Text Size

College Sports Arena

2014 Orange Bowl vs Clemson, Woody Hayes Rematch

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: 2014 Orange Bowl vs Clemson, Woody Hayes Rematch

Unread postby DeanSheen » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:39 pm

Someone want to tell me why Urban trots an obviously broken, cant run, cant pass, Miller back out there on the last series with Guiton waiting on the sidelines? A guy that can pass. Why do we have WR's on this team if we never use them?

I've had enough of this offense and this defense is easily the worst in the last 10 years. Better be some turnover in the offseason.
I met my Spergon Wynn's mom once in a bar in Houston. It was a little awkward.
DeanSheen

Favorite Player: Asdrubal
Least Favorite Player: Hafner

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:46 pm

B/C Braxton is more explosive on the ground is my guess, that and maybe (just maybe) the WRs don't get open consistently, which would render Guiton's (superior accuracy) somewhat useless.

I'm convincing myself Urban has known the limitations of this group of guys all along, and maybe (just maybe) coached them in such a way as to protect their limits and hide their flaws once this season got past the midway point and we were still undefeated, to make a run at a championship of some sort. Maybe Urban plays all the kids sooner to see who is who if we have a blemish...?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:32 pm

Ironic how the games ended on a similar note....

Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:38 pm

I forgot that was when we didn't have names on the jersey's...well did anyone, I was like 6 back then?

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:42 pm

Pete Thamel ‏@SIPeteThamel 47m
SOURCE: Ohio State's Shazier leaving for the NFL. QB Miller and TE Heuerman will return for Sr. year. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/colleg ... nfl-draft/
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Squints » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:10 pm

One more year for Huerman to be ignored in this offense after his obligatory one long reception down the middle.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby furls » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:53 am

He is wide open.... alot!
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:36 am

Shazier is overrated, not stout enough for the league.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby furls » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:21 pm

Some guys are just ball players. I think Shazier is one of those. He is undersized for sure, but he doesn't seem to have trouble tackling even at a size disadvantage.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:11 pm

Taj Boyd disagrees with you Furls.

FUDU

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:28 pm

FUDU, If you are talking about the play I think you are, Shazier was pursuing at an angle to avoid the blocker and as a result Taj was able to get lower and had more leverage.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:46 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Item: I am a TE honk...played it...coached it. I got one thing to say to tOSU or anyone for that matter
THROW THE FUKING BALL TO THE TE....MORE....till they stop it. Kinda like LSU did to us in NCS.
The Pros can't stop it.....colleges can't......H.S.....never.

Item : Shazier, was not himself the other night especially in the first half. He was either coming of the
flu, stoned, concussed, or under advisement from his agent. However, he did start thumping
in the 2nd half. Taj did get him once but he was off balance when he got hit.

Shazier will play OLB in a 4-3, and excel in an attacking scheme. F$%%^ck this read & react shit.
Late first rounder. IMHO. They say he's 230???????.....

** Nice to see Dawson hit the winner for the 9er's huh? Best break he ever got, getting the Hell out of this
quagmire.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Squints » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:57 pm

You know, my memory of OSU football goes back the Keith Byers Era and going by memory only, I can only think of one tight end that was really a true difference maker- that was Ricky Dudley in '95. And one could argue that game planning for Eddie George and Terry Glenn would let him slip open a time or two more than usual. Other than that, Hartsock was a good weapon only because Krenzel utilized him as a check down and not because of the Vest's game plan. Who else?- Jake Ballard, nice catch in the Rose Bowl, but not really; Darnell Sanders, no. John Frank was before my time. I believe Jake Stoneburnner was one of the biggest wastes of talents from a coaching, scheming perspective that I have witnessed. I truly thought he had all the stuff to be a Mackey Award finalist. I heard- from you all- that he may of had an attitude problem early on IIRC but nonetheless truly disappointed that he wasn't more than what he turned out to be. I blame it all on Hamby's double drop. :hide:
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:46 am

JFC with the Shazier hate. The guy is a late 1st or early/mid 2nd round selection. He had a crap game against Clemson and if you want to knock him for that fine. But it doesn't take away what he accomplished this season.

BTW, this is not some Buckeye homers opinion. When you declare as a junior, the league asks NFL scouts to asses your potential in the draft, much like the NBA. The kid is highly rated.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:39 am

NFL defense is now about making PLAYS. Being solid and part of some sort of bend but don't break or grind you down defense are things of the past. Can you make a play that gets a possession in these ridiculous shootouts?

I think Shazier has that ability. You can take the Jessie Tuggle and his lunchpail 350 tackles a year, in 2014, gimme the guy that might get me the ball, or make a big play for a loss.

In a perfect world, you've got both, but Patrick Willis' ain't that easy to find.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:37 pm

I don't know much about the NFL game as I really don't watch it much, but some basic principles apply here. Shazier is a guy that makes plays. That ability translates, particularly if a guy is an elite athlete. Shazier is an elite athlete. If he was a slow, lumbering guy that seems to be in the right place at the right time, I would be concerned.

That blocked punt in the CCG against MSU is one of the best football plays I have ever seen in my life.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:08 pm

Great interview today on ESPN radio with Jimbo Fisher. Guy is more articulate and insightful than I expected.

He talked about the BCS and said he thinks the new system will be worse. He said he couldn't remember a single year when the BCS got it wrong. He said, for a program and for a fan winning a big bowl is a big deal and that we shouldn't dilute that. He mentioned that when he was a kid he could remember every bowl game winner whether they won the Cotton bowl, Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl or whatever bowl and said that is college football tradion that needs to be kept.

He mentioned the controversy around the 2nd team in the BCS will now just become controversy around the 4th team and in the future if they expand it the controversy will still continue.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena