Text Size

College Sports Arena

scUM and Bama Offensive Coordinators

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

scUM and Bama Offensive Coordinators

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:46 pm

Interesting that scUM hires the ex Bama OC and Bama hires Lane Kiffin.

How does Kiffin keep landing on his feet like this? Seems like a shady character who hasn't produced a lot but he keeps getting chances in blue chip football programs.

Another interesting thing I have read from a variety of Bama fans and analysts is that they weren't happy with what they consider an excess amount of passing by Bama and that they need to go back to a predominant run-based, ball control offense. They seem to blame their defensive issues on the pass first offense and the lack of ball control offense.

Tressel/Bollman ball coming back in style????

Should be interesting to see how Nussmeier does at scUM...scUM fans are jumping for joy over the hire and think they stole a great coordinator from the SEC but Bama fans seem happy to be rid of him. One man's trash another man's treasure thing I guess.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Re: scUM and Bama Offensive Coordinators

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:50 pm

Well doesn't grind it out ball control offense only succeed if you have an extremely good defense?

Not saying Bama's D was bad by any means (especially compared to the Buckeyes) but at some point if you are happy to grind it out and come against some high flying offenses, and fall behind, you are in a bit of a pickle.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:01 pm

Lots of different schools of thought on this right? But I guess one school is if you have a really good, run-based ball control offense that can consistently drive down the field you will eat the clock and keep your D and the other team's offense off the field.

Worked pretty well for Tressel, Woody and Paul Brown. Conversely Meyer's spread, hurry-up thumped us and Tressle pretty good in the NCG.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby furls » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:09 pm

No matter what, he is a huge upgrade for scUM. Al Borges was garbage, so as long as this guy is mediocre they come out way ahead. I am glad he wasn't there this year, Gardner may have thrown for 600 against us with a competent OC.

I am worried about this hire, particularly if OSU keeps Fickell in charge of the D.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to College Sports Arena