Text Size

College Sports Arena

College hoops state of play

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

College hoops state of play

Unread postby Spin » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:21 pm

Is it just me, or did the NCAA tournament have a lot of baaaaad basketball?

Are the players lazy when it comes to fundamentals, or is it because of the NBA's "one and done"?
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: College hoops state of play

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:39 pm

Spin wrote:Is it just me, or did the NCAA tournament have a lot of baaaaad basketball?

Are the players lazy when it comes to fundamentals, or is it because of the NBA's "one and done"?

You catch any of the last 6 years? It's been bad for a looong time.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:34 pm

Yep. Let's not confuse competitive and exciting with sound basketball.

I know few people watched it, but the UConn-ND women's title game was far more fundamentally sound basketball than the men's game is. The AAU/One & Done mentality doesn't reward sound free throw shooting and moving without the ball.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Spin » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:24 pm

leadpipe wrote:
Spin wrote:Is it just me, or did the NCAA tournament have a lot of baaaaad basketball?

You catch any of the last 6 years? It's been bad for a looong time.

Not really. I've been watching mostly MAC ball the past decade or so, and that's a different animal. I'm not saying the talent is better by any means, but the players on the floor are upperclassmen, and they're not just biding their time and working on the skill sets (dunking, 3's, no D) needed for their NBA careers. Not that 2% of those kids in big schools are going to ever see an NBA game, but they all think they are.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:23 am

peeker643 wrote:Yep. Let's not confuse competitive and exciting with sound basketball.

I know few people watched it, but the UConn-ND women's title game was far more fundamentally sound basketball than the men's game is. The AAU/One & Done mentality doesn't reward sound free throw shooting and moving without the ball.

It's trickled down to high school as well. Watched a couple games and the whole of offensive set is 3 guys camped out at the 3 point line firing up shots at will. They had a kid who was 6" taller than everyone and rather than work the ball down to him, this kid roams out to the 3 pt line and fires up a horrible 3 in a 2 point game. Even watching open gym sessions. Kids would rather take hero 3 pointers than drive the lane or pull up for a 12-15 footer. One pass and shoot. That's all you see
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby furls » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:29 pm

College hoops is impossible to watch now. I root for the Bucks, but man it is hard to have any interest in the game. It is terrible.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to College Sports Arena