Text Size

College Sports Arena

OSU-Navy in Baltimore (not a game thread)

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

OSU-Navy in Baltimore (not a game thread)

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:47 am

Anyone else going to the opener in Baltimore? I'm heading up with a few friends and we're putting a tailgate together.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Re: OSU-Navy in Baltimore (not a game thread)

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:06 pm

It is now.

Reprehensible defensive game plan. Vomitus. Why where they in a 2 deep? Nearly half of Navy's offensive team is in the backfield.

Fuck 'em, they covered.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby furls » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:10 am

I had duty on the sub yesterday and could not watch the game until about 11pm last night. I knew the score, but I watched the game last night anyways because I had to. It is tough to get a lot out of a game with Navy because they are so different than everyone else and they play such a team based, disciplined offense that it makes drawing a lot of definitive conclusions tough. Here are some quick hitters:

-The CBs were untested but it looks like Apple is #2.

-Definitely saw some emerging stars on defense and offense yesterday. Darron Lee is Shazier's replacement, that is what an OSU LB looks like. Although Lee did look a guy making his first start at times, there is no doubt he is going to be a great one.

-Washington and Bennett played OUT OF THEIR MINDS yesterday. That was one of the most dominating DT games I have ever seen.

-Josh Perry looks nice at MLB, Curtis Grant... not so much (still).

-Safety play was meh, and slow to the ball, overly conservative defense... bama would've had 9 in the box.

-JT Barrett looked OK. Nice touch when he had the time. Not the runner that Miller is, but he is on a different passing growth curve than Miller.

-Buckeyes missed Noah Spence, big step down to Steve Miller.

-Curtis Samuel and Dontre Wilson are stars. Thomas is definitely going to steal snaps from D. Smith and Spencer. I was not impressed with Elliot, vision was not great, speed was meh... we'll see, but there are other guys that I want to see get the touches. I like Jalin Marshall, but his talent wasn't quite as obvious as the other 2, I would like to see a few more touches for him. This team has an embarrassment of riches at slot/playmaker/rb.

-The OL looked very meh yesterday too. I do not like Daryl Baldwin at RT and it looks like things may still be unresolved in the middle of the OL (Center and LG). Boren did not look good, Price struggled and Elflein didn't look great either.

Don't get too spun up about 375 yards on the ground against Navy, it is a tough D to play. The outside pitch was humming for them, in large part because the Bucks were not winning the edge and frankly Navy did a great job on the arc block (as pointed out by Gary Danielson). OSU will never play another team as good at doing what they do as Navy. Navy put on a clinic yesterday.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:41 am

Curtis Samuel was impressive....looked explosive and to have great vision. I want to see more of that kid.

Wilson also seemed to have better vision then last year and seemed more patient in letting the play and his blocks develop.

We were rotating in so many running backs so couldn't get to see too much of anyone. Only ones I didn't see get a carry were Ball and Dunn. Two big time recruits that might never get much of a chance with Smith, Samuel, Wilson, Marshall and Eze E now in front of them.

I personally was not impressed by the linebacker play--guys could not shed the Navy cut blocks and as a result there were gaping holes on the edge. I hope it was just Navy's unconventional offense but I am starting to worry about that part of our D again. I guess we will see more this week againg Vtech.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby furls » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:00 am

-Points on LB play are well taken. All we did was effectively trade Shazier for Lee. I think Lee is a young Shazier in the making, but Perry is still Perry and Grant is still Grant. Grant looked very "Granty," same guy from last year. Perry looked better, I think he could be a pretty good MLB.

I think it is time to move on from Curtis Grant. I will give the LBs some credit for having to deal with Navy's cut-blocks. They will not play a team this year with better down field blocking.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:35 am

furls wrote: I was not impressed with Elliot, vision was not great, speed was meh... we'll see, but there are other guys that I want to see get the touches.

I'm in the same boat. He had a nice series in the 4th quarter with the TD run, and on a play leading up to it he had an absolutely crushing block on an LB or S...but up until that point I was wondering why he was even in the game given all I'd heard/seen about the other RBs on the roster. I was far more impressed with Samuel, and even Smith the couple carries he got, just seemed like they were better at 'finding' yards. Clearly, if the yards are there, Zeke can get them, I'm not convinced he's got the ability to get his own, when they aren't given to him by the line, though.

My biggest concern from Sat, other than the O-line play, which was to be expected with all the new guys, was that the LBs and DBs are Still awful at tackling. I can't tell you how many tackles were flat out missed, or how many extra yards were given because of dudes falling backwards because they were tackling too high. Not to mention the couple times the Safeties got flat out run over.
The D-Line was terrific, and the pass defense was untested so is still highly questionable. Next week will be big, I'm sure VT will come out trying to sling the ball, and I don't care how good those guys up front are, if the guys behind can't tackle or cover, it's going to be another long season on that side of the ball.
Sea Foam Green

Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to College Sports Arena