Text Size

College Sports Arena

PD Buckeye Beat Writer Blasts Pollsters

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

PD Buckeye Beat Writer Blasts Pollsters

Unread postby pup » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:07 am

Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby furls » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:27 pm

The polls are a ridiculous exercise in futility. It must be hard for National media guys to get their ballots in with their heads sandwiched between their butt cheeks.

We have all seen how shoddy national media coverage of anything is.... in the NFL I am convinced that only the Pats and Colts exist (all other teams are just patsies put into the league so they don't have to play each other every week). I am equally convinced that in the minds of the national media moguls, the only baseball teams that matter are the Yankees and Red Sox. Think about it, what have you heard more about today; ARod opting out and Torre being fired, or the Indians pitching staff?

It is the same way in college football. These guys only watch a few teams; the SEC, USC, and top five teams. That is it. Everything else is just reading a box score. So each week they vote on teams based on some stats and scores (that do not always reflect what is happening) and then fill in the blanks with a collection of familiar names and "darkhorses du jour" (teams like USF, Cal etc.).

What is very sad is that this mentality is actually what determines the final outcome nationally. THat is why I say, the only championships that truly matter are conference championships because those are the only one's that teams actually earn. The others are awarded.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:55 pm

Furls wrote:The polls are a ridiculous exercise in futility. It must be hard for National media guys to get their ballots in with their heads sandwiched between their butt cheeks.

We have all seen how shoddy national media coverage of anything is.... in the NFL I am convinced that only the Pats and Colts exist (all other teams are just patsies put into the league so they don't have to play each other every week). I am equally convinced that in the minds of the national media moguls, the only baseball teams that matter are the Yankees and Red Sox. Think about it, what have you heard more about today; ARod opting out and Torre being fired, or the Indians pitching staff?

It is the same way in college football. These guys only watch a few teams; the SEC, USC, and top five teams. That is it. Everything else is just reading a box score. So each week they vote on teams based on some stats and scores (that do not always reflect what is happening) and then fill in the blanks with a collection of familiar names and "darkhorses du jour" (teams like USF, Cal etc.).

What is very sad is that this mentality is actually what determines the final outcome nationally. THat is why I say, the only championships that truly matter are conference championships because those are the only one's that teams actually earn. The others are awarded.

Not to mention the bias that exists. My Dad is still pissed about the national championship Richard Nixon took away from Penn State based on his public recommendation.

Watergate he was OK with, but don't mess with his Nittany Lions.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Return to College Sports Arena