Text Size

College Sports Arena

2014 Recruiting Elephant in the Room (Numbers)

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

2014 Recruiting Elephant in the Room (Numbers)

Unread postby furls » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:58 pm

So...

OSU has 14 players expending their last year of eligibility this year (2013), and they are in their last year of reduced scholarship numbers in 2014 (82). Most of the recruitniks are forecasting an OSU class of 21ish (20-22), so how do we get there and who is their room for?

Right now OSU has 13 commits for 2014, so officially they only have room for one more in 2014 and Jones is likely to take that spot on 6/27. So how does OSU make 6 spots of out 0 without becoming an SEC team where 25+32+29+30+28=85?

Well, Roby and Shazier should be foregoing that last year of eligibility. That gets us to 16.

Donovan Munger has failed to qualify for OSU to date (one last SAT/ACT score pending). Now we are at 17.

So Meyer needs 3 players to quit or attrite themselves between now and next February.

Complicating issues, OSU is seriously in on some very good prospects, but they really don't have much room. Counting Jones in the class, OSU is still likely to take 2 more OL. Which ones? They are in great shape with Eluemonor (nation's top JUCO OL), Mavety (Nation's #2 JUCO OL), who are immediate 2014 stop gaps (thanks Jim Bollman) and elite prospects Damien Prince and Demitrious Knox. All four are no doubter, excellent players and Prince is the kind that you just don't say no to. So what does OSU do if Mavety and Eluemunor both pick OSU? Do they take the first of Prince/Knox to commit? Do they walk away from Knox in the hopes that Prince doesn't stand them up at the alter? Tough problem.

Marcus Lattimore is still not in the class, you don't say no to him.

5* DE Solomon Thomas is still very interested.

OSU still needs a DT (preferrably a 0/1 Tech) and they are looking decent with Matt Elam and Thomas Holley.

Is there room for Jonathan Hilliman a luxury as an RB in an already stuffed backfield?

Harris says OSU is still recruiting him. I would be shocked if OSU allowed him to commit.

Raekwon McMillan is still not in the class and you don't say no to him.

Oh yeah, and the 2 H-Back offers (Roberts and Gesiki)...

It is a pretty serious numbers crunch, and I think this class may actually be basically done by November's officials (aside from 1-2 guys that we know are pretty much OSU guys like McMillan and Lattimore).

Here is my guess at how we fill those last 6 spots:
-3 more OL (Eluemunor, Prince, Knox)
-McMillan
-Lattimore
-Holley/Elam

No more offensive playmakers or secondary guys unless there is some unexpected attrition at camp this year (Baldwin, Carter, Brown, etc. to name a few likely prospects).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: 2014 Recruiting Elephant in the Room (Numbers)

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:16 pm

They won't say no to Eric Smith, you need to include him in this class in any analysis.

But yeah, I just posted something along these lines in the main recruiting thread. It's going to be a crazy number crunch and I see three OL, Raekwon and Smith/Lattimore all as in for sure. Samuel is probably in too from everything I have seen.

And it's far too early to call Munger out, gotta wait till he gets that ACT score. Right now he could still easily be on campus come Sept.

No way both JUCOs come too. Both are elite LT prospects with only two years of eligibility, they aren't going to go to the same team and risk not starting and Decker is locked in at RT.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby furls » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:24 pm

Keep forgetting about Erick Smith. Nice catch. Curtis Samuels is a great looking prospect too, I have no idea how they get him in.

-Eluemunor/Mavety
-Knox
-Prince
-McMillan
-Smith
-Lattimore
-Samuel

That is 7 added to the 14 (assuming Jones is in), which makes 21. If Munger qualifies that is going to be a tough number to hit. Shazier leaving is not guaranteed either, Roby is (barring injury).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:27 pm

I think they cap at 5 OL, not six. I think they only end up w/ one of Prince and Knox (hopefully Prince). I asked Givler about Samuel immediately after the McLaurin commitment and he said from what he can tell they'll take Samuel all the way through signing day.

And it's pretty clear they want another DL. I really have no idea how they are going to pull this off, but last year they pulled off a solid 5 or 6 more spots than anyone expected them too at this time.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:43 pm

I know some folks are smitten with the JUCO OL, but I would rather have Prince and Knox than a JUCO and Knox.

Prince is my #1 guy still out there. Then probably Elam.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:22 pm

Are you guys counting Pittman as gone?....because he's as good as gone, from what I hear.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby furls » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:30 pm

Yeah, he is already off the books (as is Perkins).

Munger qualified today so that adds even more pressure to the numbers situation. I think in retrospect it may have been better had Munger not qualified. Particularly as some are saying that Sprinkle has already outgrown the LEO position (as expected) and will now be taking reps at SSDE with Joey Bosa. Munger as a 3Tech? OG? I like Munger but that scholarship would have likely gone to a pretty good 2014 player.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:10 pm

Sprinkle was never going to play LEO and Munger was always a 3 or OG, not sure how that impacts anything.

The LEO in last class was Tyquan Lewis. Sprinkles size means nothing re: Munger and Sprinkle has always been thought of as either an SSDE or high pressure 3 as well.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:29 pm

That is why I wrote in there that he outgrew WDE/LEO as expected. I doubt Sprinkle will get big enough to move to 3 (I have always thought he would be a SSDE), and I have never really been a huge Munger fan. He seems like a good enough kid, but he just doesn't seem like a guy that is going to get PT here, particularly if Bosa moves inside with Billy Price. This could probably spin its own thread on future DL depth as there are a lot of names and guys seem to be moving around quite a bit.

One of Munger or Price is going to end up on the OL, my guess is that it will be Munger. Price is going to be a real player at OSU too.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:32 pm

Most Scouts I've read think Price is a better OG and DT and Munger's film certainly shows a more athletic kid than Price.

Price could very, very easily be the one that moves. His lateral movement has never been all that impressive.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Return to College Sports Arena