Text Size

College Sports Arena

2014 - Call Your Shot

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

2014 - Call Your Shot

Unread postby fairvis » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:19 am

Prediction thread! OK, so let's go with some fearless predictions here of the Buckeyes record, the B1G champion, the 4 teams that make the playoffs, and then the eventual national champion.

Here's where I'll start:

OSU Record - 9-3; losses @MSU, @PSU, and a whoopsie either between Va Tech or Cincy due to a freshman QB.

B1G Champion - MSU over Nebraska
Playoff Teams: Florida State, Alabama, UCLA, and then the 2nd place team in the SEC West (Auburn or A&M).

National Champ: FSU is hard to pick against, so I'll go with that...

What do you guys think?
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Re: 2014 - Call Your Shot

Unread postby furls » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:22 pm

I only see one 50:50 shot at an L on the schedule.... MSU.

PSU on the road is tough, but PSU is not a good team. OSU beat them 63-14 last year and it worse. I don't buy the media hype on PSU being a trap this year for OSU.

I am also not willing to concede the conference to MSU either. Barrett is young, but he is a multi-dimensional QB and this D is going to go from ~100 in the country to top 15 this year.

VaTech is a possible loss because it is early, it is a good defensive team and JT will not have had the time to develop. That said, I really don't know much about VT this year other than they will have some good athletes and a constipated offense.

I got the Buckeyes at 11-1 and Co-Divisional champs at worst. Wouldn't be stunned to see 12-0 or 10-2.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:11 pm

Still worried about PSU after watching them struggle with Akron?

FYI,

Navy has over 300 yards rushing with 25 mins left to go in their game against Temple.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:14 pm

Yeah, Furls, not sure about that call. Always glad if my expectations are exceeded.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:30 pm

furls wrote:I only see one 50:50 shot at an L on the schedule.... MSU.

PSU on the road is tough, but PSU is not a good team. OSU beat them 63-14 last year and it worse. I don't buy the media hype on PSU being a trap this year for OSU.

I am also not willing to concede the conference to MSU either. Barrett is young, but he is a multi-dimensional QB and this D is going to go from ~100 in the country to top 15 this year.

VaTech is a possible loss because it is early, it is a good defensive team and JT will not have had the time to develop. That said, I really don't know much about VT this year other than they will have some good athletes and a constipated offense.

I got the Buckeyes at 11-1 and Co-Divisional champs at worst. Wouldn't be stunned to see 12-0 or 10-2.

Damn Furls, this was a great take.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:18 am

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:

Yeah, can I get a Super Bowl pick please.

Oops i put this in as an edit. Stupid tablet.

Every once in a while I get it right. I think Cardale wins the job this year. JT gets in some here and there and takes over the team after Jones goes in the top 5 of the 2016 draft. That cannon (74 yards in the Spring Game) is too much for the NFL to pass on. JT wins the heisman in 2016.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Corey KKKKKluber
Least Favorite Player: Domestic Violence

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:48 am

Also, can you tell us how this QB thing is going to shake out next year?
Sea Foam Green

Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Q

Unread postby furls » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:05 pm

Love child of shawn kemp wrote:
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:

Yeah, can I get a Super Bowl pick please.

Oops i put this in as an edit. Stupid tablet.[/quote]

Every once in a while I get it right. I usually do pretty well on these OSU call your shot things.

As for the QB situation, all the clippings right now seem to indicate it will be B-Rax, which I am not thrilled about. I think he constipates this offense and is actually the third best of the three. I think Jones may ultimately end up getting more snaps behind center, and probably should.

I think JT is the best college QB of the group. Jones obviously has the cannon, but Barrett is just consistent. He is like a machine, reads a defense like an NFL QB and throws a catchable ball. In the end, I don't think it really matters because I think OSU can win another title with Meyer and any of the QBs. I think Miller probably gives them the lowest shot just because teams can load up against him and Elliot and Miller cannot hit the open guys down field.

A huge part of Zeke's success last year was that teams had to respect the pass, when Miller is in there we can expect to see more of the cover 1/0/4 looks that MSU through out there, and when in cover 0 or 1 the box will be jammed and Elliot will look pedestrian. I would really like to see Miller just play another position.

This year's OSU team should cruise through the B1G 12-0, win the B1G championship game and then it is anyone's guess what happens. This is probably the best OSU team since 1998 (I think that team was better than the 02 champs) and may be the best team since the 69 team that lost to scUM in Bo's first year in Ann Arbor. I expect to see a lot of lopsided numbers.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to College Sports Arena