Text Size

College Sports Arena

Upset week

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Upset week

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:42 am

Illinois over PSU
Ole Miss over GA
Oregon over Cal
KSU over Texas
MSU over Wisconsin

I think we will see some shake up in the Big Ten this week as some teams are exposed (PSU and Wisconsin) and some teams are unearthed (Purdue and Illinois). Watch out for Purdue; they are pretty damn good. They may put 50 on ND this week.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:55 pm

wow, Michigan is BAD. They are struggling mightily with a TERRIBLE Northwestern team. They may have to wear them down and beat them in the second half. Unbelievable.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:50 pm

A picture says a thousand words.

Good stuff.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:01 pm

WOW!!!!!!

OK goes down to Colorado

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:06 pm

I had a feeling about this week. I missed on the ole' miss/GA game but I hit Illinois and USF so far.

KSU and Oregon are looking like solid picks too.
MSU is hanging tough also.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:56 pm

Texas is done with 2:30 left.

IIRC KState did em in last year as well.

Should be a nice shake up in the top 8 this week.

Cal and Buckeyes should move up 2 spots each, Cal needs to hold on though.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:09 pm

Oregon choked in the 4th, but it still pushes.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:56 pm

Well, I hit on a bunch of those dogs today.

3-1-1 on dogs ATS is pretty good, but I did think that all 5 of those teams had the chance to actually win straight up. I cannot believe the shit that the Big 12, ACC, and Big East took all over themselves this week.

After watching that Cal/Oregon game, I think the PAC-10 may actually be the best conference in football right now. LSU is at least a touchdown better than anyone else, but I am not sure if there is anyone in the SEC outside of Baton Rouge that can play with USC, Oregon, and Cal.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby swerb » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:44 pm

#3 Oklahoma loses in Colorado
#4 Florida down 14-0 at half at home to Auburn
#5 West V loses at So Fla
#7 Texas loses at home to K St
#10 Rutgers loses at home to Maryland
#11 Oregon loes at home to Cal
#13 Clemson loses at Ga Tech
#21 Penn St loses in Illinois
#22 Bama loses to Fla St

If Florida loses, I wonder if 4 of the top 7 teams have ever lost in the same week before. 6 of the top 11, 7 of the top 13.

Buckeyes will be #4 in the country Monday.

Wow.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby mswerb » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:47 pm

Not a good time to be in the top 10.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:54 pm

Geez USC has like 5 home run hitters at RB, that is just sick.

With that kind of talent at RB if you lose one game you should be made to swim in San Fransisco bay in the middle of June.

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:12 pm

WTF was Tebow thinking?

That one decision/terrible pass could cost them a NC bid.

Still lot of time but man they just got mo on their side and gave it right back in a game in which they trail and are getting out manned and out played.

FUDU

Unread postby g00p » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:28 pm

haha florida laid an egg
g00p

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:28 pm

Ohio State #3?
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:29 pm

Stick it up your ass Fla and Urban Meyer.

Makes it that much sweeter for Auburn after pulling the last micro second TO crap that is becoming so ridiculous anymore.

Only a matter of time before the rules committee get to work on some kind of change. Will only take the right president or university to whine and get it done.

FUDU

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:30 pm

Wow, is this three straight weeks now we see that coach calling a timeout split seconds before the field goal snap? There is really is not much you can do about this (why did it take coaches so long to figure this out?) as it is well within the rules, but college and the NFL have a little problem on their hands with this. This is going to happen in every game now with a last second field goal attempt.
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:31 pm

OSU #4.....but a tough one on the road looms in Purdue. I still do not see the Bucks finishing the reg undefeated. They are going to slip somewhere.
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:39 pm

I agree Purdue looks quite respectable.

While we should win it that game most likely will be quite a test.

FUDU

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:41 pm

FUDU wrote:I agree Purdue looks quite respectable.

While we should win it that game most likely will be quite a test.

It's looking like its just the Big Three this year: TOSU, Wiscy, and the Spartans. And we've got both of them at the Shoe. I really really like our chances of running the table this year.
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:43 am

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Ohio State #3?

#4 probably. Cal beat a quality Oregon team. I don't see the Buckeyes hopping over the Golden Bears in either poll.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:51 am

FUDU wrote:Stick it up your ass Fla and Urban Meyer.

Makes it that much sweeter for Auburn after pulling the last micro second TO crap that is becoming so ridiculous anymore.

Only a matter of time before the rules committee get to work on some kind of change. Will only take the right president or university to whine and get it done.

I am enjoying this. USF should be ranked ahead of the Gators in the polls tomorrow, especially since we managed to beat Auburn. That's going to help our SOS.

As for Purdue and OSU, it's the first real test for both teams. Granted, Washington is doing a good job turning it around and they gave USC a scare, but I think a Big Ten matchup with a team you have a history against is more of a test. Every team Ohio State has played at the I-A level currently has a losing record. Purdue is the same. Both played good teams with a good history in I-AA and both those I-AA teams have winning records. An interesting test for both teams.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:33 am

mac I don't like to get too caught up in the comparing common opponents, b/c there are some variables in the comparisons, but I think a little can be taken from those situations.

While I don't think Washington is great I think they are a solid team all around with an offense that poses potential problems, while their D lacks a wee bit of everything. Having said that OSU took care of them rather easily, USC eh not so much. So the little bit I take out of that is that the gap between USC and OSU this year may not be as big as it was thought in the pre season.

Not to say USC didn't play maybe their worst game they will play all year and the Buckeyes their best, who knows.

I liken the Purdue game for the Buckeyes to that Washington game. Both are teams that are improved with a buzz about them and both playing well when OSU comes to town.

FUDU

Unread postby yargs7 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:13 am

You know, with all these upsets people need to realize just how hard it is to win in conference and or on the road. IMO, I really think Ohio State's knack for winning the games they are supposed to is overlooked on the national level. Everyone loves Oklahoma because they blow the doors off teams when they win, but then they lose to a Colorado or Okla st. Same with Texas. I'll give the SEC teams a pass because I don't consider losing to Auburn a huge upset.

Also, WHEN WILL THE MEDIA GET OVER THEIR OBSESSION WITH WEST VIRGINIA AND LOUISVILLE!!! THOSE TWO TEAMS WILL NEVER BE A NATIONAL TITLE CONTENDER. EVER!!!! WEST VIRGINIA IS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALL HYPE. I'M GLAD SOUTH FLORIDA HAS ARRIVED AS A VERY GOOD PROGRAM SO THEY CAN BEAT WVU AND "THE VILLE" EVERY YEAR.
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:48 pm

Seems like these weeks are just rolling right into the next.

Illinois makin some noise.

Tennessee beating up Georgia, that elite Georgia team according to ESPN's Jason Smith.

Jay Hawks beat KState with late game full court press. LOL.

Seriously Kansas this is football.

What a season this is.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:38 pm

USF is in a dog fight right now. They just got a TD on after a gift call on that kick interference.

WIll be interesting to see what all transpires tonight.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:26 pm

Furls wrote:USF is in a dog fight right now. They just got a TD on after a gift call on that kick interference.

WIll be interesting to see what all transpires tonight.

They pulled it out in a tough game that never should have been close. Four turnovers and a defense that decided to take the week off don't help.

FAU also fought hard. They did well in their protection schemes and their QB took risks that paid off. They had nothing to lose and played like it. USF looked like they had let all the positive press from this week get to their heads.

Next week will be interesting. UCF is a good mid-major team and may be 5-1. ESPN College Gameday is considering coming to Tampa for that game with an announcement to be made on Monday. I'm hoping this game served as a wake up call for the players and coaches. Everyone we play is now gunning for us like they did not in the past. I expected FAU to present some problems, but not as many as they did.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:41 pm

As much as the turnovers were an issue, it was still a very even game. If FAU's kicker could make a field goal.... who knows.

USF's offense has to play better if they are going to compete with the rest of the big dogs and I am still not convinced that Grothe can make the critical throws, but in the end, a win is a win is a win.

Based on what I saw this week and what I have seen of UCF this year, I am picking UCF to win that one.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:35 pm

Furls wrote:As much as the turnovers were an issue, it was still a very even game. If FAU's kicker could make a field goal.... who knows.

USF's offense has to play better if they are going to compete with the rest of the big dogs and I am still not convinced that Grothe can make the critical throws, but in the end, a win is a win is a win.

Based on what I saw this week and what I have seen of UCF this year, I am picking UCF to win that one.

We'll see what happens. UCF can certainly win. The game is a sellout and was very, very loud against WVU so the crowd can play a role in that game.

I think USF will take UCF seriously. I do agree on Grothe and think he'll be fine long term. These guys sometimes seem to play down to their competition - not a trait I like.

Hopefully they will learn from this and be a better team for it.

And a UCF loss would suck, but not be the end of the world. It's not a Big East game. We should beat them, but they also are pissed as hell. They don't like USF getting all the press. Hopefully we take care of business on national TV.

I'm loving the Big East contract with ESPN. I still don't get how the Big Ten could be so dumb by launching their own network. I think it will not help several of the teams in recruiting - a national deal with ESPN is far more attractive than being shown on the Big Ten network. Ohio State and Michigan won't have a problem because they will get national games (unless the Big Ten is really stupid), but everyone else is relegated to a network that not everyone has.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Rally Squirl » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:01 pm

ROFL

The Standford friggin Trees over USC
Rally Squirl

Unread postby Dozen » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:45 pm

Looks like LSU may survive
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:48 pm

Dozen wrote:Looks like LSU may survive

Les Miles has got some serious BALLS with the decisions that he has made in the 4th quarter. He'll definitely provide some major change in Ann Arbor when he takes over for Lloyd Carr next season. He certainly doesn't play it safe.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:09 am

Just getting back home from the LSU/Fla game. Good thing it wasn't cold out there, because Les Miles' rocks might have frozen right to the concrete. What a beast of a game.

Also, I'll say this.... Tim Tebow is as important to Florida's success as any player in the nation. I've got to give credit where it's due. MVP all the way.
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby neoleo » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:26 am

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:I'm loving the Big East contract with ESPN. I still don't get how the Big Ten could be so dumb by launching their own network. I think it will not help several of the teams in recruiting - a national deal with ESPN is far more attractive than being shown on the Big Ten network. Ohio State and Michigan won't have a problem because they will get national games (unless the Big Ten is really stupid), but everyone else is relegated to a network that not everyone has.

Not true. The Big Ten and ESPN/ABC still have their contract (in fact, they signed an extension just before the launch of the Big Ten Network).

Not only does the big ten still have the games on ESPN, but the deal calls for overflow games on ESPN/ESPN 2. For example, say Ohio State/Wisconsin is picked up by ABC at the same time Oklahoma and Nebraska are playing in Big 12 country. In this case, the OSU game would be on ABC in half the country (splitting with OU/Neb), while the OSU game would then move to ESPN or ESPN 2 in the rest of the country, making it a national game. That still doesn not include the regular ESPN and ESPN 2 games that will be aired.

The only games that are on BTN are the games that are not picked up by ABC, ESPN, and ESPN 2 (all pick before the BTN). The games that go to the BTN are now national games when in the past they would've been regional ESPN Plus/Gameplan games. This deal actually puts more Big Ten games on national TV.

Here's the link to the Big Ten's contract extension with ABC/ESPN.

http://bigten.cstv.com/genrel/062106aad.html

Up to 41 Big Ten football games will be televised - up to 17 on ABC and up to 25 on ESPN or ESPN2;

All regional afternoon football games aired on ABC will be aired by ESPN/ESPN2 in outer-markets, making these games nationally available;

Approximately 60 men's basketball games will air on an ESPN network (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN360), including games on each Tuesday and Thursday of the nine-week conference season, plus up to eight Saturday games during conference play;

A total of 100 women's basketball and volleyball events on an ESPN network, including the championship games of the Big Ten Women's Basketball Tournament, over the course of the agreement; and,

Through ESPN's collection of new media outlets such as ESPN.com, Mobile ESPN, ESPN360 and ESPN VOD, fans will receive live events (including simulcasts), extended video highlights including in-progress games, features and more.

In addition, Big Ten coverage will be available on ESPN Classic and throughout the world through ESPN International.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Return to College Sports Arena