Text Size

College Sports Arena

I Love College Football Season

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

I Love College Football Season

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:38 pm

There's nothing quite like Saturdays in the fall.

Yeah, I love the NFL. But lets be honest. The Browns complete and utter ineptitude has taken some of the luster away from that special feeling I used to get when I woke up on Sunday morning, and remembered the Browns had a game at 1 PM after coming to.

Saturdays, the games start earlier. You get 12-20 televised games depending on your cable package, and they go off at all different times. And you still have the next day off, with a full slate of NFL games. One of the bad parts about Sundays is when the "oh shit, I've got to work tomorrow" feeling sets in.

Me, I wake up early .... Im talking beat the kid up by a couple hours early. Knock put any household duties I have to take care of so I can slip into lockdown mode. Make some of that great Dunkin Donuts coffee, fresh grinding the beans. Find some kind of obscure cable TV pregame show till Gameday comes on. And spend a couple final hours online researching my bets online.

August 30th. Can't wait ...
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:49 pm

Agreed.

College football is the best season in sports, period.

Part of the reason, or actually maybe nearly the whole reason is b/c every game does in fact mean so much.

It is make or break it every week for 98% of the teams out there.

Does college football have its flaws, absolutely, but sometimes those flaws are what add to the overall drama year in and year out.

On a side not about our beloved Buckeyes. They are in as perfect a position as a team not considered loaded on top level talent can be. Ranked in top ten and according to the latest reports have a top ten schedule in terms of ease of play. Very much like the 2002 season being ranked a bit lower than one would like to start off, if they take care of business early they could be sitting in a nice spot come November and you just never know.

No question they could be playing for a Big ten title up north in November. Just going to have to go about it a different way this time around and it will be a bit more unsettling for us fans not having an offense that can bail you out of anything.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:03 pm

I agree also.
College football every Saturday is just awesome.

Unread postby furls » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:12 pm

And spend a couple final hours online researching my bets online

Ill save you some time, Ill send you my picks, I think I hit ~75% on my Buckeyes picks last year (over/under and spread).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Dozen » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:11 pm

FightDr wrote:I agree also.
College football every Saturday is just awesome.

Spoon, Friday - Monday's are awesome. I have really been getting into local HS games as well.!
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby tribetalk » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:35 pm

I love College Football, I am truly indifferent when it comes to the NFL. NCAA Football is just awesome, you can have more than one team and watch so many different games at so many different times throughout the day.

For me, I love my Youngstown St. Penguins, of the Division 1-FCS/AA. They are ranked Top 5 once again and are looking to having another great year.

See I have a team in the I-A and I-AA; which really gets me hooked to the TV during the fall to see all the scores and all the games.

GO YSU
www.GuinZone.com
tribetalk

Favorite Player: Carlos Santana
Least Favorite Player: Lou Marson

Unread postby intenso » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:47 am

this will get ya pumped for the season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bjvKC0LCjo
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:40 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjE8FnPNgEg&mode=related&search=

This one works well at getting me fired up.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:05 pm

I used to love college football and still enjoy watching it occasionally, but don't watch very much and haven't for the past ten years. I do watch a lot involving my alma mater, USF, and love going to the games. Those are the only games I commit to watching. I also favor the Big East now and will watch those games first if I watch anything.

I'll check in on games during the day, keeping up with scores and stats. I just don't get much joy in watching most of the games anymore. I used to, but football as a whole has been far less appealing to me since the Move in 1995. Browns weren't college, but it left a sour taste in my mouth for the whole sport and essentially made baseball my favorite sport.

I can still get very passionate for my school and can keep interest because of that. A lot of Saturdays I end up going to Busch Gardens, Sea World, Universal, or Disney because the crowds are much smaller in the fall on Saturday due to football.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:36 pm

intenso wrote:this will get ya pumped for the season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bjvKC0LCjo

Man, does it ever. That is so great. Ohio Stadium is just a special, specia place to be on Saturday mornings.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:04 pm

I agree, and I think I'll be frequenting this forum a lot more this fall. I am getting my LSU season tickets in the mail this week and I was able to pick up tickets for 2 away games as well (Tulane, Ole Miss). I can't wait.
Last edited by Bayou Tribe on Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby intenso » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:53 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:I agree, and I think I'll be frequenting this forum a lot more this fall. I actually just got my LSU season tickets in the mail this week and I was able to pick up tickets for 2 away games as well (Tulane, Ole Miss). I can't wait.

Nothing better than getting that package of tickets in the mail. I can't believe you guys get yours already. I can't wait, even though our home schedule is bleh.
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:13 pm

Yeah, well there isn't really much in this town other than LSU football so folks tend to get a touch of madness during the summer months leading up.

even though our home schedule is bleh.

Ours was like that last year, but this year is going to be a blast as we have Va Tech, Florida, Auburn, and Arkansas coming to Baton Rouge. I am counting down the days!
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby intenso » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:40 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:Yeah, well there isn't really much in this town other than LSU football so folks tend to get a touch of madness during the summer months leading up.

Believe me, I know how you feel. I live in Fayetteville.
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:19 am

I live in Fayetteville

Are you a hog fan or do you follow OSU? I've heard great things about the stadium in Fayetville, too bad they keep playing the LSU/Ark game in Little Rock. That stadium (War Mem.) is a dump.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby intenso » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:33 am

Bayou Tribe wrote:
I live in Fayetteville

Are you a hog fan or do you follow OSU? I've heard great things about the stadium in Fayetville, too bad they keep playing the LSU/Ark game in Little Rock. That stadium (War Mem.) is a dump.

I'm a Hog fan.

The worst part about playing LSU in LR is that it means that dump is on TV every two years. Plus it only holds 50,000 so it really drags down our attendance numbers.
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:43 am

We've (the whole family) been to the game in War Mem. every other year for the last 8 years or so. Tailgating on the golf course is really nice, but the stadium leaves a little to be desired (especially knowing that they have a state of the art place on campus in Fayetville).

The last year and a half I was working and living in Memphis so we visited Heber Springs a few times and even made it up to Fayetville to visit a friend of mine up there. Good times. :thumleft:

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby pup » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:15 am

Ours was like that last year, but this year is going to be a blast as we have Va Tech, Florida, Auburn, and Arkansas coming to Baton Rouge.

Damn, that is some solid football games to attend!

You might want to tell Les "Brain Cells than a crowbar" Miles to not bite off more than he can chew with this little SC battle though.

Maybe if they do match up for a title game the halftime show could be Miles vs Carroll in an octagon!

What is your opinion of Miles? I think he is a bit overmatched with that program. Can he keep it rolling?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:36 am

Damn, that is some solid football games to attend!

I'm jacked. We've also got Carolina coming in so it should be fun to see what Spurrier has up his sleeve.

You might want to tell Les "Brain Cells than a crowbar" Miles to not bite off more than he can chew with this little SC battle though.

I've got mixed feelings on that one. Agree with it or disagree with it, some things are better left unsaid. I guess now that it has been laid down, you gotta step up to the plate.

What is your opinion of Miles?

The first two years have been a blast, but the jury is still out. I like his enthusiasm, he's got great passion and you can tell he is a football guy all the way. He loves the coaches, staff, players, etc. He can benefit by not speaking everything that pops into his mind however. He's been a great recruiter thus far although the state of Louisiana is usually loaded and LSU is the only game in town so in that regard it isnt too surprising. I don't know to be honest. I think he'll benefit from great talent and facilities, and as long as he keeps a good staff around him he'll be alright.

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby intenso » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:18 am

Les is smart. You have to start campaigning in the summer with the system the way it is. He is making sure everybody knows that LSU is a national title contender.
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:28 am

That is one way to look at it intenso. It will come back into the media if they are both ranked in the top 5 late in the season.

Without completely hijacking Swerb's thread, I'll just say that I agree with what Miles said but also agree that you don't always have to say what pops into your head.

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Return to College Sports Arena