in the same boat.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:01 pm

The LSU loss was an eye opener.

Great coaching job by Rich Brooks yesterday. He was fantastic, had his guys ready to play, never panicked, top notch ball. Also, congrats to the OSU fans as well as Mac for reeling in the top 2 spots in the BCS. Much deserved.
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:38 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:Great coaching job by Rich Brooks yesterday. He was fantastic, had his guys ready to play, never panicked, top notch ball. Also, congrats to the OSU fans as well as Mac for reeling in the top 2 spots in the BCS. Much deserved.

Thanks. I'll feel better about it if we have one of those spots come the end of November. Right now it's making me nervous as hell. Rutgers is already talking about how they need to win this game to get some legitimacy back. They are right about that, but I don't sympathize at all.

It's much less nerve racking with lower expectations and no big target painted on your back. It comes with the territory if you want to play with the big boys and I'm happy that we are.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:39 pm

Rutgers and Louisville games are both on the road for the Bulls?
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:44 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:Rutgers and Louisville games are both on the road for the Bulls?

Rutgers is on the road. We get Louisville and Cincinnati at Raymond James.

We're at Rutgers then at UConn. We follow at home versus Cincy then go to Syracuse. Louisville then comes to Tampa and we have to go to Pittsburgh for a cold weather game in late November. That's something that always makes us southern teams a bit nervous, though we have a much improved running game this year as opposed to last year.

None of those teams can be looked past, especially since they're all going to be looking to prove something against the new Big Boy of the Big East.

Most of the teams on the top don't have an easy go of it over the last half of the season. I certainly don't envy LSU's schedule and they were already ballsy by SEC standards for scheduling VT early in the season. That paid huge dividends for the Tigers because they looked amazing against a good VT squad.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Dozen » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:54 am

Consigliere wrote:I'm calling it right now.

Thats not exactly a reach and the college football season IS a playoff from week 1. No need to exploit them and put the kids at risk any more before they can actually get paid for it.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:58 am

Dozen wrote:Thats not exactly a reach and the college football season IS a playoff from week 1. No need to exploit them and put the kids at risk any more before they can actually get paid for it.

Feh.

So, if no one finishes undefeated and we have 5-6 one-loss teams, lets let a computer and human opinion polls decide who plays in the NC game.

The system is a joke. An 8-team playoff would be epic and destroy the NCAA basketball tourney as the most popular sporting event. It would only be two more games for two of the teams, one more game for four teams. If it is such a big deal, have teams drop from 12 games to 11 in the regular season.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Dozen » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:41 am

Consigliere wrote:
Dozen wrote:Thats not exactly a reach and the college football season IS a playoff from week 1. No need to exploit them and put the kids at risk any more before they can actually get paid for it.

Feh.

So, if no one finishes undefeated and we have 5-6 one-loss teams, lets let a computer and human opinion polls decide who plays in the NC game.

The system is a joke. An 8-team playoff would be epic and destroy the NCAA basketball tourney as the most popular sporting event. It would only be two more games for two of the teams, one more game for four teams. If it is such a big deal, have teams drop from 12 games to 11 in the regular season.

I disagree, sure it has it's warts :P :-P :razz: but since going to this system there have been better games during the season (like OSU vs. Texas) to obtain stength of schedule points. I am interested in the 8 team playoff though.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:57 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:Syracuse over Rutgers

Waiter, another round of the Wrongness Souffle over here!

Looked good for a half ... then, not so good.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:39 pm

Consigliere wrote:The system is a joke. An 8-team playoff would be epic and destroy the NCAA basketball tourney as the most popular sporting event. It would only be two more games for two of the teams, one more game for four teams. If it is such a big deal, have teams drop from 12 games to 11 in the regular season.

Everybody wants a playoff system, but the thing is I don't see anybody offering solutions around why there isn't a playoff system in place. We can say an eight-team playoff would be epic, but if that's really the case, then why hasn't the NCAA made any changes? The thing is, there's more to it than just Miles Brand waving his hand and saying 'Make it so'.

Door Number One: Where do you schedule it? If you start in December, than what becomes of the other remaining bowl games? You can't leave them as they are, nobody's going to watch - or sponsor - if there's a competing playoff game going on. You could incorporate them into the playoff structure, but either way that's still going to heavily suck for the thirty-odd programs that will find themselves shut out of the postseason. Not to mention what the demise of the bowl game would do to the structure and relative balance of Division I-A. Now, if you go for January, now on you're running alongside the NFL playoffs and I'm not sure the NCAA wants to go there. Not to mention the bowls would still be less relevant, and less profitable.

Door Number Two: How many teams get in, and how do you decide who makes it? I agree that teams are going to get screwed in the current system. But an eight-team playoff is not going to be a fix-all. Whoever the polls and computers leave at #9 is gonna get just as screwed as whoever's #3 now. And with the parity of Any Given Saturday, #9 could very well have a good case too. Now you could increase it to 16 teams and that would cover all the contenders, but four weeks of playoffs? On top of that, if you're starting in January, now your BCS Bowl is going up against the Super Bowl. Again, I'm not sure if the NCAA wants to go there.
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:41 pm

Consigliere wrote:The system is a joke. An 8-team playoff would be epic and destroy the NCAA basketball tourney as the most popular sporting event. It would only be two more games for two of the teams, one more game for four teams. If it is such a big deal, have teams drop from 12 games to 11 in the regular season.

System is a joke, though still better than what preceded it.

I just wish the schools would stop with the horseshit about a playoff being bad for the students. Every other level of football and all other college sports have a tournament and they don't bitch and moan about how it hurts the students.

I wish the schools were just honest. All the big conferences make a fortune under the current system and they don't know how the big pile of money they currently make would compare to the big pile of money they'd make with a playoff system.

There's also the argument for tradition. Would a playoff eliminate the Rose, Sugar, Orange and Fiesta bowls? What about other historic games like the Cotton Bowl? I'm one for incorporating those venues and maybe a few others into a playoff system. Being biased, I'd like to see the Tampa somehow get in the mix too - and the stadium here is certainly nicer than some bowl venues out there.

With an eight team playoff you could just keep the current BCS lineup and have the first four playoff games. You'd then rotate for the second round and championship game between those locations.

I'm a proponent of a 16-game playoff, though I suspect an eight team version will come first. It will eventually get to 16 like the other divisions. That would either open up the possibility of the first round games being hosted by the top eight seeded teams or see the rotation of right locations.

There's also the possibility that they could play the championship like the Super Bowl and rotate the city, giving other southern cities that don't have a current BCS bowl a shot to host. Atlanta, Tampa, Jacksonville, Dallas, Orlando (after the Citrus Bowl gets the major renovation that's coming like the Gator Bowl received in Jacksonville), Houston, San Diego, etc.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:25 pm

I wish the schools were just honest. All the big conferences make a fortune under the current system and they don't know how the big pile of money they currently make would compare to the big pile of money they'd make with a playoff system.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. Money talks....
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:09 am

Bayou Tribe wrote:Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. Money talks....

I don't know. If my money talked I'd probably burn it because I'd think it was a witch. Knowing my luck, it'd probably turn me into a newt first.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:27 am

Bayou Tribe wrote:

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. Money talks....

Exactly. and in the current system they have the money, and they control the money. End of story. EVERYTHING is done with money in mind today. If sports cared about the fans there'd be 1,000 things different. They care about the fans money.

And, to the point of the type of money a playoff sytem would generate. It might generate similiar numbers, but right now it's EASY. They would have to do more tinkering in a playoff system in which unknown winners go to unknown locations.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby furls » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:14 pm

And, to the point of the type of money a playoff sytem would generate. It might generate similiar numbers, but right now it's EASY. They would have to do more tinkering in a playoff system in which unknown winners go to unknown locations.

There would be serious complications about distribution of money. RIght now the money is split up between the 60ish teams that go to bowl games and their respective conferences, in the event of a playoff, that money would become much more centralized within the top 8-16 conferences and a playoff would actually probably hurt overall revenues by causing a lot of apathy regarding the bowls that no longer fit into the playoff. A 16 team playoff would require 15 bowl games and would render the other 18 or so as interesting and relevant as the NHL.

I am not sure that the increased interest from the playoff would create higher revenues for the existing 5 BCS games and I am sure that they would have to convince the NCAA that the increase in revenue for the other ten playoff games would lead to an overall increase in gross revenues after considering the inevitable losses to the minor bowls. Personally, I think the numbers would work out, but i am not sure... I don't have access to all the facts. If you don't think the NCAA has already done this work then you are crazy.

This year could be a strong argument for the playoff if USF and OSU lose or if just one loses and the BCS is left to sort through 1 loss teams leaving everyone pissed off. There is no way you can tell me there is equity in the BCS, right now, as it is set up, the system rewards weak schedules and weak conferences with the best opportunities. Ohio State has been among the most successful teams in the BCS system, but that doesn't mean that I like it, or that I think it is best for college football.

..... and if i have to hear about how the NCAA regular season is a playoff one more time, I may just puke in my mouth. You show me the round robin tournament where you get to pick your competition from the bottom of a pool of school girls. The system is not a playoff, but it does force teams to play their best every week and win or lose their chance at a title. A playoff at the end would not diminish that. Can you see a team saying well, we are probably going to get a 2 seed anyway, so who cares about the Michigan game?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:27 pm

Exactly Furls. And, the most pertinent point in the above post is the fact that the NCAA has probably done the financial work on the bowls vs. playoff sysytem about 10,000 times already. If a playoff system would clearly generate more cash, we'd have a playoff system.

If it were what was best for the fans, there wouldn't be a thread in the football category talking about holding the Super Bowl across the pond.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:52 am

Furls wrote:..... and if i have to hear about how the NCAA regular season is a playoff one more time, I may just puke in my mouth. You show me the round robin tournament where you get to pick your competition from the bottom of a pool of school girls. The system is not a playoff, but it does force teams to play their best every week and win or lose their chance at a title. A playoff at the end would not diminish that. Can you see a team saying well, we are probably going to get a 2 seed anyway, so who cares about the Michigan game?

Agree. I couldn't see OSU or Michigan not caring about that game. Tradition will not be diminished because of a playoff.

Another interesting thing to consider in regards to a playoff - should I-A or whatever it's called see a reduction in the number of teams?

It has been discussed in the past, but are there too many teams in the division? I tend to think there are while fully realizing that my Bulls benefited from easy access to I-A, especially for a market the size of Tampa.

Should there maybe be three different Division I subdivisions? I'm not sure how many teams are in I-AA (FCS).
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:03 am

Furls wrote:You know, I was thinking the same thing about the Heisman going to a defensive player. Selvie is as good a choice as any, but I was thinking perhaps Dorsey until LSU lost today. In order for Dorsey to have won it, LSU would need to be by far the best defense in the country and I am not sure that they are anymore.

Good article follows considering Selvie for the Heisman. Didn't know that his dad's a Navy vet. That might catch Furls' attention. ;)

Time to Get Defensive About Heisman
By KEVIN B. BLACKISTONE,AOL
Posted: 2007-10-16 18:16:52
Filed Under: College Football
Sports Commentary

By all accounts, "Miss Witherspoon" by Christopher Durang, "The Intelligent Design of Jenny Chow" by Rolin Jones and "Red Light Winter" by Adam Rapp were very fine new plays two seasons ago. Time called "Miss Witherspoon" one of the year’s 10 best plays while "The Intelligent Design of Jenny Crow" and "Red Light Winter" won Obies (the award for off-Broadway theater).

The three were nominated for 2006 Pulitzers. The winner was -- none. It wasn’t the first time the committee decided nothing was worthy of its hardware and the loot and lore that goes with it.

I wish the folks who hand out college athletics’ most-coveted award would do nothing when warranted too. This season is nearly one of those. Heisman candidates are falling faster than top-ranked teams.

What is preseason Heisman favorite Darren McFadden’s most-memorable moment? Standing on the sidelines with a concussion when his Arkansas teammates, 0-3 now in the SEC, needed his all-around offensive game the most in a loss to Alabama.

USC quarterback John David Booty has a broken finger to excuse all his interceptions and an upset loss to Stanford.

Kentucky quarterback Andre’ Woodson led an upset of LSU last weekend in rebounding from a miserable outing at South Carolina.

Florida quarterback Tim Tebow has two losses and so does Michigan running back Mike Hart. Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan has a five-interception outing.

Quarterback Matt Ryan is the main reason Boston College is undefeated and third-ranked in the BCS. But there are half a dozen or so quarterbacks with more prodigious numbers.

This all explains why fans in Louisiana started touting LSU defensive lineman Glenn Dorsey for college football’s honor of its most outstanding player, usually reserved for touchdown makers. This season is shaping up perfectly for a defensive player -- a real defensive player who doesn’t return kicks or dabble on offense like Charles Woodson did as a cornerback in winning if for Michigan in 1997 -- to storm The Downtown Athletic Club.

Dorsey, however, whose Tigers fell from No. 1 and the undefeated list last week, isn’t the best defender for the award. He is George Selvie, the sophomore defensive end for the BCS’ suddenly and surprisingly second-ranked and undefeated South Florida Bulls. Indeed, Selvie even has the individual statistics to back it up, just like Pittsburgh’s Hugh Green did in 1980 when as a defensive end he finished second in the Heisman race to South Carolina running back George Rogers.

Selvie is merely the best pass rusher in the country, leading the nation in sacks. He is the reason South Florida is so stout against the run. When it shutdown the nation’s leading rusher, Central Florida’s Kevin Smith, last week, Selvie accounted for four tackles behind scrimmage. Tackles for loss is another category in which he leads the nation.

Selvie is the reason South Florida has the 11th best defense in the nation and, if everything ended this October 16th, would be preparing to meet Ohio State for the national championship game.

"His [Selvie’s] numbers are almost freakish," South Florida defensive line coach Dan McCarney told me Monday. "They’re almost to the point of ridiculous."

McCarney said he keeps two charts on his wall. One is for sacks; the other is for big plays. Pictures of the players who account for each are appended to the charts.

"We ordered more pictures of Selvie because I ran out of them," McCarney said.

Selvie didn’t promise so much when he arrived at the Tampa school from Pensacola. South Florida was the only Division I program that offered him a scholarship. And he came as a lanky offensive lineman. He was redshirted. He spent that year winning an award for his work in the weight room. Where’d the discipline come from? Selvie’s father is a 20-year Navy veteran.

Coach Jim Leavitt tried him first at center but moved him to the other side of scrimmage last season because his depth chart there wasn’t as deep. Selvie made Leavitt look like a genius. In an upset at then-seventh ranked West Virginia last season, Selvie made eight tackles and returned a fumble for a touchdown to earn a National Defensive Player of the Week honor.

McCarney said Selvie’s best game this season was against West Virginia again, when he helped shutdown the Mountaineers speedy backfield duo, Pat White and Steve Slaton. West Virginia was ranked fifth then.

"No one was faster than Selvie that game," marveled McCarney.

That was the second ranked team this season that Selvie led his team past to victory. The first was then 17th-ranked Auburn, at Auburn. This Thursday Selvie and South Florida go to last season’s Cinderella, Rutgers, led by another outstanding running back, Ray Rice.

Selvie isn’t the biggest defensive lineman in the country. He stands 6-4 and weighs just 245. He was 15 pounds lighter as a freshman before his second college offseason weight-training program.

But what makes Selvie special, McCarney said, are his speed, quickness and tenacity.

"We ran him on a slant the other day against UCF and he almost got to the mesh point [where a handoff was being made] before the quarterback,” McCarney said.

Selvie caused a fumble and South Florida recovered and went on to the rout that helped propel them to No. 2 in this season's first BCS poll.

There isn't a player on a top team who is standing out more right now than George Selvie. That’s a definition of Heisman winner.

Kevin B. Blackistone is a regular panelist on ESPN's Around the Horn, an XM Satellite Radio host and a frequent sports opinionist on other outlets such as National Public Radio and The Politico. A former award-winning sports columnist for The Dallas Morning News, he currently lives in Hyattsville, Md.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Return to College Sports Arena