Text Size

College Sports Arena

Tressel: USF is going to be a power

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Tressel: USF is going to be a power

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:16 am

I appreciate Jim Tressel's comments. Thanks, coach!

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/co ... 838E8.html

South Florida (4-0) also benefits from a ballooning Florida population, which is why Ohio State coach Jim Tressel predicts that the Bulls will be a threat for years to come.

"When we're long gone," Tressel said yesterday, "South Florida is going to be a power."

I wonder if Tressel is worried about the Ohio economy and the reduction in the state population? The quote is fairly odd by saying "when we're long gone".
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Re: Tressel: USF is going to be a power

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:49 am

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:I appreciate Jim Tressel's comments. Thanks, coach!

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/co ... 838E8.html

South Florida (4-0) also benefits from a ballooning Florida population, which is why Ohio State coach Jim Tressel predicts that the Bulls will be a threat for years to come.

"When we're long gone," Tressel said yesterday, "South Florida is going to be a power."

I wonder if Tressel is worried about the Ohio economy and the reduction in the state population? The quote is fairly odd by saying "when we're long gone".

Perhaps he meant it as "When hell freezes over" or "As long as we're here, USF is just Bowling Green with a beach." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just busting balls Mac. They're hungry to build a program and they're aggressively recruiting. U of Miami was a lot like that in the 70's.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Goozer » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:47 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:I wonder if Tressel is worried about the Ohio economy and the reduction in the state population? The quote is fairly odd by saying "when we're long gone".
I read that to mean that South Florida is here to stay. Meaning that So. Florida will be a power in 2040 when Jim Tressel is in the bleachers in the heavens.

I don't read it to mean Ohio State is going to suck anytime soon, or that the state of Ohio is going to shreds. The only way Ohio State falls done the pecking order in college football for a long period is if another (or two or three) Ohio school (Cincy, pick a MAC school) becomes a member of a BCS conference and wittles away at the Ohio talent base that until now has defaulted to Columbus because there is not another football power within the borders. There aren't many football rich states that have that built in benefit.
Goozer

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:39 pm

Goozer wrote:I read that to mean that South Florida is here to stay. Meaning that So. Florida will be a power in 2040 when Jim Tressel is in the bleachers in the heavens.

I don't read it to mean Ohio State is going to suck anytime soon, or that the state of Ohio is going to shreds. The only way Ohio State falls done the pecking order in college football for a long period is if another (or two or three) Ohio school (Cincy, pick a MAC school) becomes a member of a BCS conference and wittles away at the Ohio talent base that until now has defaulted to Columbus because there is not another football power within the borders. There aren't many football rich states that have that built in benefit.

Good observations. I am interested to see what impact Cincy can have in Ohio if they can maintain and build on what they're doing now.

I was appreciative of Tressel's comments, especially with some negative comments coming from Saban. That's been big news down here, though Tressel's compliment has not been widely reported.

Shows that Tressel is far classier than Saban, but I knew that already. Certainly Tressel doesn't stab schools he's worked for in the back like Saban does. Nick Saban seems to be a college football whore.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:00 pm

Certainly Tressel doesn't stab schools he's worked for in the back like Saban does. Nick Saban seems to be a college football whore

He's coming Gump, and there's no where to run. :twisted:

Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby furls » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:31 pm

Tressel says nice things about Northwestern after beating them by 51 too. Not trying to be a dick, that is just how he is. He always compliments everyone's everything. As a matter of fact, does anyone have a remotely contraversial link regarding anything Tressel has said?
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to College Sports Arena