Text Size

College Sports Arena

Florida's offense

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Florida's offense

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:37 pm

When it's all said and done, this Florida offense will rank with any offense of all time IMO. They now have the perfect QB for that spread. Mismatches everywhere, with superior athletes taking advantage of them, and a big, strong QB that can THROW. Good Lord.

As Griese said, in 6 years virtually everyone will be running this offense, and teams will figure ways to defend it. But right now, with the collection of players Florida has combined with defenses not seeing it much at this point, they are going to hang numbers on GOOD teams.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby furls » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:59 pm

Florida is impressive. They are almost certainly top 5, but I still want to see it on a good team this year. So far we have seen W. Kentucky, Troy, and Tennessee.

Tennessee is looking more and more like they received a preseason legacy ranking. Let's not forget that Cal put an easy 45 (38 points in the first 31 minutes of the game) on them.

Again, I am not saying Florida is not good. They have been one of the most impressive teams thus far. We will get a real sense of how good Florida is on the 6th when they play LSU in Baton Rouge. So far, I like LSU to win that one big, but it is hard to say.

IMO LSU has been by far the most impressive team in the NCAA, but I am not sold on VaTech either. That defense was overrated coming into this year based on playing no one last year. We will get a good sense of how good LSU is this week against S. Carolina.

I love this part of the year, when you are trying to sort out if wins are in fact as impressive as they seem at first.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:11 am

As a TEAM I certainly agree there are better ones, especially right now. For one thing I'm not sure how good their young D is, and they are having trouble pressuring the ball, probably due to the losses to the NFL. I just think offensively, when the spread offense takes over college football, that this is going to be the team that's historically referred to.

And you are correct, great time of the year. I'm interested in seeing Oklahoma against some step-up competition. They seem to have some ingredients that will stand up to better adversaries, but you never know, especially with young QB's. They can D up and it seems they have about 95 really good running backs. Texas needs to play better or they are going to get thumped, which will put put the Sooners smack dab in the middle of national title talk.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Toxicadam » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:26 am

Urban has always had an amazing offense of scheme (even back in his BGSU days). He just has never had this deep of talent that could make it unstoppable.

If the QB is being accurate, it's just too much for a college team to handle.
Toxicadam

Unread postby furls » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:37 am

I have already concluded that the Big 12 is very bad (outside of OK), and it is very likely that Oklahoma will be undefeated at the end of the year. I don't think I can say that about anyone else.

What is surprising to me is how "non elite" every conference outside of the SEC and PAC-10 are. The Big East is, well the Big East. West Virginia's one trick pony act on offense might send them through the Big East undefeated (i doub it it, but it might), but they would get mushroom stamped by any athletic defense.

The Big Ten is clearly down this year at the top end, although I think the middle of the pack guys look pretty decent (keep an eye on purdue).

The ACC is horrid, they got about 2 above average teams out there.

The Big 12 is a train wreck outside of Oklahoma. Texas is just waiting for the right game to lose this year. I think it is coming very soon. Nebraska is better, but still not "there." Missouri is "dangerous" but not good.

It is a very strange year in deed.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:00 am

While I have alot of respect for Tebow and think he is a fantastic player, I worry about LSU matching up with Percy Harvin more than anyone when the Gators come to town.

LSU has a very fast defense (especially the line and the backers) and I'm sure they'll be up to the task, but Meyer uses Harvin to his advantage and I'm sure they'll have it rolling by the time they get to Baton Rouge. I'm thinking LSU by 10 in that one. As for this weekend, I'm starting to gain a little confidence for the Carolina game.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:47 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:While I have alot of respect for Tebow and think he is a fantastic player, I worry about LSU matching up with Percy Harvin more than anyone when the Gators come to town.

LSU has a very fast defense (especially the line and the backers) and I'm sure they'll be up to the task, but Meyer uses Harvin to his advantage and I'm sure they'll have it rolling by the time they get to Baton Rouge. I'm thinking LSU by 10 in that one. As for this weekend, I'm starting to gain a little confidence for the Carolina game.

Very much agree with this. Harvin is tremendous. The fact that Tebow can throw the ball makes Harvin that much better. They can only concerntrate on Percy so much.

For the record I could understand a Tiger fan being nervous with this game, but I do think they've got enough defensively to allow LSU to outscore them. Florida cannot afford ANY mistakes against LSU, where the opposite I don't think is necessarily the case.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:48 pm

Florida's defense is looking very ordinary against a very, well, ordinary Ole Miss. The Rebels have 6 points on 3 very nice drives. Lots of stuff open down field. Based on what I see right now, I think you have to like LSU for the SEC now.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to College Sports Arena