Text Size

College Sports Arena

The SEC

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

The SEC

Unread postby intenso » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:20 pm

with apologies to the B10ers around here...

There are a few SEC fans on this board it seems. How do you guys see the football season playing out this year? Predicted finish in east and west?
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby pup » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:17 pm

Please add predictions for number of games with < 20 total points scored :lol: :P :-P :razz:
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:13 pm

Please add predictions for number of games with < 20 total points scored

Everybody's a comedian these days. :lol:

Predicted finish in east and west?

West: LSU (obvious pick from me), Arkansas, Auburn, Bama, State, Ole Miss
East: Georgia, Florida, Carolina, Vandy, Tenn, Kentucky
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby pup » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:24 pm

When is the Bama LSU game?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby intenso » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:27 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:
West: LSU (obvious pick from me), Arkansas, Auburn, Bama, State, Ole Miss
East: Georgia, Florida, Carolina, Vandy, Tenn, Kentucky

Is this going to save Croom and doom Coach O?
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby intenso » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:28 pm

Pup wrote:When is the Bama LSU game?

It's really too bad that it isn't in BR this year.
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:31 pm

Is this going to save Croom and doom Coach O?

I think O is done after this season, and I couldn't be happier about that. I think they were wrong for giving Coach Cut the axe when they did, and don't think O was deserving of a head coaching job. Croom on the other hand, I'm not sure. I'm cheering for him.

When is the Bama LSU game?

Nov 3, Tuscaloosa.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby TribeinLA » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:13 pm

I'm a big LSU fan and alum. I will be down in BR a lot this upcoming season. Buckeye fans, I can even remember the 13-13 ties with yall down in Baton Rouge. It was so loud that Tom Tupa had to step away from center and wait for about 2 and a half minutes to snap. Earl Bruce, the gamesmanship prick that he was, delayed the game for about 10 minutes because he wouldn't bring Ohio State out first into the stadium. LSU wanted to come out of the locker room 2nd. It was a classic North vs. South matchup and ended in a tie.

Anyhow:

West
1. LSU
2. Arkansas
3. Auburn
4. Alabama
5. Ole Miss
6. Miss State

West
1. Tennessee
2. Georgia
3. South Carolina
4. Florida
5. Kentucky
6. Vanderbilt

Florida has some major holes to fill on defense and we'll see just how well Tebow can adjust to becoming a full-time QB. Tennessee, if Erik Ainge is healthy, should eek out the East and get UGA at home and I predict they beat Florida in Gainesville. SC is a very under the radar team and could make a run, but they hav eto play at LSU, Ark, and UGA.

The west is LSU's to lose. They get the tough teams at home: VT, Florida, Auburn, SC, and Arkansas. Yes, LSU fans can't wait for the game in Tuscaloosa. Arkansas should do well and they get Auburn at home, which may decide 2nd place and a better bowl spot. Auburn is going to be tough as usual, but they play a very tough schedule and Brandon Cox at qb is not a great thing. Bama, under Saban, is a year or two away.

The SEC still has the most defensive speed of any other conference (You Buckeye fans know about that, eh?) and there should be some classic battles in '07. My favorite games:

Tennessee at Florida - not quite the luster it once had, but bitter foes.

Georgia at Tennesee - Dawgs want payback for the home embarrassment last season

Florida at LSU - Rematch of a game that LSU lost due to 6 turnovers

Tennessee at Alabama - These two HATE each other more than any other teams in the SEC. This is always a close game with a lot of dirty play.

Auburn at LSU - Winner of this game has won the SEC western div 5 of the last 7 years.

Auburn at Georgia - The south's oldest rivalry continues where the road team has much success, just like last year when UAG shocked Auburn at home.

Arkansas at Tennesee - 2 evenly matched teams who will be playing for their shot to be on top in their respective divisions.

Florida at South Carolina - Spurrier tries for 2/3 over his old team

Arkansas at LSU - An epic game last year and sure to be another good one

Florida vs. Georgia (at Jacksonville) The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party is 2nd or 3rd in the most heated rivalries of the SEC.

Alabama at Auburn - The "Iron Bowl" has been won by Auburn the last 5 years. Saban's 4.5 million dollar contract has a large stipulation in it...MUST BEAT AUBURN!
TribeinLA

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:45 pm

TribeinLA

Good to see someone else here who shares the same favorites as myself. Do you have season seats or you just get em as you can?

I can even remember the 13-13 ties with yall down in Baton Rouge.

All though I am a little too young to remember these, I grew up around the same hometown as Andolsek and have heard the stories of he and Spielman getting into it in pregame. Classic.

Also, what's your thoughts on ranking Tenn so high and Florida so low? I think Tennessee has some horses, but I don't see Ainge being consistent enough of a leader to get it done. Should be a fun season though.
Last edited by Bayou Tribe on Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby TribeinLA » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:07 am

Yeah, you must be from the big city of Thibodaux. Nice. I was born near Monroe and attended college at LSU. My dad and I have had season tix since the '95 season. I rarely miss a game - 3 in the last 5 years.

Yeah, Andolsek and Speilman did get in it as I recall. They were shoving at midfield and were really going at it all game. The really ironic and very touching part: They became teammates and best friends in Detroit when both played for the Lions. Speilman gave the eulogy at Eric's funeral. Eric was a GREAT lineman who would have made all pro several times. Only Alan Faneca was better. Not even Kevin Mawae was more dominating and we all know how good he is.

As for Tennessee...

I think they get by Cal on the road by a point or 2. They get UGA at home and I think they can go down to Gainesville and win (they did 4 years ago under similar circumstances). Florida lost a lot of guys and defensive weapons from that c'ship team. Wow - LSU had the gators on the ropes and messed it all up! It still angers me. LSU was as good as Florida.

Should be a great year in the SEC. The nation will begin watching on August 30th!
TribeinLA

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby BadBecks » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:03 pm

I'll be making my first game in Knoxville this year. My girlfriend is an alum and is a hardcore Vol. Let's just say it got a lil ugly here at home during that NCAA Tourney game last march...
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:37 am

Yeah, you must be from the big city of Thibodaux. Nice.

Guilty. Actually the outskirts of Thibodaux.

Speilman gave the eulogy at Eric's funeral. Eric was a GREAT lineman who would have made all pro several times. Only Alan Faneca was better.

I read an article here in the local paper about that a couple weeks ago. Eric's nephew is a high profile DE recruit this year from my old high school and there was a piece on their family tradition. Also, coincidentally, Faneca has a home in Thibodaux for the offseason.
Bayou Tribe

Return to College Sports Arena