Text Size

College Sports Arena

Anyone got a few bucks?

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Anyone got a few bucks?

Unread postby furls » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:40 pm

Right now Ohio State is going off at 25-1 to win the national championship. I do not really think that they will win, but I would definitely give them better than 25-1 with their soft schedule and other uncertainty across the Big Ten.

Here are some of the other dogs paying some pretty long odds:

OKLAHOMA 20/1 20/1
CALIFORNIA 25/1 25/1
FLORIDA ST 25/1 25/1
OHIO ST 25/1 25/1
TENNESSEE 25/1 25/1
VIRGINIA TECH 25/1 25/1
ARKANSAS 30/1 30/1
GEORGIA 30/1 30/1
PENN ST 30/1 30/1
UCLA Bruins 30/1 30/1
NEBRASKA 40/1 40/1
RUTGERS 40/1 40/1
TEXAS A&M 40/1 40/1
ALABAMA 50/1 50/1
AUBURN 50/1 50/1
MIAMI-FLA 50/1 50/1
NOTRE DAME 50/1 50/1
OREGON 50/1 50/1
S CAROLINA 50/1 50/1
FIELD (ALL OTHERS) 60/1 60/1
BOISE ST 75/1 75/1
BOSTON COLLEGE 75/1 75/1
BYU Cougars 75/1 75/1
CLEMSON 75/1 75/1

Ohio State has to be the best value pick out of that mess but there are still some pretty good numbers up there.

Florida and LSU are both going off at 8 and 10 to 1 respectively.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-foo ... s/futures/
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:55 pm

The Bucks are a good value pick, though it'll be tough for anyone to take USC. Still, $100 down wouldn't be a bad thing.

Loved the link. The ad that I got on the right hand side featured a hot chick popping out of a referee's uniform. It took me a few seconds to close my jaw and look at the odds and I was distracted the whole time.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:40 pm

If we didn't go to the NC game this past season I would consider it even a higher value pick, just considering how hard it is to go to back to back NC games.

I know I know it has happened a lot in the last 6-7 years but in the world of gambling it is still a rarity.

Not to get all into a big thing but if the Buckeyes were to be undefeated heading into the michigan game they would have to have an excellent shot at getting in again. Their schedule is set up for such a run.

Just sayin.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:22 pm

FUDU wrote:If we didn't go to the NC game this past season I would consider it even a higher value pick, just considering how hard it is to go to back to back NC games.

I know I know it has happened a lot in the last 6-7 years but in the world of gambling it is still a rarity.

Not to get all into a big thing but if the Buckeyes were to be undefeated heading into the michigan game they would have to have an excellent shot at getting in again. Their schedule is set up for such a run.

Just sayin.

Can't see it happening, especially when they have to go into Happy Valley and try to win there. Never an easy thing to do against any Penn State team who is even modestly talented (like they are this year).

Trust me. I believe The Ohio State University should have a hammerlock on the NC game every year. But I'm a realist and, for whatever reason, I can see them running the table, even on this cream puff sked they have this season.

However, anyone who thinks tOSU has already lost because of the loss of Smith, Ginn, Pittman and Company has a rude awakening coming. Tressel is a master at reloading. He simply doesn't rebuild. And he always gets the bulk of Ohio's best talent to play in Columbus. You can't ask for anything more.

I'm on record as saying that Wisconsin will be the team to beat in the Big 11. I'll stand by that, even when they have to win in Cowtown and Happy Valley to accomplish that. They seem to have an x-factor coming into the season. But we'll also have to see if Bielema can carry some of Alvarez' karma into this season.
Cleveland: Where the Tower is Terminal and the Lake is (e)Erie- Alex Bevan
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:43 pm

Can't see it happening, especially when they have to go into Happy Valley and try to win there. Never an easy thing to do against any Penn State team who is even modestly talented (like they are this year).

Penn St. stinks, as overrated as any team that has been in last 2-3 years. The only reason we have had problems with them the past 2 times is due to playing down to their level. Complacency IMO.

Wisky and michigan will pose the problems but not PSU.

FUDU

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:16 pm

FUDU wrote:

Penn St. stinks, as overrated as any team that has been in last 2-3 years. The only reason we have had problems with them the past 2 times is due to playing down to their level. Complacency IMO.

Wisky and michigan will pose the problems but not PSU.

Let me say this...Ohio State is the better team nearly every year they play Penn State. They still run into problems when they play them on the road and it doesn't matter how awful Penn State is. It would be wrong to underestimate Penn State when the Bucks play them on the road.

Wisc. will pose problems because of their size and team speed. TOSU has the home field that day, but the Bucks have to have the A-game in gear to beat the Badgers.

TSUN will pose no problems for tOSU. The D unit for the Conquering Homos was as decimated by early exit and graduation as Ohio State's was. And Boeckman will prove to be a more than capable replacement for Troy Smith, so any thoughts of Ohio State not being able to retool a position player who won the (overrated) Heisman Trophy are thoughts emanating from a mind who has no idea how to don a helmet.

The Bucks will be equal, if not superior, to TSUN at RB. All they have at RB is Hart. When the pip squeak goes down (and he will) they don't have much behind him. In essence, their running game is him and Henne when he is flushed out of the pocket. That's it.

The Bucks have at least three RBs who could start at damn near any school in the Big 11. Wells, Wells and Saine are all studs.

Translation: Ohio State will have their matchup problems with Wisc. and PSU, but TSUN won't quite be able to figure out Tressel's scheme. Then again, would you expect anything different from Ann Arbor's "finest"?
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby furls » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:17 pm

I want to post on this so bad, but I do not want to preview my big ten preview which should be done by the end of the week.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:38 pm

Furls wrote:I want to post on this so bad, but I do not want to preview my big ten preview which should be done by the end of the week.

We'll await it anxiously!!!
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:54 pm

I too am anxious to read now.

I agree with everything you say about W and lil m for the most part, I just don't see it at all with the Knitting Lions.

FUDU

Return to College Sports Arena