Text Size

College Sports Arena

Sounds like the defense is struggling

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Sounds like the defense is struggling

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:41 pm

So reading between the lines on Meyer's comments about the scrimmage today and it doesn't really sound like the defense is doing all that well. He singled out, wait for it.... the linebackers.

I wonder if the Buckeyes have another FB to move over to shore things up again. Curtis Grant has been injured a little, but I am still very skeptical about this team's defense behind the front seven.

Shazier is obviously a stud, but all the other LBs are unproven and suspect.

Roby is a stud, but I just got done rewatching the season a few days ago and Bryant and Barnett were terrible last year. I think they are probably good enough to outscore a bad B1G, but I am very concerned about their ability to do anything against other elite teams. This team is going to be weak up the middle.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Sounds like the defense is struggling

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:32 pm

My biggest concern is that Shazier was just not very good last year before Boren showed up to tell him what to do.

Grant was out this week with a concussion so that obviously throws things off but why in the hell was Joe Burger starting at LB? I'm praying they were just doing random depth tests like they tend to do (see the cornerback rotations) and Perry/Cam Williams/Mitchell/Etc can beat out a slow footed walk-on.

Burger is a big enough part of the program to have been Mike Mitchell's big brother, but still.

I think the safety play will be fine, I'm not nearly as worried about that as you Furls and improved play the the Star would be a huge help assuming it comes (Pitt Brown is finally not going to play).

The biggest concern for me right now though is Corey Linsley still not practicing after off-season foot surgery. Hasn't practiced yet and is scheduled to be the starting center? Uhg.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:34 pm

Oh and regarding my not being worried about safety play, I honestly think it takes a year to go from OSU's simplistic coverage schemes during the Tress era to Wither's complex pattern matching stuff. Experience has to help, a lot.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:02 pm

Sounds like we're gonna need an elite pass rush and pray we don't get screened to death.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:32 pm

I was just not impressed with the fundamentals of the safety play. Last year they started the season in Withers cover 4 pattern matching and they were awful. They switched out of it after the Cal game (or maybe UAB) and the play was still terrible. The problem I have with the safeties is that Bryant misses too many tackles and Barnett gets lost in coverage (so does Bryant) and they both drop too many Ints. Oh yeah, Bryant takes too many stupid fucking penalties every game too (unnecessary roughness, PI, etc.). They have not been good. Travis Howard was pretty bad last year too at CB.

Bad safety play is a problem, but it is a GIGANTICALLY, HUGE, CATACLYSMIC problem when the LB play is bad. Cam Williams seems to be tapped to replace Shazier next year at WILL. Count me as very nervous about our MLB play now, even more than before.

Something else that I am concerned about is the DL play. We know that we should get decent pass rush on the edge (I think up the middle too from Schutt) but Spence was a liability against the run last year and I am concerned about the 2 DTs.

Like I said, I am not ledging.... but I am concerned about the D, particularly because it doesnt sound like we are sound at LB.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:19 pm

Spence playing 30 pounds heavier this year (he's at 255) won't hurt things, but yeah his run d is unproven until we see otherwise.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Return to College Sports Arena