Text Size

College Sports Arena

Does an undefeated OSU team make the NCG?

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Does an undefeated OSU team make the NCG?

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:49 pm

After reading 17,000 plus posts of yours, I think I can ballpark it.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:05 pm

FUDU wrote:After reading 17,000 plus posts of yours, I think I can ballpark it.

I test well.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:17 pm

jb wrote:
FUDU wrote:BTW JB Glenville doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell this year.

In D 2?

Who they got? Assillon and Winton Woods?

Do you know what the ville is gonna do if they run into a Madison?

Ugh. Madison has their best team in a long time and they're more athletic than most will credit them for being, but they're small and not THAT athletic that they can score with Glenville. More so, I have no idea how they'd stop Glenville from scoring.

Madison's title game is this Friday at Mentor against Brecksville. Can't see them getting by either Bedford or the 'Ville.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:24 pm

My apologies JB, I forgot all about Glenville dropping to D2.

I supposed they'd have to be the favorites.

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:01 pm

JFC, all this national micro analyzing of every quarter and every game for OSU has really jumped the shark. They scored 60 pts, they were never in jeopardy of losing or losing control of this game. They made plays on both sides of the ball, despite the defense not playing great (which is their known weakness). Now the spin is they have numerous games like this that were not impressive and were they didn't dominate, THEY WON 60-35, the game was OVER with time left on the clock in the 1st quarter.

Then the talk that Baylor hasn't struggled like this yet, nor has FSU...take Clemson off the FSU schedule and they've played nobody, Baylor didn't play anyone until last Saturday.

OSU is not an all time great team, they are not the BEST team in the country this year, and the rankings reflect that. The 22 game win streak IS irrelevant to this years title chase, yet they are still putting up ridiculous offensive numbers and winning all their games going away. So what is the fucking problem? The problem is the MEDIA is acting like there is a push to get OSU attention and somehow get them a title chance, so they are pushing back. What a joke. Just let the season play out and things will take care of themselves.

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:30 pm

Holy shit.

I have to say it's fitting, or a vindication or whatever word best describes the outcome after the replay that gave Georgia their last TD. Murray was down.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:13 pm

Baylor is in danger of getting housed by TTech. Kingsbury's team has that swagger to it that says that not only do they think they can win, they know they will win.

20-7 Tech.

Tech's WRs are for real.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:23 pm

Not anymore, unfortunately.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:41 pm

21-20.

This is a pretty good night for football. Lots of games are interesting early... my son and I both think Stanford goes down tonight.

MSU playing OK against 'Bama in the second.

Florida beating USCe too.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:42 pm

MSU playing stout D against 'Bama.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:46 pm

Quite possibly a big night to shake up college football tonight if a couple games keep on the way they are headed right now.

Oh and ESPN totally changed their headline for the Buckeye game, and hour ago is read Buckeye blows past Illinois, now it read OSU "hangs" on, it's unreal how contrived the story line is for OSU thanks to the media. So annoying.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:57 pm

I saw the original headline. Interesting that they changed it. Kind of confirms that whole agenda thing. I have been trying really hard to ignore it, but it is becoming impossible.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:57 pm

And as we go through everything... Stanford is tied with unranked USC... Alabama is only up 13 on unranked (and bad) Mississippi State... Baylor has it in control over Texas Tech, but allowed 34 points. We'll see how this lines up...
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby DeanSheen » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:29 am

And Stanford loses.

And the idiots on ESPN said that Baylor crushed and OSU squeeked by. FU ESPN.
I met my Spergon Wynn's mom once in a bar in Houston. It was a little awkward.
DeanSheen

Favorite Player: Asdrubal
Least Favorite Player: Hafner

Unread postby fairvis » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:30 am

And shit, USC beat Stanford. OSU should still be a solid #3 tomorrow, with Baylor at #4.
fairvis

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:35 am

I am not that worried about Baylor. I think they lose to a pretty good Oklahoma State next week in Stillwater at night. I will say this about Baylor, they pass the look test. They are a good team. Are they so much better than OSU that it is clear that they should jump them? No, but they are a good team and not just on offense.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:25 am

'Bama has that big matchup with Chattanoga up next and the 'Noles have Idaho, Awesome scheduling!
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:14 pm

The only team in the top ten that looked dominant for 60 minutes was FSU, after that you can nit pick a series or three or a quarter if not two that the rest of the top ten didn't look their best. However with the exception of Stanford they all won, and that is the point.

Stanford has probably played the schedule with the most legit difficulty, and they now have two losses to show for it. FSU has played one game that is more difficult than some of the rest of the top ten (the Clemson game, sorry Miami is not that good). Auburn's rise is interesting but it cannot be validated until they meet Bama. I mean yeah they beat Georgia, and Georgia was SUPPOSED to be very good this year, but at what point during a season does that credibility with a team like Georgia wear off, they've got 4 losses. I don't care how challenging one would argue their schedule has been, they lost all those tough games, verdict, they not that good. So the weight they carry as an Auburn win is what exactly?

FUDU

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:33 pm

FUDU wrote:The only team in the top ten that looked dominant for 60 minutes was FSU, after that you can nit pick a series or three or a quarter if not two that the rest of the top ten didn't look their best. However with the exception of Stanford they all won, and that is the point.

Stanford has probably played the schedule with the most legit difficulty, and they now have two losses to show for it. FSU has played one game that is more difficult than some of the rest of the top ten (the Clemson game, sorry Miami is not that good). Auburn's rise is interesting but it cannot be validated until they meet Bama. I mean yeah they beat Georgia, and Georgia was SUPPOSED to be very good this year, but at what point during a season does that credibility with a team like Georgia wear off, they've got 4 losses. I don't care how challenging one would argue their schedule has been, they lost all those tough games, verdict, they not that good. So the weight they carry as an Auburn win is what exactly?

I'd agree with much of what's here. Fact of the matter is there's a lot of sorry schedules in that top 4. The other fact is, thanks to the Big 10, no schedule is as sorry as OSU's. Holy Christ, yeah, Miami isn't that good, Georgia's down, but at least you have to pay half attention to teams like this. This Big 10 is total garbage, with many programs things of the past, and pretty much any program trying to hold a legacy is coached by a buffoon.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:45 pm

Very true LP, with regards to OSU, Wisconsin is no worse than having Miami on your slate, one might argue Wiscy is better than the Canes, IMO that is what becomes quite irrelevant nit picking.

It's a no win situation, not just for OSU, but for most of college ball. When the B1G was a solid respectable conference the line was "they/we beat each other up", so you'll get way fewer opportunities to see consistent undefeated teams getting shots at NCGs. So no matter which conference we're talking about it's too often if a team is undefeated then their conference/schedule is soft, but if said conference is never putting teams in the top 2-3 spots then the answer is well you gotta win your games.

The playoffs will not completely resolve this simply b/c there will be a system which ranks teams in order to determine the playoff bracket. But at least we'll get to see those "proclaimed" top teams on the field v each other.

I've also heard more and more whispers than the voters don't actually watch nearly the amount of these games as it is claimed they do or should..., rankling by box scores and highlight reels?

FUDU

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:59 pm

FUDU wrote:Quite possibly a big night to shake up college football tonight if a couple games keep on the way they are headed right now.

Oh and ESPN totally changed their headline for the Buckeye game, and hour ago is read Buckeye blows past Illinois, now it read OSU "hangs" on, it's unreal how contrived the story line is for OSU thanks to the media. So annoying.

Take your time machine back to 1994 and see what happened when PSU, ranked #1, gave up 35 to Indiana, 2 scores late in the game
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Unread postby bac5665 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:37 pm

And now the AP poll has Baylor 3, OSU 4. It seems like we're living in a different reality from the rest of the country. I've seen Baylor. Their good. But I don't see how anyone would think we wouldn't beat them. Or that the B1G isn't better than the Big 12 top to bottom.

:gah:
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:44 pm

I'm not even getting into the whole is OSU better than Baylor or is B1G better than B12, just looking at each team yesterday there is no overwhelming reason/evidence to say Baylor should be moved in front of the Buckeyes. Baylor was losing bad for for the first 10-12 minutes of their game. OSU had their game put away in 10 minutes. Baylor came back to win going away, OK, great. OSU let Illinois stick around within 2TDs for about ten minutes, OK great. Both teams put up 60 and gave up 30. What's the problem?

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:45 pm

FUDU wrote:I'm not even getting into the whole is OSU better than Baylor or is B1G better than B12, just looking at each team yesterday there is no overwhelming reason/evidence to say Baylor should be moved in front of the Buckeyes. Baylor was losing bad for for the first 10-12 minutes of their game. OSU had their game put away in 10 minutes. Baylor came back to win going away, OK, great. OSU let Illinois stick around within 2TDs for about ten minutes, OK great. Both teams put up 60 and gave up 30. What's the problem?

The problem is the narrative. The B1G is down this year, it is all anyone in the media can talk about. The thing is... every conference is down this year except the PAC 12, which seems to be the best conference in the NCAA by a wide margin to me. There is a lot of mediocrity in the NCAA this year and many of the teams that have been good recently are much less so now.

Take Bama for instance. They are nowhere near as good as they were last year. Last year's 'Bama beats this one by 2 TDs. The rest of the SEC looks very ordinary. LSU is down, UGA is down, USCe is its normal, erratic overrated self, Florida is awful, aTm is up and down.

The ACC is so overrated its not even funny. IMO FSU is the best team in the country, just based on the eye test because they have only played one opponent with a pulse. Clemson looks to be "above average" at best, the rest of that conference is garbage.

The B1G is bad. Ohio State is elite on offense, below average on defense. Wisconsin looks better now than they did early in the season, I think they have improved over the course of the season and I am glad we got them early. MSU is improving on offense, but they are still just "half a football team." If you combined MSU's D with OSU's O, you would have the best team in the country. The rest of the B1G is bad.

The B12 is not good either. Baylor looks legit, OK State looks pretty good. The rest of them.... they aren't very good. How the fuck was Oklahoma ever ranked in the top 10 (same with Miami)? Anyone who has seen them knows they aren't that good.

There is a lot of mediocre in the NCAA this year, Ohio State just seems to be the only team to be penalized for playing it based on conference perception. At the end of the year, what is going to be regarded as the best win on FSU's schedule? Will it be that crappy Miami team? Boston College? Duke (in the ACC championship (?) game)? A terrible 7 loss Florida team?

'Bama can look like shit against a bad Miss St. team and the performance is called "workman." Ohio State plays flat without 2 LBs against a bad Illinois team, puts up 60 points after jumping ahead 28-0 and the win is called, "holding on?" How the fuck does that work?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:18 pm

Exactly furls. Look don't take my (yours or general OSU fan's) frustration with this as whining, I'm not saying OSU is the best team in the country, nor should they be ANY HIGHER than the 3 spot, and getting ranked out of position by one or two spots is very common and NOT the end of the world. But the lack of acknowledgement of the entire CFB landscape being down (or at least defense being non existent across the board) is beyond ridiculous. As I linked in that other thread, the is actually a metric that is being considered for the future that exposes a few things and actually shows OSU as the only team beside Stanford to have even 1 win v. said metric's top ten teams.

In pro football all we here every Sunday is a win is a win, that logic doesn't even remotely exist in CFB.
Last edited by FUDU on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FUDU

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:35 pm

I have always maintained that you win the games put in front of you and this bs takes care of itself.

The media though seems to be getting more and more biased against the B1G every week. The conference hasn't been good in quite some time but this seems to be bigger than just that.

I know from my job that if you want strong, wide publicity you hire a good PR firm, sprinkle the money around and you can pretty quickly get positive articles in any media outlet you want. It's all about how much your budget is...you want positive articles in the Chicago Trib, NYT, International Herald Tribune, Bloomberg, no problem just hire the agency and cut the checks. With the media it is 99.9% about the money. I am really starting to wonder if these other conferences aren't following this model and planting positive seeds across the sports media.

If it was just the media slobbering all over Bama and LSU I would get it. But the love for USCe, Georgia, aTm, ACC teams (FSU excepted) is totally without logic or merit (and that's coming from someone who is a USCe fan). It wouldn't surprise me at all if the conferences aren't directly or indirectly funding media campaigns. There's lots of money at stake so it wouldn't be surprising.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:52 pm

Oh yeh, Mark Schlabach has us losing to MSU in the B1G championship game in his latest bowl projections (he has us going to the Orange bowl).

The only positive thing about this would be rolling Clemson in the Orange bowl on national TV.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:32 pm

So everytime OSU plays a good team people start picking against OSU. Then when OSU wins they say that the Buckeyes didn't beat anyone. Remember when there was no way OSU was going to get through NW and Wisco? The sexy media pick was to go against the Bucks both times. Remember when the Bucks were supposed to struggle with PSU?

Now the sexy pick is MSU, but when OSU wins they still will not have beaten anyone.

The Buckeyes will have gone 25-0 without having beat a single worthy foe! That is pretty impressive. You know that even if you are 95% likely to win each game, you would only 25.7% likely to every game? That in and of itself is impressive.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby fairvis » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:40 pm

I don't get it. Auburn gets a miracle win against a 4-loss Georgia squad and now they're #3 in the computers? Seriously? An OOC schedule of Washington State, Arkansas State, Western Carolina and Florida Atlantic, and their SOS is that much better?

Look, I can get Baylor moving up. But seriously, Auburn?
fairvis

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:22 am

If the standard for being a good conference is having more then 3 or 4 good teams, my question is based off this logic when has the B1G ever been good? Throughout most of the existence of the B1G there have only been 3 or 4 respectable teams per year, followed by allot of garbage. Hell for a good chunk of its history it was called the "BIG 2,little 8". But no one really seemed to mind. If anything the only thing that has changed is the gap between tOSU and the rest of the B1G, and yet we are punished for that. I'm not going to let it bother me anymore... All the Buckeyes can do is handle their own business... I am no longer going to concern myself with ESPN (aka Style) points. If that means no National Championship with the consolation prize being the Pasadena Chamber of Commerce Bowl, so be it. After this year none of this will matter anymore (at least until a future undefeated tOSU team is in the 5th spot behind a 1 loss SEC team who has 3 FCS teams on their schedule).
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:25 am

Chattanooga

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:44 am

furls wrote:So everytime OSU plays a good team people start picking against OSU. Then when OSU wins they say that the Buckeyes didn't beat anyone. Remember when there was no way OSU was going to get through NW and Wisco? The sexy media pick was to go against the Bucks both times. Remember when the Bucks were supposed to struggle with PSU?

There were people here worrying about a couple of those games. So yeah, I remember.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:00 am

Anyone else think that on top of the B1G, tOSU is also being punished for Notre Dames stellar showing in last years NCG. There where a number of media types burned for backing ND. With the thought of that embarrassment fresh in their minds the last thing they want to see is another "slow, lumbering" Midwest team in the NCG.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:11 pm

Yep...I was worried about Penn State. That was the Saturday when they started their current streak of "we're going to hang half a hundred on everybody from now on, so it won't matter what the defense does" games.

So far, it's working to produce wins, but it's hard to find fault with others around the country who are trying to objectively determine who the 3rd best team in the country is, and remain unconvinced that it's the Buckeyes. I remain unconvinced.

Which is not to say I think they would lose to Baylor, Stanford or Auburn on a neutral field.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:27 pm

I agree Dan, at least with objectively questioning if the Buckeyes are in fact the third best team, but I question the methods/logic being used. Up until last Saturday the schedules of Baylor and our OSU weren't even worthy of trying to differentiate, they both sucked, but there was no mention of Baylor thriving on such a lame duck schedule, meanwhile OSU's was criticized from week 1. Then enter the games each team played this past Saturday, again there was nothing on the field to say that Baylor SHOULD be ranked higher than OSU. If Baylor would have put together a flawless blowout to the tune of 35-0 or worse then I'd be fine with it.

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:17 pm

Not just you, Dan. All of us had some concerns about one of those games or another. They turned out to be relatively unfounded other than times during NW game.

As to the 'unconvinced' thing? I'm unconvinced that FSU, Baylor, Stanford, Auburn and even Alabama is heads and tails better than any of the other schools mentioned and I'd put OSU in that mix.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby googleeph2 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:40 pm

From what I can tell, the increasingly-used used excuse for what I see as a double standard (especially in looking at this past weekend;s games)is the 'eye test'.

100 college football talking heads out there. Has even one tried to make the case for Ohio State to be ranked higher, in light of their losing ground to Baylor? As an exercise, at least.

Just don't ask Herbie. It's apparently against his nature.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby furls » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:43 pm

peeker643 wrote:Not just you, Dan. All of us had some concerns about one of those games or another. They turned out to be relatively unfounded other than times during NW game.

As to the 'unconvinced' thing? I'm unconvinced that FSU, Baylor, Stanford, Auburn and even Alabama is heads and tails better than any of the other schools mentioned and I'd put OSU in that mix.

My concern isn't so much with people being concerned, I understand that. There is no team in the NCAA that is obviously better than the other top teams, there just isn't this year. There is a bunch of teams with virtually no overlap that are winning their games, generally decisively.

What I am bothered about is can best be summed up by what Ramzy (or someone similar) tweeted the other day... during the course of OSU's 22 game winning streak they have been passed 14 times! Maybe, just maybe they are better than everyone has been guessing. As teams ahead of OSU lose, the media just finds another team to install ahead of them. That is what is infuriating. As soon as Oregon lost, what did everyone say, "who deserves to be #3 (Ohio State, Stanford, Baylor)?" Some went so far (yes, Jesse Palmer I am talking about you) as to say that Stanford was CLEARLY the 3rd best team... that must make USC #2, right?

My question is who will be their next champion should Baylor lose to Ok. State? You can already hear the building ground swell for Auburn! Will there be renewed emphasis on Oregon jumping OSU? This stuff sounds ridiculous, and I feel silly for even typing it, but how silly did the proposition of Baylor passing OSU seem in Week 7 when OSU was ranked 3 and Baylor was ranked 15.

Every week OSU has to make a case that others do not, and that is BS. Can you imagine the narrative if OSU only beat Illinois 20-7?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:01 pm

peeker643 wrote:
furls wrote:So everytime OSU plays a good team people start picking against OSU. Then when OSU wins they say that the Buckeyes didn't beat anyone. Remember when there was no way OSU was going to get through NW and Wisco? The sexy media pick was to go against the Bucks both times. Remember when the Bucks were supposed to struggle with PSU?

There were people here worrying about a couple of those games. So yeah, I remember.

They were morons.
jb

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:02 pm

Check out the top 8 teams this week.

Tell me how awesome an 8 team playoff would be.

:pb:
jb

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:14 pm

Preseason ranking #2

Does not lose.

Falls back because national sports media falls in love with Oregon.

Same people now blowing Baylor.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:29 pm

Interesting you put it that way CDT. So they rank us #2 BEFORE the season, a season in which they know our schedule going in and know there is NOT another team in the B!G that is predicted to compete for a NC. scum and Nebraska were 17 & 18 respectively. So it was no secret going in that our schedule was what it is.

...and here we are today.

FUDU

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:40 pm

LMAO

Sincerely,

JOPA 1994 and other undefeated yrs vs like competition

So, how's it feel to get fukked by the pollsters Buckeye Fans?
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:56 pm

FUDU wrote:Interesting you put it that way CDT. So they rank us #2 BEFORE the season, a season in which they know our schedule going in and know there is NOT another team in the B!G that is predicted to compete for a NC. scum and Nebraska were 17 & 18 respectively. So it was no secret going in that our schedule was what it is.

Wisco doesn't get jobbed in the desert, and Northwestern doesn't become a walking ICU....... the media would still be like "oh they're just B1G teams. FAMU! FAMU!, YOU GUYS PLAYED FAMU!!!".

It's all good though, like I said in the other thread we win out bowl game and all, part of the NT belongs to us.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:33 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
FUDU wrote:Interesting you put it that way CDT. So they rank us #2 BEFORE the season, a season in which they know our schedule going in and know there is NOT another team in the B!G that is predicted to compete for a NC. scum and Nebraska were 17 & 18 respectively. So it was no secret going in that our schedule was what it is.

Wisco doesn't get jobbed in the desert, and Northwestern doesn't become a walking ICU....... the media would still be like "oh they're just B1G teams. FAMU! FAMU!, YOU GUYS PLAYED FAMU!!!".

It's all good though, like I said in the other thread we win out bowl game and all, part of the NT belongs to us.

It's not the humans, it's the computers. The Bucks did drop from preseason #2 to #3 after the first game in the USA Today pollard but have stayed there. When the Harris poll debuted they were at #3 and remained.

The ESPN douche bags, unles they vote in the Harris poll, have little to do with the actual rankings.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby furls » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:24 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

It's not the humans, it's the computers. The Bucks did drop from preseason #2 to #3 after the first game in the USA Today pollard but have stayed there. When the Harris poll debuted they were at #3 and remained.

The ESPN douche bags, unles they vote in the Harris poll, have little to do with the actual rankings.

The ESPN D-Bags are framing the narrative that allows it. They are still talking about the ACC like it is good to justify FSU and keep OSU down. Like I have been saying to JB for the last month... the ACC is trash outside of FSU and Clemson, and I don't believe in Clemson as an "elite" team either. I hope they play Wisco in the Orange Bowl, I think the Badgers HOUSE them.

OSU started the season #2 and was passed by OREGON, then FSU. They haven't "stayed" there because the people ahead of them at #2 have changed, the lost ground. Should Baylor win out, they will lose ground again. Should 'Bama lose to Auburn watch for the ground swell for Auburn to jump them based on Auburn beating "the no1 team in the nation."

I am not sure if Auburn will get there, but there will be a push.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:33 am

Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 wrote:LMAO

Sincerely,

JOPA 1994 and other undefeated yrs vs like competition

So, how's it feel to get fukked by the pollsters Buckeye Fans?

IDK FMB. I don't think it's the system or the polls or whatever.

The Buckeyes are getting screwed by State Perv, Meatchicken, & Nebraska. And of course their miscalculations years ago when the schedule was made.

Other than CDTs alt universe rules, is there anyone that believes the Bucks SHOULD be ranked over Bama or Aye Fay Shoo? Not could they beat them but should they be ranked over them? The BCS has been in place for 15 years. Everyone knew the game.

OSU hedged bets that an undefeated Big Ten team makes the BCS game. But with the implosion and complete un competitiveness of the other legacy programs that goes out the window. Bugahaw, AnnArborwhore, and Tckle Monster Valley are top 15, arguably top 10 historic overall programs in the annals. None are currently at top 30 level. Sparty & Wisky are doing their jobs, but none of the good once in a decade programs like Illinois, Purdoodoo and Iowa are filling any gaps. The Big Ten is piss poor. Ten years ago who knew?

OSU anticipated a meat grinder Conference schedule when they stopped their annual non conference challenge game. They build their non conference schedule as scrimmages. Don't talk to me about scheduling also ran PAC 12 as anything but what it is. Yeah early on it looked like Tedford may do something but Cal isn't legacy. The AD was clearly trying for a little better tune up game.

OTOH what if they had renewed Texas or SC when schedules were made? Would it have made a difference?

OSU has no case until and if FSU or Bama loses. They just never saw this scenario coming in their "super conference".

As for State Perv 94? Total screw job. A much better team than NU. Dr Toms connection & politics did them dirty. By far the best team that year. That was a legit hosing. OSU this year? Just the chickens coming home to roost based on miscalculations and unforeseen circumstances based on the failure of the Big 10s legacy programs all sucking. They tried to schedule using SEC super conference rules and got burned because the Big 10 isn't a superconference.
jb

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:45 am

furls wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

The ESPN D-Bags are framing the narrative that allows it. They are still talking about the ACC like it is good to justify FSU and keep OSU down. Like I have been saying to JB for the last month... the ACC is trash outside of FSU and Clemson, and I don't believe in Clemson as an "elite" team either. I hope they play Wisco in the Orange Bowl, I think the Badgers HOUSE them.

OSU started the season #2 and was passed by OREGON, then FSU. They haven't "stayed" there because the people ahead of them at #2 have changed, the lost ground. Should Baylor win out, they will lose ground again. Should 'Bama lose to Auburn watch for the ground swell for Auburn to jump them based on Auburn beating "the no1 team in the nation."

I am not sure if Auburn will get there, but there will be a push.

Because they were un impressive against Programs that weren't even meh.

The Bucks can schedule one week off game, not 2. They keep a Cal type game. Then they must schedule a non con January BCS bowl type program like a Stanford, UGA or Oklahoma & hope like hell they don't go on a tank cycle like the Big 10 three.
jb

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:06 am

jb wrote:IDK FMB. I don't think it's the system or the polls or whatever.

Etc.

Didn't Vanderbilt back out of OSU's 2013 schedule?

I think most of the fan frustration is over #3 slipping away, not over being frozen out of #1 and #2. Here comes Baylor. Yes, they have a gauntlet coming up. But look at the Ok St computer score vs. Michigan State - pretty similar. And Baylor almost overtook the Buckeyes this week, on the strength of a game very much like OSU-Ill.

It would have been Stanford, if they didn;t lose. As Furls said, keep an eye on Auburn, if Alabama loses (who didn't look impressive at unranked Miss St, by the way. There's a school that doesn't even have to ask to have non-2013 success count in 2013 rankings.)
Last edited by googleeph2 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:07 am

So JB, you're down with the notion that a close loss to a good team is better than a strong win over a bad team?

FUDU

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena