Text Size

College Sports Arena

Buckeyes Land Garrett Goebel!!!

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Buckeyes Land Garrett Goebel!!!

Unread postby paddio » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:58 am

Buckeyes land Garrett Goebel a big tim DL recruit out of Ill and we beat out Michigan in the process

Here is a database of all OSU Commitments

http://www.ohiocardplayers.com/OSU%20Rcruiting.html
paddio

Unread postby neoleo » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:55 pm

This was big because of the lack of depth at the DT spot (not to mention beating out um).

Last year should've been a year that OSU brought in at least 2 DT's to save the two deep, but they whiffed on everybody except for the late pickup of Hayward (who's showing well already, although I've heard rumblings of him being a DE).
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby furls » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:20 pm

Buckeyes are looking pretty deep at DE and I would be very surprised if anyone was moved to DE, particularly from DT. If a DT was moved to DE it would be due to an inability to play with leverage/pad level too high type of thing.

It is not likely that anyone will be taking Robert Rose's, Lawrence Wilson's, or Alex Barrow's jobs in 2008.

Beating out UM in recruits isnt as significant now as it was a few years ago. They are beginning to have serious trouble bringing in major recruits that other schools are in on. (see Gholston, V., Saine B., Worthington, D.... etc.). The condition of that program is actually a bit sad right now. A good scUM team is good for the Big Ten and good for the Buckeyes, but I think after this year they are going to be looking at some pretty lean years.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby neoleo » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:09 pm

Furls wrote:Buckeyes are looking pretty deep at DE and I would be very surprised if anyone was moved to DE, particularly from DT. If a DT was moved to DE it would be due to an inability to play with leverage/pad level too high type of thing.

It is not likely that anyone will be taking Robert Rose's, Lawrence Wilson's, or Alex Barrow's jobs in 2008.

I agree for the most part, I don't see the staff moving DT's to DE when they're thin at Tackle and looking good at End. But, I've heard that Heyward was actually a better DE than DT. Since he's a new FR, he technically wouldn't be moving from DT to DE, he would be given a first chance to play as a DE, which reportedly would be where the coaches see the most potential.

In my opinion, he's a DT and they need him there.

Also, although maybe its a longshot, there is the potential for Wilson to have a huge year (ala Gholstin last season) and go pro. Even with him, you're down to Rose (who would be a first year starter in 08 ) and Wilson as the starters and a still unproven Barrow as the third end (he's not going to play much with those guys and Gholstin still ahead of him this year). Although unproven and thin beyond the two deep, the DT spot is actually set for starters through the next few years. Nobody between the three man rotation of Worthington, Larrimore and Denlinger are older than a sophomore.

Potentially, you could start Heyard out as a DE and redshirt him this year. That would put him in line to battle Barrow for the 3rd DE spot as a rs-FR. That would then put Nader Abdallah into the mix this year at DT as the 4th DT (which rarely plays in this defense anyway). That would then open the door for Goebell to take over for Abdallah as a FR if Abdallah faulters, or redshirt and enter the two deep as a rs-FR in 09 and start as a SO in 2010.

Let's also not forget the possibility of Heyward to follow the path of Rob Rose and play sparingly as a FR at end and then potentially gain more playing time as he gets older (and bigger) inside. Don't be surprised to see a DL consisting of Wilson, Rose, Worthington, and Gholstin on passing downs this year. I could see Heyward playing that type of role (Fraser, Scott, Peterson amongst others have started at end and slid down to DT on passing downs in the past).
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby BadBecks » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:54 am

Furls wrote:Beating out UM in recruits isnt as significant now as it was a few years ago. They are beginning to have serious trouble bringing in major recruits that other schools are in on. (see Gholston, V., Saine B., Worthington, D.... etc.). The condition of that program is actually a bit sad right now. A good scUM team is good for the Big Ten and good for the Buckeyes, but I think after this year they are going to be looking at some pretty lean years.

Let me start this by saying I hate UM with ever bone in my body.

Any recruiting score over UM is still a score. They are still recruiting to the point that they did indeed have the best recruiting class in the conference this past offseason...headlined by Ryan Mallett, a 6-6 235 pound QB (ranked the #5 overall recruit) from Texas. I watched him in one of the all-star games...the kid looks legit. They did have a top-10 national class compared to OSU's #16 (some ranked even lower).

My point is the recruiting war with "that school up north" is and will forever be a never ending war. Sure, OSU won the war on the field lately, but this just means UM will come back harder...especially without Troy Smith wearing the scarlet and grey anymore.
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to College Sports Arena