Text Size

College Sports Arena

OSU Not in Top 25

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

OSU Not in Top 25

Unread postby pup » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:46 am

http://www.mercextra.com/blogs/colleges ... ball-poll/

Looking at Ohio State, for example, I believe the Buckeyes will start the season 5-0, then endure a late-season slide due to the back-loaded nature of their schedule (Penn State, Wisconsin and Michigan in the stretch run).

Because I think the Buckeyes will finish with a handful of losses, they are not in my preseason top-25.

Again, they might be one of the 25 best teams right now, but I don’t think they’ll deserve to be ranked in January, and that’s what I’m interested in here.

Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:16 am

So, don't vote based on how a team looks right now and the information presently at your disposal.....instead vote how you think the season plays out and guess who wins which matchup and who will be good in January?

Get this guy off the voting panel.
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:43 pm

I'm no Ohio State fan, but they should be in the Top 25 without a doubt. At worst, I think they're the third best team in the Big Ten and we won't know for sure until the season starts.

I don't know if I'd put them in the top ten right now because I'm not sure what kind of a team they'll be, but they're in the top 15 in the country and can easily climb based on performance.

This isn't one of the national polls, but it does expose reasons to me why preseason rankings in college football are silly. There's so much turnover for college teams that it's hard to know exactly what each team has got prior to the season. It'd be better for the national polls to wait a month before ranking the teams.

That won't stop guys from putting up rankings on their blogs, but it's hard to speculate on what might happen in November when you have yet to see any action.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:57 pm

The dude is from San Jose what did you expect. California writes absolutely hate midwest Big Ten, and particularly OSU stuff.

That part of the country is still bitter b/c they though USC should have played Miami in 2003 instead of the Buckeyes.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby furls » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:15 am

Pollsters are a joke. Frankly, because I follow college sports just as close as these guys and I am NOT affiliated with a major mainstream media outlet; I think I may be a bit more qualified than alot of these rejects

Too many of them fall into one of thse two categories:

1.) Biased and Agenda driven. No explanation needed.
2.) Hedging Bets: Right now I think Auburn one of the best teams in the country, but there is a really good chance that they could finish the season with 3 losses or more simply because of their brutal schedule. Right now they are ranked below a couple of average Big East teams that are their simply because they are guaranteed to have 11 wins based on 0 strength of schedule.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:31 pm

Have no idea why they have a pre-season poll. How would you know how good a team really will be until the end of September.

That's why the BCS Poll makes a lot of sense to me.

Personally, I'm glad the Bucks are in the Top 10, but their early schedule is weak. I doubt they rise higher than 10 before conference play starts. At least, they won't deserve to be higher than 10.
Cleveland: Where the Tower is Terminal and the Lake is (e)Erie- Alex Bevan
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby thedirtceo » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:55 am

Was MySHITagain ranked in the 2006 pre season poll???

Bottom line here.. this clown has Florida State @ #12. STOP!!!!

2 words for you college football fans...................

ROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL TIDEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thedirtceo
Thread Killer

Return to College Sports Arena