Text Size

College Sports Arena

Ohio State vs. Washington Predictions

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Ohio State vs. Washington Predictions

Unread postby furls » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:47 am

Ready, Set, Go....
Last edited by furls on Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:09 am

I know I'll catch shit for this, but as you mentioned in the other thread I think Washington comes out smoking and has a chip on their shoulder looking for some respect. OSU is young and a little inexperienced too, and travelling across the country to play Washington.

I'm hoping for the Bucks to win this one, as if they can what a very nice win it would be and could catapult them back into NC consideration late in the year since they should be undefeated going into Wisconsin.

That said......27-17 Washington

I just don't have a good feeling about this game at all.
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:11 pm

24-10 OSU.

JT always brings the offense along slowly when he doesn't have what he had last year.

Washington is as unproven as we are this year.

I can see the D really stepping up, even to the point of scoring this week.

I also expect to see much more Saine as well.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby mswerb » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:48 pm

17-10
Buckeyes
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:41 pm

24-6. Breakout game for Beanie; and the Frosh QB can't see the forest (his receivers) for the trees (tOSU's Pass Rush). Go Bucks.
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:20 am

Sorry Tom, didn't mean to "Price is Right" you by going one point over you...

I went with Texas score from last year. 24-7
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby swerb » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:27 am

In my OSU season prediction, I called for OSU to lose this game, but Im gonna change my mind the week of and go with the Buckeyes.

Ultimately, by far the best unit of the six we'll see today is the Buckeyes defense. Washington has a frosh QB, and I feel they will be a little too jacked up playing before this raucous crowd, and trying to atone for what they feel as a slight, being 3.5 pt dogs at home and not being ranked despite two really impressive opening wins.

I expect the Husky defense to play well, I expect the Buckeye offense to continue to struggle. I expect the Buckeye defense to set up a couple scores, and for Ohio State to win the game 23-13.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby paddio » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:13 am

Going to be a tight game....I will say OSU 20 Wash 17
paddio

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:37 pm

Not a bad start.

That is a TD with Troy at QB, or if Bman really got into that throw.

FUDU

Unread postby swerb » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:39 pm

Boeckman looks like shite.

Had Robiskie on anothr deep one, underthrew him badly.

Wells has looked good, but the Bucks have gotten alot of breaks, and are lucky to be up 3-0.

This Locker kid is tough.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:43 pm

I love Brandon Saine. This kid is gonna be a stud.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:49 pm

Swerb wrote:Boeckman looks like shite.

Had Robiskie on anothr deep one, underthrew him badly.

Wells has looked good, but the Bucks have gotten alot of breaks, and are lucky to be up 3-0.

This Locker kid is tough.

I think Locker is faster than they thought. The Bucks have gotten all the breaks, but they're making WAY too many mistakes. If they don't tigten it up, they"re gonna get beat.
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:51 pm

I am confident, the D is impressing me and it should be 9-0. I like JT in games like this when we miss opportunities, he seems to grasp that quickly and adjust very well.

Wells is just so close to really being something. I think they need a bit more delayed runs, he seems to be excelling at that right now.

Locker is good but IMO we are not playing him like we should.

FUDU

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:54 pm

FUDU wrote:I am confident, the D is impressing me and it should be 9-0. I like JT in games like this when we miss opportunities, he seems to grasp that quickly and adjust very well.

Wells is just so close to really being something. I think they need a bit more delayed runs, he seems to be excelling at that right now.

Locker is good but IMO we are not playing him like we should.

Not sure why they don"t spell Wells after a long run, given their depth. He doesn't appear to have the same burst on the second of consecutive carries, and the results show.
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:58 pm

That hurts, it could be downer for our D, after dong more than their job, to give up a last second score?

The O needs to come out and help them out in the second half.

That should have been covered much better and with relative ease.

FUDU

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:59 pm

FUDU wrote:I am confident, the D is impressing me and it should be 9-0. I like JT in games like this when we miss opportunities, he seems to grasp that quickly and adjust very well.

D had been bending and not breaking all 1/2...until the last drive. Gotta pick it up.
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:00 pm

FUDU wrote:I am confident, the D is impressing me and it should be 9-0.

Forgetting about the fumble returned for a touch by Washington?

Not to mention the dropped picks.
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:26 pm

Not sure why we're not completely selling out on Locker. Does Washington have anything else?
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:29 pm

Hi Oktane wrote:Not sure why we're not completely selling out on Locker. Does Washington have anything else?

Like that!
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:30 pm

Wow. Tres was amp'd after that block. Don't normally see that kind of emotion out of him.
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby swerb » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:31 pm

Time to capitalize. Id keep running the ball, its been effective. Gotta get in the zone.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:33 pm

Swerb wrote:Time to capitalize. Id keep running the ball, its been effective. Gotta get in the zone.

CAPITALIZED!
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby swerb » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:34 pm

Or throw a bomb to Robiskie, either one.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:34 pm

Thats a big bomb for my college fantasy football team too!

Robo has been a beast for me this year!

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:39 pm

And let the asswhoopin' begin. Beanie!!!
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby swerb » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:40 pm

Nice.

DE-FENSE. DE-FENSE.

Lets go.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:41 pm

Anyone else having Eddie George flashbacks?
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:50 pm

Eddie had no where near the feet this kid has. Eddie was much more power and more of a traditional workhorse that had just enough speed to get out into the defensive backfield and force guys to take him on. Chris Wells can make lots of guys miss, lots. Still has some work to do in proving he is the work horse type back EG was.

FUDU

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:53 pm

FUDU wrote:

Eddie had no where near the feet this kid has. Eddie was much more power and more of a traditional workhorse that had just enough speed to get out into the defensive backfield and force guys to take him on. Chris Wells can make lots of guys miss, lots. Still has some work to do in proving he is the work horse type back EG was.

Agree.. Just meant the gliding yet punishing style; a 245 LB ballerina. If he proves anything close to Eddie, I'll be ecstatic.
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:56 pm

Agreed.

Another thing that is great about OSU football, you know they are going to tackle every year. With exception to a year or two in the middle of Cooper's era this team has been one of if not the most impressive tackling programs in the country, particularly under JT.

IMO that....WOW right in the middle of my sentence the Road Warrior witha spectacular pick.

Forgot what I wanted to say.
Last edited by FUDU on Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FUDU

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:57 pm

James Laurinitis personifies "big play ability".
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:58 pm

FUDU wrote:Agreed.

Another thing that is great about OSU football, you know they are going to tackle every year. With exception to a year or two in the middle of Cooper's era this team has been one of if not the most impressive tackling programs in the country, particularly under JT.

IMO that....WOW right in the middle of my sentence the Road Warrior witha spectacular pick.

Forgot what I wanted to say.

Cooper did have some awful tackling teams.
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:59 pm

IMO he is the most settling player I have seen in a long time. May not be the best at any one thing, as many like to say he is, but he just brings such a feeling of confidence and calm settling to a team. I think it rubs off.

Oh and that pass, Ginn takes that for a TD 99/100 times.

FUDU

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:01 pm

FUDU wrote:IMO he is the most settling player I have seen in a long time. May not be the best at any one thing, as many like to say he is, but he just brings such a feeling of confidence and calm settling to a team. I think it rubs off.

I would argue that there isn't a player that gets more out of his physical ability than Laurinitis does out of his.
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:05 pm

Yikes, Boeckman throwing off his back foot. Hartline showed good strength there and saved his Qube a pick.
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:08 pm

Why doesn't OSU run pitches?

We have plenty RB speed to get to the outside or juke back inside to force some misses.

I didn't like that play calling at all.

Why not run Bman up the middle there, or more Wells up the middle or the pitch?

Those pass plays were a waste of time, err I mean not enough.

Another thing, our D backfield looks absolutely huge on TV. Watch em after plays as they walk back to the huddle, they look like linebackers from 10-12 years ago.

FUDU

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:40 pm

Nice adjustments at halftime by OSU. I think Washington outsmarted itself by trying to catch OSU off-guard with a pass attack when Locker was getting it done on the ground.
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:57 pm

IMO, one of Tressel's biggest wins today.

I'm a believer now with this team, and I think we saw a team grow up there and establish itself in the second half. They have a clear path to be 8-0 now going into that Penn State game, although there is always a chance for a stumble along the way.

The concerns I had going into the game showed itself in the first half, but I think we saw a team grow by leaps and bounds in the second half for a HUGE road win. Crow never tasted so good.

This team, in some ways, may end up a lot like the 2002 team that plays a lot of teams close with great defense.....let's hope they avoid an upset before the PSU game, and then take our chances from there those last four games!
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Return to College Sports Arena