Text Size

College Sports Arena

The Bucks new field is ATROCIOUS!

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

The Bucks new field is ATROCIOUS!

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:16 pm

Wow, how much did the Buckeyes pay for that piece of crap carpet they just installed this year?

I was at the game yesterday, and the field looked awful. You get any traffic on it, and "treadmarks" are left everywhere. The endzones are filled with black marks everywhere, and where the band came out and marched across the field and did the script Ohio they left what looked like huge tire tracks on the field.

Furls, have you seen anything where OSU is not happy with the field? Yesterday was the first student game, and I talked to several and that was the first thing they all said too, was that the field looked awful.

The field turf just does not seem to take high traffic well.....turns black.

I will say, that Nationwide Arena is FUCKING SAWEET. Freaking blows away the Q. I was also there yesterday for the Genesis concert, and the Arena is top notch.
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby furls » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:04 pm

I am not a big fan of field turf. Now, that said. Ohio State has top of the line field turf. It is the best stuff out there. Now it will look like crap this year because field turf takes about one year to "compact."

The field has all that ground up tire rubber (the black). It takes about a year for the rubber to meld together and get rammed into the "grass" properly. It will be much better next year.

This was really the only alternative for Ohio Stadium following the renovations several years ago. I wrote a couple of pieces on the grass and why it had to be replaced last year.

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/article_ ... php?id=960

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/article_ ... php?id=847

During the renovation of the stadium, the field was lowered fifteen feet and the height of the stadium was increased by about forty feet. Now, especially following the Autumnal Equinox, the grass does not get the light necessary to grow and recover at a healthy rate, due to the height of the stadium and its “North-South” orientation.

The result of this quandary is that Ohio State will either be forced to replace the field every year or two, as the sand builds up in the top soil, or the university will be forced to install “Field Turf.” Right now, it appears as though the “Field Turf” side appears to be winning.

Nationwide is bad ass, as is the Schott (Value City Arena).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby mswerb » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:05 pm

Even during the game you could still see the script "Ohio" in the turf from the band. They showed what the field looked like after a few games with natural turf, and it was beat. I guessing that the new turf will save them $$$ in the long run.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:39 pm

IN 2-3 years you won't remember how bad this field is now.

These fields take time to get settled in.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby bks92 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:06 pm

I love the Buckeyes from the bottom of my heart but the field does look cheap. I see all black in the endzones. They showed a reply of Robiske diving on his side for a ball and when he slid all this black air dirt flew all over. (n)
bks92
Michigan Sucks

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Michigan players

Return to College Sports Arena