Text Size

College Sports Arena

After this weekend...

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

After this weekend...

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:49 pm

I think it is safe to say college football is up for grabs.

While I type this LSU is still trailing Fla by 3 with 6 minutes left, whether or not that games stays the same I think it is fair and reasonable to say our Buckeyes are on equal footing with anybody in the country after their shutout of Purdue tonight.

B/C they did shut them out.

The argument can now be made for 3 or 4 teams to be ranked number one IMO.

With the recent losses of OK, WVU, Fla, USC and possibly LSU there is not a team out there that has shown the complete domination of a unanimous number one.

Not to be a homer but the one unit that has been most consistently impressive this year has been OSU's defense. Granted they have not played the toughest offenses every week but the bottom line is that D is dominating everyone in every aspect of the game. I've mentioned this all year, this defense is top notch and totally legit. Not a better one in the country, and when ever you can say that you can say you have shot at the title.

Now, there is a ton of football left and my point here isn't to prematurely label anybody as anything, but premature labels are this year's flavor in college football.

This appears like it will get extremely interesting in the next month and most likely will not be more than one undefeated team in the mix come late November.

What are the rankings going to look like Monday morning?

LSU
Cal
OSU

or

Cal
OSU
LSU/Fla

or even

LSU
OSU
Cal

or

OSU
Cal
Fla/LSU

Cal could drop one due to being idle, after all USC did. I am not a fan of that but you never know.

LSU just took lead with less than a minute left.

Just a great season so far.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13358
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:05 am

It can only look like this:

LSU
Cal
OSU

or

LSU
OSU
Cal

Great game by both LSU and Fla.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13358
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: After this weekend...

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:06 am

FUDU wrote:I think it is safe to say college football is up for grabs.

While I type this LSU is still trailing Fla by 3 with 6 minutes left, whether or not that games stays the same I think it is fair and reasonable to say our Buckeyes are on equal footing with anybody in the country after their shutout of Purdue tonight.

B/C they did shut them out.


Not if LSU pulls this out. LSU and Florida seem to me to clearly be the class of college football.

BTW, last I checked Ohio State did not shut out Purdue. They did for much of the game, but Purdue got a score and more people are watching the UF/LSU game. Many voters may not realize how good Ohio State looked on defense. There's still the pesky problem of them beating Purdue - a team that was exposed and is not all that great.

The argument can now be made for 3 or 4 teams to be ranked number one IMO.


Not really solid arguments outside of the LSU/UF winner.

With the recent losses of OK, WVU, Fla, USC and possibly LSU there is not a team out there that has shown the complete domination of a unanimous number one.


LSU has now won the game. They are #1 and there's no question about it.

Not to be a homer but the one unit that has been most consistently impressive this year has been OSU's defense. Granted they have not played the toughest offenses every week but the bottom line is that D is dominating everyone in every aspect of the game. I've mentioned this all year, this defense is top notch and totally legit. Not a better one in the country, and when ever you can say that you can say you have shot at the title.


Bullshit. Maybe OSU is that good, but please play somebody before declaring it. Of all those teams you've mentioned you've failed to mention that Ohio State has played the easiest schedule. Purdue will be out of the Top 25 after tonight and Wisconsin could be out of it by the time you play them. This is going to significantly hurt the Buckeyes down the road when schedule strength factors into the BCS. I can almost guarantee that if there are three teams left undefeated at the end of the season and Ohio State is one of them along with LSU and another that Ohio State will likely get left out in the cold because that horrible schedule will come back to bite them in the ass.

Now, there is a ton of football left and my point here isn't to prematurely label anybody as anything, but premature labels are this year's flavor in college football.

This appears like it will get extremely interesting in the next month and most likely will not be more than one undefeated team in the mix come late November.

What are the rankings going to look like Monday morning?

LSU
Cal
OSU

or

Cal
OSU
LSU/Fla

or even

LSU
OSU
Cal

or

OSU
Cal
Fla/LSU

Cal could drop one due to being idle, after all USC did. I am not a fan of that but you never know.

LSU just took lead with less than a minute left.

Just a great season so far.


Ohio State may jump over Cal because of Big Ten homers voting in the AP poll. I'm sure that Tressel will continue to vote the Buckeyes number one like he did last week in the Coaches.

Long time to go, but one thing is clear: Ohio State is the one playing the easiest schedule from here on out. It may pay off, but it might bite them. It could also further embarrass Big Ten if OSU plays LSU and gets the shit beat out of them again like they did against the Gators. I have a feeling that that will happen if anyone outside of the SEC has to play LSU. The best hope is for someone in the SEC to beat them because I'm not sure anyone else would be capable of doing it.

The SEC is light-years beyond any other conference. The more I see of it the more it becomes obvious. Flipping between the OSU/Purdue and the LSU/UF game, you could really see the speed difference. OSU is fast for a Big Ten team, but they don't look SEC fast.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll
 
Posts: 3925
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:39 pm
Location: Tampa, FL
Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:07 am

FUDU wrote:It can only look like this:

LSU
Cal
OSU

or

LSU
OSU
Cal

Great game by both LSU and Fla.


Shame because Florida is better than Cal or Ohio State. They probably won't get another shot at LSU because it'll be hard to win the SEC East with two losses.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll
 
Posts: 3925
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:39 pm
Location: Tampa, FL
Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby furls » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:30 am

LSU and Florida seem to me to clearly be the class of college football.


Apparently Auburn must be pretty classy, and then MSU by proxy, then USF by proxy^2.

Clearly there is no class of college football. LSU looked vulnerable tonight. Florida is not that great, good yes, great not so much. They are vulnerable down the field and I think they will drop another one to South Carolina.

Shame because Florida is better than Cal or Ohio State. They probably won't get another shot at LSU because it'll be hard to win the SEC East with two losses.


Florida is a one trick pony this year and I am not sure that they could keep up scoring with Cal and I am not sure that their trick would be effective with OSU. You have your opinion and it is what it is, you found a way to find 15 teams in the country that you think are better than the team that will be no worse than #3 at the end of the week. The list is pretty ridiculous, but it is what it is, a measure of how jaded your opinion is.

BTW, last I checked Ohio State did not shut out Purdue. They did for much of the game, but Purdue got a score and more people are watching the UF/LSU game. Many voters may not realize how good Ohio State looked on defense. There's still the pesky problem of them beating Purdue - a team that was exposed and is not all that great.


Right on there, except I think Purdue is better than you are giving them credit for. It looks like Ohio State's defense has actually faced some pretty good offenses this year and has done a pretty good job on them.

Not really solid arguments outside of the LSU/UF winner.


LSU is #1 until proven otherwise, but I dont think they are as far ahead of the pack as everyone thought at first.

Purdue will be out of the Top 25 after tonight and Wisconsin could be out of it by the time you play them. This is going to significantly hurt the Buckeyes down the road when schedule strength factors into the BCS. I can almost guarantee that if there are three teams left undefeated at the end of the season and Ohio State is one of them along with LSU and another that Ohio State will likely get left out in the cold because that horrible schedule will come back to bite them in the ass.


Purdue will be out that is true, but they will be back. They are a good team. Illinois will finish the year in the top 15, besides, it does not matter, there will not be 3 undefeated teams left at the end of the year.

that horrible schedule


Strength of schedule ibears very liitle weight in the BCS, that is one of the big travesties of the entire system. It is better to play a weak ass Big East schedule and go undefeated than play a strong SEC schedule and take a loss. The polls carry MUCH of the weight.

OSU is fast for a Big Ten team, but they don't look SEC fast.


Nice, are they Big East fast? or just ACC fast?
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6445
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:31 am

LSU and Florida seem to me to clearly be the class of college football.


How do you figure Fla?

Seriously, they have lost two games in 6 weeks. Of course you will say Auburn are world beaters b/c you have vested interest in Auburn's perception this year.

BTW, last I checked Ohio State did not shut out Purdue. They did for much of the game, but Purdue got a score and more people are watching the UF/LSU game. Many voters may not realize how good Ohio State looked on defense. There's still the pesky problem of them beating Purdue - a team that was exposed and is not all that great.


Anybody with half a brain knows it was a shutout. The voters know it as well. But you're right getting your ass kicked (and shut out) for 59 minutes and 51 seconds and then scoring really does expose the opposing defense? :oops

Funny how good Purdue was considered until a few minutes into the game.

If Purdue won it would be OSU was overrated I am most certain.

LSU has now won the game. They are #1 and there's no question about it.


Of course. Obvious.

I can almost guarantee that if there are three teams left undefeated at the end of the season and Ohio State is one of them along with LSU and another that Ohio State will likely get left out in the cold because that horrible schedule will come back to bite them in the ass.


Well who do you think those three teams could possibly be?

Go ahead and say it, you know you want to, say it, USF. The whole world knows how that would play out if USF and OSU were both undefeated behind LSU.

Ohio State may jump over Cal because of Big Ten homers voting in the AP poll


Unreal mac. Of course something like bias would be the cause of this, of course.

The SEC is light-years beyond any other conference. The more I see of it the more it becomes obvious. Flipping between the OSU/Purdue and the LSU/UF game, you could really see the speed difference. OSU is fast for a Big Ten team, but they don't look SEC fast.


Funny how facts are getting in the way of that, not that I really care but just look. I mean that elite Georgia team is doing wonders for the SEC, same with Auburn. It's LSU and then everybody else in the SEC.

OSU is faster than any other team in the nation on D, it showed tonight. Freaky speed to the ball.

Shame because Florida is better than Cal or Ohio State. They probably won't get another shot at LSU because it'll be hard to win the SEC East with two losses.


You really need to realize that 2006 was 2006 and stop basing everything off of that. Fla has not done much to show why they are better than either Cal or OSU.

Like I said originally, the most impressive unit in college football this year is OSU's D, the only unit to consistently play to it expectations and dominate the opponent. Purdue scored in every single quarter of every game this entire season, until tonight.

You're right, Fla most likely will not get another shot at LSU b/c of its two losses, but then Fla. just needs to win more games and that wouldn't be an issue.


Fla, and TBone are doing a decent ob of showing they have been overrated this year, as much of the early season rankings were.

You should be happy after today (USF will move up to unprecedented levels and probably be 4th or 5th), instead of being so obsessed with searching for ways to justify some kind of illegitimacy of OSU football.

LSU is #1 until proven otherwise, but I dont think they are as far ahead of the pack as everyone thought at first.


Correct, that was the implied point I was making above.

Hey but this is the best defense Pete Carrol has ever had.
Last edited by FUDU on Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13358
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:56 am

Oh and mac please explain why you think Fla should be ranked ahead of Cal or OSU?

You realize you are suggesting that the voting process and the ranking process just throw out their normal train of thought and put Fla, the number 9 team in the country as of 8:30 tonight (now with two losses), ahead of TWO undefeated teams. It makes no sense.

Is this how you wish it to work every week? The powers that be just reconstruct the process to benefit the teams in which you have the most interest and penalize the teams in which you despise.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13358
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:11 am

FUDU wrote:Go ahead and say it, you know you want to, say it, USF. The whole world knows how that would play out if USF and OSU were both undefeated behind LSU.

Ooh, ooh, can I say it? Ahem. 'Boise State.' Thank you.
User avatar
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist
 
Posts: 4656
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:06 am
Location: Parma, OH
Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:13 am

Furls wrote:Florida is a one trick pony this year and I am not sure that they could keep up scoring with Cal and I am not sure that their trick would be effective with OSU. You have your opinion and it is what it is, you found a way to find 15 teams in the country that you think are better than the team that will be no worse than #3 at the end of the week. The list is pretty ridiculous, but it is what it is, a measure of how jaded your opinion is.


Because I do think that there are at least 15 teams better. I think your opinion of Ohio State is ridiculous and jaded. You get a free pass in the rankings because you are Ohio State.

If you were Purdue, Illinois, or even USF with that schedule could you keep a straight face and tell me you'd be considered as a title contender.

If you could then you are a homer.

Right on there, except I think Purdue is better than you are giving them credit for. It looks like Ohio State's defense has actually faced some pretty good offenses this year and has done a pretty good job on them.


Funny. When I look at the top 25 offenses by ypg I see several USF opponents and only one OSU opponent when I look at the upcoming schedule.

Washington ranks #95 out of 120.
Akron ranks #117.
Northwestern #70.
Minnesota #28 - congrats!
Purdue #11 - two behind West Virginia.

You hoist Purdue up as quality and deride West Virginia. I find that funny and I STILL believe that WVU would beat Ohio State.

Purdue's schedule is shakier than yours. Toledo is a toughy. E. Illinois makes me shit my pants with fright. Same for Central Michigan. Minnesota is a team you called one of the worst in IA. Notre Dame sucks horribly this year and that reflects horrible on UCLA.

I just find it funny that you deride other teams for their conference or their schedule and try to prop up your Buckeyes and then have the audacity to call me jaded. I'm not impressed with the Big Ten and have stated it. I think it is the weakest BCS conference based on observation for this season and over the past few years. All of our opinions have some bias. Yours is certainly as biased as mine, if not more-so. Yet you call out others and fail to look in the mirror and always claim that you know more than us.

For the record, I called out Troy Smith and your Buckeyes last year and was abused by Buckeyes fans prior to the Florida game. They were strangely silent afterwards.

Maybe Ohio State is fantastic and the greatest thing since slice bread. Or maybe they are benefiting from a schedule so filled with pussy that on first glance I thought they were playing against cheerleading squads. The cheerleading squads could probably do better than most of their opponents.

I think you underestimate a lot of teams just like so many Buckeyes did last year. If you had any idea how much you guys sound like Yankees fans... well, I don't know what you'd do. There's a reason why Ohio State is a bigtime joke down in the south. Of course, the goobers who call in after bowl losses and claim that they still should be #1 don't help you either.

LSU is #1 until proven otherwise, but I dont think they are as far ahead of the pack as everyone thought at first.


Because you don't think highly of Florida and UF gave them a game? Florida would still beat the living piss out of you guys. They would have done it 10/10 times last year too. You can say that UF is a one trick pony all you want. They have more talent and a far better coach. Same for LSU.

Being the best in the midwest doesn't mean shit these days.

Purdue will be out that is true, but they will be back. They are a good team. Illinois will finish the year in the top 15, besides, it does not matter, there will not be 3 undefeated teams left at the end of the year.


They're good now that you need to prop them up. I can think of five Big East teams that are better - maybe six depending on which Pitt team shows up.

Strength of schedule ibears very liitle weight in the BCS, that is one of the big travesties of the entire system. It is better to play a weak ass Big East schedule and go undefeated than play a strong SEC schedule and take a loss. The polls carry MUCH of the weight.


25% or so.

Guess Ohio State knows all about playing a weakass Big TEN schedule. I also loved the excuses about Washington for non-conference: We thought they'd have returned to prominence by now! Horseshit. You wanted to schedule a cupcake to take a break between Texas and USC. It was a ready made excuse. There's no shame in admitting the truth.

Nice, are they Big East fast? or just ACC fast?


They're slower than us. They might be FAU fast. I think most Big East teams are faster. The ACC is about the same, but that's the conference you're closest to. Still worse than the ACC and just above Conference USA.

Just pray to God that you get to play an ACC team in the bowls. We know you can't beat SEC teams. Ohio State would have a chance against top tier Big East teams, but I think they're the only team in the Big Ten that could.

The Big East will be looking to expand soon. We might be willing to let you guys upgrade. ;) We've already got all of the teams that moved to the ACC thinking about coming back in. The ACC didn't turn out to be the superconference in football that they expected it to be.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll
 
Posts: 3925
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:39 pm
Location: Tampa, FL
Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby furls » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:39 am

Because I do think that there are at least 15 teams better.


I could see if you said that they should be like seventh or eighth, but 15 teams? Seriously? I cannot take anything you say about College football seriously after that, you are just too biased. I know I am a homer and I freely admit it, but I am not sitting at the watercooler pounding Ohio State Kool Aid.

Ohio State did not get a free pass in the rankings because they were better, if memory serves, they started the year 13th in the country, the move up from there is based on merit (or in some cases, teams getting demeritted).

If you were Purdue, Illinois, or even USF with that schedule could you keep a straight face and tell me you'd be considered as a title contender.


USF has a pretty weak schedule this year and they are ranked what 5th come tomorrow? Go ahead, tell me how good WVU is again. Auburn? We'll see. WVU is a pretender.

I find that funny and I STILL believe that WVU would beat Ohio State.


I find that funny.

I just find it funny that you deride other teams for their conference or their schedule and try to prop up your Buckeyes and then have the audacity to call me jaded. I'm not impressed with the Big Ten and have stated it. I think it is the weakest BCS conference based on observation for this season and over the past few years. All of our opinions have some bias. Yours is certainly as biased as mine, if not more-so. Yet you call out others and fail to look in the mirror and always claim that you know more than us.


Who tried to say the Big Ten was awesome this year? What have I said to "prop up the Buckeyes." They are what they are, the best team in a weaker than normal Big Ten. You are jaded and you still have never answered my question about when you jumped off the scUM bandwagon.

I do not claim to know more than all of "us," just you. I am sorry, I was not privvy to those discussions with USFs AD in which you claim that OSU and every other major program in the country admitted to dodging the Might Bulls of USF, you know the conversation that you never provided any verification of. Until then, you are what you are... full of shit.

For the record, I called out Troy Smith and your Buckeyes last year and was abused by Buckeyes fans prior to the Florida game. They were strangely silent afterwards.


Good for you, I am calling out your Bulls right now, three losses against a horrid schedule. FAU should've won that game.

There's a reason why Ohio State is a bigtime joke down in the south. Of course, the goobers who call in after bowl losses and claim that they still should be #1 don't help you either.


The south, you included, thinks that only good football in the country is played in the South and that is clearly not true, nor is the farce that just because a team is from the south they are inherently faster.

25% or so.


Talk out of your ass much? 1/3 Harris, 1/3 Coaches Poll, 1/3 computer polls. Computer Polls are not based nearly 100% on strenghth schedule.

We've already got all of the teams that moved to the ACC thinking about coming back in. The ACC didn't turn out to be the superconference in football that they expected it to be.


Until you show me a news release on that one, I will just file it away with all your discussions with USF AD and all of your other inside info.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6445
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:54 am

All this.... It will all play out. Nobody with Buckeye bias will make the final poll, nor will Mr. Mac. If the Buckeyes run the table, they will earn the chance to be bludgeoned by an SEC team if tha's how you feel. Maybe the SEC teams will knock each other down a notch. "Florida has more talent and a far better coach" if that's your opinion great. All any team in the country needs is good enough talent and a good enough coach, because many years the most talented team and the greatest coach don't win it all. As long as the SEC stays this strong, this will continue. Florida for example is very good, but they have two losses. As far as the National Championship goes they DON'T MATTER. Maybe they are twice as good as Oklahoma, OSU, South Florida... it doesn't matter.

One thing I don't get at this point is blaming the Bucks for thier schedule. The last two years they had to play an elite team in week #2. This year they didn't. also, the conference is down. At the end of the day they still have to run the table. And there were plenty of teams that had a chance to stay in front of OSU, it's not like the pollsters overrated them from the start. Many teams ahead of them at the start of the year lost to poor teams, from App State to today's Stanford. You might say these were not "strong conference" bourne losses.

This isn't the Bucks fault. And, if they take care of business and happen to catch a break and get Cal instead of an LSU or Florida, well, the other teams shouldn't be looking to blame OSU. They will have themselves to blame.

Lastly, I wouldn't think they would be good enough to go unbeaten. That doesn't happen all that often, and certainly this year's OSU squad doesn't seem like a historical great. But it CAN happen, and there are few teams left this year that can make that claim, from a VARIETY of conferences.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6636
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:16 am

After this weekend, I really honestly think that it's a LSU/OSU battle. We may see OU play their way back into the scene before it's all said and done, and the SEC being what it is and having the title game in Georgia, LSU still has many hurdles to hop. Could end up having a OU/OSU title game, who knows. Way to early to tell.

But Notre Dame sucks, so let's all toast to that. Bastards....
User avatar
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:47 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:06 pm

first off nice post by Lead.

Lot of reason there, and lots of truth. Like he said few teams have any chance left of running the table, and running the table is the best chance any team has for a shot at the NC. If a team doesn't take care of its business that is all on themselves.

I wasn't aware of any claims of OSU or any other big time program dodging USF, that is simply just funny. I'll just say this, what interest in USF would OSU have if and when they already have commitments and contracts signed with Texas, USC, ND, UM, FSU, and I believe but not sure OK.



I find that funny and I STILL believe that WVU would beat Ohio State.


Well put it out there, explain in detail why you would think a WV match up is bad for OSU? There is very little that we can all look at that would back up such a claim. so enlighten us and break it down.

There's a reason why Ohio State is a bigtime joke down in the south.


BS mac. You're just making that claim b/c you live in the south and the main hub of Buckeye fans and buzz about OSU hovers around OHIO and NE Ohio, so you think nobody knows the difference I got news for you, I have plenty of family in Fla and visit every few years, OSU is actually some what popular down there. Plenty of fan support, transplants mostly of course. Not a big share of the market compared to FSU, the Gators or UM but there is no where near the attitude of which you claim. I've watched college football while in sports bars in Fla and OSU is not looked at as anything other than an out of state big time football school for the most part.



Of course, the goobers who call in after bowl losses and claim that they still should be #1 don't help you either.


Do you even read what you post?

This is EXACTLY what you are claiming should be happening with Florida right now.

Florida would still beat the living piss out of you guys. They would have done it 10/10 times last year too.


See this is why few take your college football talk serious. If things are not going the way of your interests, or the teams you despise have their way you revert back to the most recent example of failure for those teams you despise (often a season or more from past history) to attempt to make a point about things that transpire in the present season. Florida and OSU played once time last year. Florida won with no problem.

From that you come up with these childish "they would have beat you 10 out of 10 times and would still kick your ass" remarks that expose your entire purpose in these discussion as simply to show your bias. There isn't 1 college football expert in the WORLD that would even remotely agree with about Fla winning 10 of 10 against the Buckeyes last year and you know it, but enough with that b/c that was 2006.

But what is even funnier and actually more lame is that you allow 2006 to roll into 2007 for your bias interests only with claims that Florida would still kick OSU's ass. Why? There is little from this 2007 season to back that up either. Maybe Fla will have their chance to prove it if they can win out and a bunch of other teams lose 1 or 2 more games. Meanwhile for OSU to get to that point and possibly be waiting for Fla they simply need to win out, something Fla has no hope of doing. They have no control over their own destiny. Week 6 and the Gators are staring at lottery type odds to get to the NC.

You can say that UF is a one trick pony all you want. They have more talent and a far better coach.


Interesting how you didn't finish that sentence. More talent and a better coach then whom? Louisville, yeah no doubt. Kansas State, sure. auburn, I bet.

Continue to base on your POV on single game performances from seasons past. If Cal wins the whole thing this year I suppose next season you will be touting them as the ones who would kick OSU's ass, 10 out of 10 times, and they will have the far better coach and far better talent in your eyes, better than ...well you won't go so far to say but it will certainly be better than one team that is for sure.

....and yeah you still sticking to your "the reason I don't follow michigan anymore is b/c I don't follow college football much anymore" claims?

I'd bet my life and the life of every family member and friend I have that if michigan were to beat the Buckeyes this year (which they just might who knows) you wouldn't hesitate one second to let the world know it, which would be strange behavior from somebody who has little interest in michigan and college football in general.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13358
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:55 pm

FUDU wrote:first off nice post by Lead.

Lot of reason there, and lots of truth. Like he said few teams have any chance left of running the table, and running the table is the best chance any team has for a shot at the NC. If a team doesn't take care of its business that is all on themselves.

I wasn't aware of any claims of OSU or any other big time program dodging USF, that is simply just funny. I'll just say this, what interest in USF would OSU have if and when they already have commitments and contracts signed with Texas, USC, ND, UM, FSU, and I believe but not sure OK.


None because they didn't consider USF big time. They felt that they already had their big out-of-conference opponent and didn't want to schedule someone who had a tendency of upsetting ranked teams.


Well put it out there, explain in detail why you would think a WV match up is bad for OSU? There is very little that we can all look at that would back up such a claim. so enlighten us and break it down.


Oh, I don't know. Rushing QBs have historically given Ohio State problems. They also haven't played any good running teams that go right at you. Their defense is also better and faster than anything Ohio State has seen this season, no matter how much you may think differently.

There's a reason why the professionals still rank WVU in the top ten and a reason why they were ranked ahead of Ohio State before a loss to USF.

BS mac. You're just making that claim b/c you live in the south and the main hub of Buckeye fans and buzz about OSU hovers around OHIO and NE Ohio, so you think nobody knows the difference I got news for you, I have plenty of family in Fla and visit every few years, OSU is actually some what popular down there. Plenty of fan support, transplants mostly of course. Not a big share of the market compared to FSU, the Gators or UM but there is no where near the attitude of which you claim. I've watched college football while in sports bars in Fla and OSU is not looked at as anything other than an out of state big time football school for the most part.


Because most people are polite. I know you're used to dickhead fans up in Ohio who like to antagonize others, but we tend to be polite. Listen to local sportsradio when Ohio State is in town and hear what people think about them. Better, call up sportsradio and see ho you get treated. Do it down here, in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Nashville, etc. I've listened in them all and heard them ALL laugh at how silly Ohio State fans are. They are the clowns of college football. There's a reason I'm not a fan and it's because of assholes who antagonize when you try to be polite with them. That was by far the worst campus I visited when I was looking at what schools to go to. I was pretty ambivalent at that time, but when you realize what pieces of shit a lot of Ohio State fans can be (present company excepted) you start to not care for them much. I feel the same way about Yankees fans and old school Hurricane fans.


Do you even read what you post?

This is EXACTLY what you are claiming should be happening with Florida right now.


No, I've never said that Florida should win the title. I've said that they are better than you despite their losses. I don't think you could beat Auburn or LSU and I think Florida would put up a better fight as they did.

Under the current system, Florida should not and will not play. It's a shame because they are better than most teams, but it's the system.

If they played pussy like you did then they'd be alright, but then no one would really know how good they are.

BTW, why doesn't Ohio State schedule some SEC games out-of-conference? I'm sure you'd find some takers.

See this is why few take your college football talk serious. If things are not going the way of your interests, or the teams you despise have their way you revert back to the most recent example of failure for those teams you despise (often a season or more from past history) to attempt to make a point about things that transpire in the present season. Florida and OSU played once time last year. Florida won with no problem.


As I said they would, but I'm sure you laughed when I said that. I'm sure you laughed when I spoke of your team's shortcomings with matchups, but I know jackshit, right?

I could always be wrong and if I am then I am, but Ohio State just isn't a great team or anywhere near teams like LSU. I think you could play close to the top of the Big East and ACC. I think you also matchup well against USC, but I do think USC is the better team despite their loss to Stanford. Ohio State will rightly be considered above them in NC talk because of the broken system.

I won't think any less of you if you admit that Ohio State is getting the benefit of the doubt now because they are Ohio State and have a strong historic program. Michigan gets the same treatment.

From that you come up with these childish "they would have beat you 10 out of 10 times and would still kick your ass" remarks that expose your entire purpose in these discussion as simply to show your bias. There isn't 1 college football expert in the WORLD that would even remotely agree with about Fla winning 10 of 10 against the Buckeyes last year and you know it, but enough with that b/c that was 2006.


Wow, you are ignorant. Every college football expert I heard said that Florida would have went 10/10. I even recall Herbstreit saying it, but I'm sure you conveniently weren't watching that. You were probably too busy crying in your beer, realizing what a fake the Buckeyes were last year when they also played pussy all year. Texas was decent but not anywhere near what they were under Young.

But what is even funnier and actually more lame is that you allow 2006 to roll into 2007 for your bias interests only with claims that Florida would still kick OSU's ass. Why? There is little from this 2007 season to back that up either. Maybe Fla will have their chance to prove it if they can win out and a bunch of other teams lose 1 or 2 more games. Meanwhile for OSU to get to that point and possibly be waiting for Fla they simply need to win out, something Fla has no hope of doing. They have no control over their own destiny. Week 6 and the Gators are staring at lottery type odds to get to the NC.


Hey, congratulations on playing pussy! You've got a toughy against Kent State coming up. Hope you don't look past them with that BIG GAME against Michigan State coming up! They're a toughy too. Hey, how many top 25 teams have you beaten that are still ranked?

Just because you schedule creampuffs and can win out against them doesn't necessarily make you the best team in the country. It may come back to haunt you when voters realize towards the end of the season that you've played nobody. You might as well join the MAC with how much you love those teams and use the excuse "we want to keep our money in Ohio!".

Interesting how you didn't finish that sentence. More talent and a better coach then whom? Louisville, yeah no doubt. Kansas State, sure. auburn, I bet.


Then whom? It's than.

I also used a device called "inference" meaning that I was "inferring" that Florida had better talent and coaching than the team I've been deriding, Ohio State.

Continue to base on your POV on single game performances from seasons past. If Cal wins the whole thing this year I suppose next season you will be touting them as the ones who would kick OSU's ass, 10 out of 10 times, and they will have the far better coach and far better talent in your eyes, better than ...well you won't go so far to say but it will certainly be better than one team that is for sure.


Not necessarily. I don't base my assessment on Florida's team of last year, I base it on what I've seen from both teams THIS year. Florida's speed and swarming mentality on defense would not be kind to the Ohio State offense. Florida's modified spread style offense with a QB that has been compared to Vince Young would make it difficult on the Ohio State defense. UF had errors on offense last night that cost them, but they also were able to move on LSU - a defense that is much better than Ohio State's. I'm sure you think differently because OSU's defense performed admirably against Akron while LSU's only managed to hold down a team like Virginia Tech's. After all, Akron is so much better than VT.

....and yeah you still sticking to your "the reason I don't follow michigan anymore is b/c I don't follow college football much anymore" claims?


I've been more interested this year because my alma mater is in the thick of it and I want to develop opinions on how well we stack up, so I have watched more.

I never said I don't follow Michigan, but I really don't watch them much and haven't been all that into Michigan football since I graduated high school in 1996. Do I like them? Yeah, but I haven't watched a game of theirs yet this season and am not planning on watching any. I have my own school to concern myself about.

As I've said, the Big Ten teams just don't impress. Ohio State is the best of the Big Ten teams and I think only Illinois may be able to harass them, but that's damning with faint praise.

We'll see. Ohio State's opportunity to prove themselves against real competition will not come until January. Meanwhile, other teams in the polls are playing tougher teams now. I don't understand how you can be so confident about your squad when you play nothing but creampuffs.

I'd bet my life and the life of every family member and friend I have that if michigan were to beat the Buckeyes this year (which they just might who knows) you wouldn't hesitate one second to let the world know it, which would be strange behavior from somebody who has little interest in michigan and college football in general.[/quote]
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll
 
Posts: 3925
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:39 pm
Location: Tampa, FL
Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:27 pm

You become more pathetic with each college football post mac.

It's a shame b/c like I have said you are a good poster when discussing other topics and you make good objective points.

You have zero objectivity in regards to college football.

Their defense is also better and faster than anything Ohio State has seen this season, no matter how much you may think differently.


Well break it down then, show us how. You can't, objectively, it is obvious. The word defense used with the words West Virgina are not grammatically correct in the English language, everybody who watches or is involved with college ball knows this. That is why you never hear a WV lead in reference to defense. So tell us how their Dline breaks down OSU, how the LB's imact OSU and how their DB's are involved?

Because most people are polite. I know you're used to dickhead fans up in Ohio who like to antagonize others, but we tend to be polite. Listen to local sportsradio when Ohio State is in town and hear what people think about them. Better, call up sportsradio and see ho you get treated. Do it down here, in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Nashville, etc. I've listened in them all and heard them ALL laugh at how silly Ohio State fans are. They are the clowns of college football. There's a reason I'm not a fan and it's because of assholes who antagonize when you try to be polite with them. That was by far the worst campus I visited when I was looking at what schools to go to. I was pretty ambivalent at that time, but when you realize what pieces of shit a lot of Ohio State fans can be (present company excepted) you start to not care for them much. I feel the same way about Yankees fans and old school Hurricane fans.


Your whole thing here is about perception of FANS. when it comes the the Ohio State University football program and team what you originally claimed is simply not true, I'll go so far as to say a lie. Of course fans will be perceived or considered in certain ways by other fans. For IE: michigan and Miami fans are whiney lil babies that cannot deal with realities. There is always an excuse as to how are why they lost or why their programs are overrated or diminishing.

As far as a possible OSU USF scheduling I can make one phone call to get some info on that. I am a first cousin to an all time great Big Ten basketball referee that has oodles of connections and inside info on OSU in general. I'll even give the name. Phil Bova.

If they played pussy like you did then they'd be alright, but then no one would really know how good they are.


Well fact is the Buckeyes are 6-0 and Florida has 2 losses. Florida is as flawed as any other team ranked in the top 10 right now. LSU's D is comparable to the Buckeyes (Buckeye's having a speed and size advantage in the secondary) and the best LB crew in the entire country, so is appears Florida's offense would have done the same against the Buckeyes if they played well enough.

Wow, you are ignorant. Every college football expert I heard said that Florida would have went 10/10


Prove it.

If it was said than there is no doubt you can find the links and back up the claim, otherwise you're just lying.

I heard two or three guys say that if the game was played again the Florida would win but a much more competitive game. That is as close to anything you try to suggest. Except their credibility is legit, yours eh.

Then whom? It's than.


Now grammar smack diversion? OMG you've lost it. At least stick to you're "you guys are pussy" takes, that is at least mildly amusing and worth a similar response.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13358
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:50 pm

Mac, enough, really. Your all over the board, using language, now youve graduated on to pimping West Virginia'a defense. Christ.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6636
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Unread postby jfiling » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:22 pm

jfiling
Old School Writer
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio
Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:11 pm

I haven't seen OSU yet so I can't make an honest comparison, but I will say that Florida is still extremely formidable. Not on the level they were last year by any means, but I still believe they are a top 12 team. Super fast on defense, not as physical as they were last year, they are a team that belongs right on the outside of the BCS looking in. Cap 1, Cotton, something of that nature. It's hard for me to knock them having witnessed what I saw right in front of me.

As for my rankings (for whatever it's worth) I would just absolutely love to see LSU/OSU knock heads for the whole thing. I think it would be epic, absolutely great for college football as a whole. I respect the hell out of OSU's program, and I think it would be a great matchup of two top defenses.
User avatar
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:47 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:28 pm

The SOS point of college football is inherently flawed form the start.

I’ll use ND just as a simple example b/c typing ND is easiest.

If ND is ranked #10 and plays a nobody and wins, then that nobody is 0-1 and drops further down the nobody list due to the 0-1 record.

ND then plays an unranked & up and coming team, and wins. ND is now 2-0, while the recent opponent is 1-1 and now going to slide a bit and not get that possible ranking they were headed for.

Weeks later ND is 6-0, ranked #7 now and plays the number 15 team, 15 is a decent ranking. ND wins, #15 now drops to #20.

What we see happening here is that by winning your own game, even against a ranked team your SOS suffers b/c you won the game dropping your opponent from the higher ranking.

A team gets credit for playing a team ranked like a #15, but at the end of the week that #15 drops and people now say "well that #15 wasn’t so good after all apparently so it was no big deal that the higher ranked team beat em".



I have never in my life claimed OSU plays the toughest schedule and rarely ever defend schedules in general. But since you are so hung up on schedule lets look at some.

Let’s start with #1 LSU. I have no problems with them being #1, they should be.

Here is their schedule so far.

#9 VT
#12 S.Car.
#9 Fla.

Miss. St.
Middle Tenn.
Tulane.

Ok, 3 ranked teams the lowest on game day was #12.

Well who did those 3 play, you know to “earn” their respective rankings?

VT’s schedule; LSU (loss), East Car (win), Ohio (win) William & Mary (win) and N.Car (win) So who did VT beat to earn the ranking of #9 which benefits LSU when they play and beat them? Answer: nobody. Conclusion: LSU beats a decent VT, an overrated VT team.

S. Carolina’s schedule; Georgia (win), LSU (loss) Louisville Laf (win), S.Car. St.(win), Miss. St. (win), Kentucky (win). Who did South Carolina beat to earn the #12 ranking? They beat Georgia and Kentucky. Who is Kentucky? Georgia at the time appeared to be legit but since then who are they? Answer: they beat two teams that were thought to be good, one has been shaky and the other is still unproven at best. Conclusion: they deserve being ranked but where, at #12 up for debate. So that #12 rank also benefits LSU playing them and beating them.

Now Florida’s schedule; Tenn (win), West. Kentucky (win), Troy (win), Miss. (win) Auburn (loss) LSU (loss). So who did Florida play to back up there early season ranking and their game day ranking of #9 when they played LSU. Well Tenn. was considered good and ranked at #22, but they have been a strange team who recently beat up a shaky Georgia team. Then the Gators played absolutely nobody until Auburn. Who is Auburn? Not ranked when Florida played them and Florida lost. Answer: Florida has played 3 legit teams with two of them being questionable as too how good in Tenn and Auburn with one of their 2 losses coming from that scheduling. Conclusion: Florida has played the best team and lost, beat a #22 ranked team that has been a bit up and down and Florida lost to an unranked team. So their schedule is far from exceptional and to make it worse it has resulted in two losses, so it can be said Florida proved to be overrated so far but the ranked of #9 again benefits an LSU team that played and beat em.

The rest of LSU’s schedule is worthless to even discuss.

Now let’s look at two of the Gators opponents (and who they played) to support where the Gator’s and those two opponents are considered to be in the rankings/mix of things. Tenn. and Auburn.

Tenn’s schedule; S. Car (loss) So. Miss (win), Ark St. (win), Georgia (win). Those are the teams of note. Who did they play to back up any early season or current ranking? Well the lost to the best team on their schedule in S. Carolina and the only decent team they beat was Georgia who has proven to be a team that is either grossly over rated or very inconsistent, either way not that good. Conclusion: Tennessee is an up and down top team that might hover around the top 25? For an opponent to beat Tenn it doesn’t make that team’s schedule look special. Tenn. isn’t necessarily special.

Auburn’s schedule; Kan. St. (win) USF (loss) Miss. St. (loss) New Mex. St. (win), Fla (win) and Vandy (win). So who has Auburn beat of note? Well they beat Florida that deserves some accolades (but remember Fla. hasn’t played anybody special but LSU). Auburn also lost to Miss. St. for that has as much an impact the other way as the Florida win. The rest is garbage with exception of USF. Conclusion: Auburn has played 2 respected teams, losing one and wining one while adding another of their losses from a cream puff nobody. So Auburn has proven to be nothing special. Auburn is possibly a top 25 team by the end of the year if they play well but nothing of a significant ranking in their future really.

How about USF’s schedule; Elon (are you serious?, win), Auburn (win), N. Carolina (win), WV (win), Florida Atl. (win). Now Auburn was ranked #17 on game day and WV # 5 on game day with USF. USF beat Auburn in a close game, beat WV fairly eaisly but no blowout by any means. Good wins both. But as we have seen particularly with Auburn those teams are not what they were thought to be from the early season expectations. Yet USF benefits from both teams being ranked. WV has played absolutely nobody beside USF and they lost to USF. The rest of USF’s schedule is a joke at best. So they played two teams, beat em both but as the season has played on those two wins appear not to be of any significance or become less significant as time goes on.

So by using the nations best team, and another team that you feel is better than almost everybody else and should be ranked higher than undefeateds like Cal and OSU (b/c particularly OSU has played and beat nobody) in Florida, and your own supposed team of interest in USF we see that using schedules as a base for arguments on who is who becomes deeply flawed (in part to a win for a team hurts their own SOS by dropping the opponent). Then when we dissect the teams you have been harping on deeper and deeper we see the supposed schedule of those teams, that you make some absurd claims of praise about, are of no significance what so ever.

Still want to stick with your whole schedule smack approach.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13358
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby furls » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:55 pm

Hey, congratulations on playing pussy! You've got a toughy against Kent State coming up. Hope you don't look past them with that BIG GAME against Michigan State coming up! They're a toughy too.



Yeah, the Buckeyes tried to get Elon and FAU but they were already taken.


I have neither the time nor the inclination to waste any more energy on a guy who's sole purpose is to just hate. If you have something interesting or valuable to contribute Mac, then by all means, do so, but the crap you have been tossing out, well it is embarassing that is coming from a fellow staff member.

Your blind hatred is what it is and that's fine, but I will not sit here and play the petty game anymore. I am better than the posts that I have been typing to you; I am embarassed that I have typed some of the crappy things in these posts that I did and dragged my friend's message board to a level of filth and scum reserved for Michigan fans on the OBR.

I will not play the game, and I will not drag this board to those levels. As a fellow staff member... well, I would hope that your goals are in line with mine.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6445
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:18 pm

Bayou, I think that would be a fun game.

Similar styles of play in regards to very solid defense and physical approaches.

LSU's offense is a bit of a mystery to me. They don't seem to have as explosive a running game (or back) that you would expect, but I have not watched every minute of all their games so I may be missing something.

Interestingly enough the only other team to get first place votes this week were the Buckeyes, in the USA today poll, and in the master coaches poll OSU is #2 ahead of Cal. Not that any of it means much right now.

If any year was the perfect pool of teams to choose from for a playoff IMO htis is the year. A lot of anything could possibly happen with an 8 team playoff.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13358
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby yargs7 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:50 pm

Furls wrote:
I have neither the time nor the inclination to waste any more energy on a guy who's sole purpose is to just hate.


Nice Colonel Nathan R Jessop reset. I don't know if you did that on purpose or not Furls, but I like it.

People want to find all kinds of bad things to say about the Buckeyes. The fact of the matter is...they win the games they are supposed to win and that's sayin something. It's easy to say "well, you only beat Purdue!" But I bet right now, Pete Carroll and Bob Stoops WISHED people were saying, "Big Deal, you only beat Stanford!" Or, "You only beat Colorado!"

I challenged a friend of mine who is an ND fan and a big time Buckeye Hater to name 5 college programs better than Ohio State since Tressel took over and I challenge anyone who reads this board to do the same.

I'm talking wins, bowl wins, BCS wins, Conference championships, National Championships, 1st round draft picks, and any other measuring stick you want.

The fact of the matter is people hate Ohio State because they are an ELITE program.
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
User avatar
yargs7
College Football Nut
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:05 am
Location: Austintown, OH

Unread postby neoleo » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:56 am

Mr. MacPhisto wrote: Hey, congratulations on playing pussy! You've got a toughy against Kent State coming up. Hope you don't look past them with that BIG GAME against Michigan State coming up! They're a toughy too. Hey, how many top 25 teams have you beaten that are still ranked?

Just because you schedule creampuffs and can win out against them doesn't necessarily make you the best team in the country. It may come back to haunt you when voters realize towards the end of the season that you've played nobody. You might as well join the MAC with how much you love those teams and use the excuse "we want to keep our money in Ohio!".


Mac, you spouted off about the MAC in a previous thread last week and I responded with a detailed post that you conveniently let die. Here's the link to that thread for those that missed it and I'll copy and paste my detailed post.

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/boards/v ... php?t=3875

Using the same rankings that you quoted earlier, here
are all of the conference's rankings.

CONFERENCE
1 PAC-10
2 SOUTHEASTERN
<B>3 BIG EAST</B>
4 BIG 12
<B>5 BIG TEN</B>
6 ATLANTIC COAST
7 MOUNTAIN WEST
8 WESTERN ATHLETIC
9 I-A INDEPENDENTS
10 CONFERENCE USA
<B>11 MID-AMERICAN</B>
12 GATEWAY
13 COLONIAL
14 GREAT WEST
15 SUN BELT
16 SOUTHERN
17 BIG SKY
18 SOUTHLAND
19 IVY LEAGUE
20 PATRIOT LEAGUE
21 BIG SOUTH
22 OHIO VALLEY
23 MID-EASTERN
24 SOUTHWESTERN
25 PIONEER
26 NORTHEAST
27 I-AA INDEPENDENTS
28 METRO ATLANTIC

Notice that the MAC is the 4th highest ranked non-BCS
conference, higher than Big East favorites like the Sunbelt and the MEAC and right on par with another Big East favorite, Conference USA.

Here's your South Florida Bulls' non conference schedule the last 3
seasons.

2005:
Penn St (L)
Florida A&M (1AA MEAC-23rd)
Central Florida (C-USA-10th)
Miami (FL) (L)

2006:
McNeese St. (LA) (1AA Southland-18th)
Florida International (Sun Belt-15th)
Central Florida (C-USA-10th)
Kansas (L)

2007:
Elon (1AA Southern-16th)
Auburn
North Carolina
Florida Atlantic (Sun Belt-15th)
UCF (C-USA-10th)

So looking at S. Fla's schedule (which is consistant with
the Big East's scheduling as a whole), your non-BCS
games traditionally come against Conference USA and
the Sunbelt (ranked 10th and 15th for an average of
12.5), while Ohio State's non-BCS games (as well as
the rest of the Big Ten) traditionally come against
the MAC (ranked 11th). S. Fla's 1AA games have come
against the Southern, Southland and the MEAC for an
average conference rank of 19. Ohio State's
<B>only</B> 1AA game in recent history game against
Youngstown State, which plays in the highest rated 1AA
conference, the Gateway (ranked 12th).

Also, when looking at the Big East's top teams (Louisville, Rutgers, and West Virginia) non conference schedules from the past three seasons, you find additional Sunbelt and 1AA teams and a few more MAC/C-USA teams. (And nowhere in the Big East do I see games scheduled that rival Ohio State's previous and upcoming home and home's with Texas, USC, Miami (FL), Cal, Virginia Tech and Oklahoma).

West Virginia:
Marshall (twice) (MAC-11th)
ECU (twice) (C-USA-10th)
Woffard (1AA Southern-16th)
Eastern Washington (1AA Big Sky-17th)

The Mountaneers big home and home was with Maryland.

Louisville:
Florida Atlantic (Sunbelt-15th)
Florida International (Sunbelt-15th)
Middle Tennessee (twice) (Sunbelt-15th)
Temple (1A Independent/MAC-they scheduled Temple AFTER they got kicked out of the Big East for sucking)
Murray State (1AA Ohio Valley-22nd)

Of course the Cardinals play Kentucky every year and I give them credit for playing Miami (FL) last year (not their fault Miami was down).

Rutgers:
Villanova (1AA Colonial-13th)
Howard (1AA MEAC-23rd)
Norfolk State (1AA MEAC-23rd)
Ohio (MAC-11th)
Buffalo (twice) (MAC-11th)
Navy (all three years) (1A Independent)
Army (1A Independent)

The Scarlet Knight's big home and home was with Illinois (which they split).

Here's my response to a similar thread from August 1st. Since the Big East's bowl record was brought up again, I'll include this response again.

NEOLeo wrote: Going 5-0 is a good feat, no doubt about it, but
before we use that as a measuring stick, lets look
into the numbers a bit.

Louisville (11-1 entering bowl game) wins over Wake
Forrest (11-2 entering bowl). Louisville was a top 10
team all year (finished 6th) and they matched up with
an upstart Wake team (ranked 18th, good but not top
10) from a down ACC (no VA Tech, no Miami, etc.)

West Virginia (10-2) over Georgia Tech (9-4). Again, a
top 10 team all year vs. a down ACC team. WVA finishes
ranked 10th, GA Tech unranked.

Rutgers (10-2) over Kansas State (7-5). Kansas State
is all I have to say. Rutgers finishes ranked 12th.

South Florida (8-4) over ECU (7-5). This one is more
evenly matched, although S. FL has shown signs of
becoming a good program.

Cincinnati (7-5) over Western Michigan (8-4). Another
pretty evenly matched game, although Cincinnati's win
over Rutgers trumps anything WMU did all year.

Again, winning is what's important, but I'd say the
Big East had a pretty good draw last bowl season.
Three top 12 teams and only one of them played a
ranked team, and that team finished 18th nationally
(and GA Tech was without their starting QB).


The point of all this is to show you that anybody can dig up stats to support an argument. I'm sure that you can dig up stats to show these same points against any BCS conference. They all play fluff teams on their schedule to gaurantee home games and victories. That's just the way college football is right now.

Mr. MacPhisto wrote: Too bad most of the national media aren't agreeing. I'm thinking the same about the Big Ten. Pretty soon you'll be on the level with the MAC if this keeps up. You guys love playing those guys so much maybe that's good.


At least we won't become the Sunbelt or the MEAC.

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:The Big Ten is long term going to be the weakest BCS school. A couple really bad seasons and we should think about throwing it out of the equation. You need to win some of those bowl game first please, and not against Notre Dame.


Will we get to stay in the BCS equation once we knock off the heavyweights of Wake Forest, Kansas State and Georgia Tech?

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:Things are changing. Notre Dame, one of the traditional powerhouses, has fallen. Best be careful that it doesn't happen to Ohio State and the other teams. You're already a national joke after your showing last year. Ohio State's defeat did more damage to the Big Ten's rep than you probably think, but I hear it a lot down here and when I travel to other areas of the country. Sure, Big Ten fans talk big about their conference, but things aren't looking good.


What a poor showing, 12-1 and playing for their second national championship in 5 years (not to mention the 4th place finish in 05 with losses to #3 PSU (on the road at night) and vs. #1 Texas (without starting Troy Smith). To be frank, every team in the Big East would kill to have Ohio State's program right now.
User avatar
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:02 am
Location: Cleveland, OH
Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:00 pm

LSU's offense is a bit of a mystery to me. They don't seem to have as explosive a running game (or back) that you would expect, but I have not watched every minute of all their games so I may be missing something.


That's a very good take on it actually. They have 4 running backs that TOGETHER cover the spectrum as far as speed, versatility, running styles, power, etc, but none of these 4 really have put enough of these attributes together enough to really be called a star. Alot of folks think that you can go RB by committee with a group like this and be fine, but it is really hard to split carries between 4 guys and not lose something in translation as far as running the hot hand, finding the right mix, etc.

Flynn (the QB) is slowly recovering from his ankle injury and looked better this week than last, but in my humble opinion he still keys into his primary target waaaaaay too much.

And this weekend we'll get our best offensive weapon back in WR Early Doucet. I honestly think that when healthy he improves the offensive flow tremendously. I've watched LSU produce about 4 first round wideouts in the past 5 or so years and he is definitely a top round draft pick. So hopefully that gets the ball rolling.
User avatar
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:47 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby neoleo » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:41 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:And this weekend we'll get our best offensive weapon back in WR Early Doucet. I honestly think that when healthy he improves the offensive flow tremendously. I've watched LSU produce about 4 first round wideouts in the past 5 or so years and he is definitely a top round draft pick. So hopefully that gets the ball rolling.


Doucet is the real deal for sure.
User avatar
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:02 am
Location: Cleveland, OH
Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:41 pm

He is indeed, but I'd really love to have Robiskie on this team. When you talk to guys 50 or older around LSU, they have tons of storied to tell about when Terry Robiskie played for the Tigers. It would have been great to have a big possession receiver out there with LSU bloodlines. I'm glad he's doing well anyway though, seems like a classy kid.
User avatar
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:47 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith


Return to College Sports Arena

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests