Text Size

College Sports Arena

Auburn back in the news...

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Auburn back in the news...

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:11 pm

...with this piece by Selena Roberts about grade-changing, player-paying and media managing in the aftermath of criminal behavior by players...

http://www.roopstigo.com/reader/auburns ... for_glory/

The writer Roberts has come in for criticism and questions as to her credibility after her reporting on the Duke lacrosse story (I'm not really familiar with her work on that) but she has done other good work previously with the New York Times and Sports Illustrated, including some reporting years ago on Lowder and Auburn that I came across when I was working on the Lowder thing.

That Auburn players got paid (past tense?) is really beyond serious dispute...recall Stanley McGlover's confession, for one...

http://gridirongrit.com/nfl-veteran-de- ... play-past/

...and grade changing is a time-honored tradition at probably every major athletic program in the country.

In fact, there is really less instead of more in this whole story by Roberts...the story of how McNeil was made the scapegoat for the program in the criminal case isn't big news IMO...it's not like his involvement was denied...and the athletic department did the same kind of damage control any big school program would do when a player or players are arrested...get the coaches involved...manage the media, etc.

I was a little surprised to see the ESPN SportCenter twitter account linking it under "BREAKING" last night...
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Re: Auburn back in the news...

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:23 pm

Pretty sure she graduated from Auburn too.

The players have come out and denied her reports and wherever that goes will indicate where this whole story goes.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Auburn back in the news...

Unread postby furls » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:53 pm

They have figured out how to deal with the NCAA in the deep south:
-Cooperate only to the extent that you are required to, but only after the NCAA makes demands.
-Make the NCAA find everything, tell them nothing.
-Keep it in the family

They have demonstrated that if no one says anything the NCAA cannot prove anything. This will go exactly where most NCAA violations and investigations in the NCAA end up... nowhere.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to College Sports Arena