Text Size

College Sports Arena

Zips basketball takes a hit

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Zips basketball takes a hit

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:37 pm

Starting point guard arrested for drug trafficking, suspended from team:

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college ... rd_bo.html

They're done.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Re: Zips basketball takes a hit

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:40 am

What a dumbass.

Wasn't Abreu one of the players involved in the scrum after a MAC tourney game last year? Got kind of ugly and my recollection is he stepped on a celebrating OU player's head on the court.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:44 am

This is bullshit. Didn't you guys see Snitch?

Someone better get The Rock on the phone before tipoff tonight.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:00 am

Exactly why schools like Akron should be turned into trade schools instead of fake institutes of higher learning.

Or just burn the place down.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:28 pm

Heard he had a 5 lb UPS package delivered to his house. Not too smart.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Flash Gordon
Least Favorite Player: TWofA

Unread postby Spin » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:46 pm

peeker643 wrote:What a dumbass.

Wasn't Abreu one of the players involved in the scrum after a MAC tourney game last year? Got kind of ugly and my recollection is he stepped on a celebrating OU player's head on the court.

That was the year before, when the Kent player was laying on the floor bawling and the celebration trampled him.

Not to stick up for this doushbag, this was our year.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Spin » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:58 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Exactly why schools like Akron should be turned into trade schools instead of fake institutes of higher learning.

Right, because "real" institutions like Auburn and Penn State are such fine upstanding examples of how college sports should be... :fu:

I'll put my degree up against one from anywhere else. Four weeks after graduation I was working in the field. I'll almost double what I made last year after 20 years as a paramedic.
Spin

Unread postby jb » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:17 pm

Spin wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Exactly why schools like Akron should be turned into trade schools instead of fake institutes of higher learning.

Right, because "real" institutions like Auburn and Penn State are such fine upstanding examples of how college sports should be... :fu:

I'll put my degree up against one from anywhere else. Four weeks after graduation I was working in the field. I'll almost double what I made last year after 20 years as a paramedic.

But your were a volunteer paramedic.

Joking man!

Recentering; I say this every year & will again. It is a farce the MAC has sent only 1 team to the tourney since 1999.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Spin » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:42 pm

This year would have been the MAC's best shot, if Ohio or that team in Portage County would have beat the Zips in the conference finals.

But dickhead had to fuck it all up. Zeke finally started reaching his potential. Tree is a beast. They have another 7 footer backing them up, although he is very raw. NExt year we replace four starters, Marshall, Walsh, Gilliam, and now Asshole Abreau.

Fuck...
Spin

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:19 am

Love child of shawn kemp wrote:Heard he had a 5 lb UPS package delivered to his house. Not too smart.

Yea, he should kept it to just under a pound. ;-) ;) :wink:
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:51 am

Spin wrote:This year would have been the MAC's best shot, if Ohio or that team in Portage County would have beat the Zips in the conference finals.

But dickhead had to fuck it all up. Zeke finally started reaching his potential. Tree is a beast. They have another 7 footer backing them up, although he is very raw. NExt year we replace four starters, Marshall, Walsh, Gilliam, and now Asshole Abreau.

Fuck...

Best shot to do what? Possibly win the first round game and then lose in the second round?
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Spin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:27 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
Spin wrote:This year would have been the MAC's best shot, if Ohio or that team in Portage County would have beat the Zips in the conference finals.

Fuck...

Best shot to do what? Possibly win the first round game and then lose in the second round?

Were you watching last year when Ohio went to the Sweet 16? Or in 1986 when Cleveland State did it? How about in 2002 when Kent made an Elite Eight run?
Spin

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:17 pm

Spin wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:

Fuck...

Were you watching last year when Ohio went to the Sweet 16? Or in 1986 when Cleveland State did it? How about in 2002 when Kent made an Elite Eight run?

And Akron was going to do that? With their mediocre guard play and inside presence that shines against weaker teams but would be exposed against legit competition?

You cite examples that are the exception, not the norm. Take Kent State's E8 run and Ohio's S16 run out of the equation and the conference is 13-30 in March Madness since 1985.

I'll go with the percentages and assume Akron wasn't going to do shit in the tournament with or without Abreu.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:25 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
Spin wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:

Fuck...

And Akron was going to do that? With their mediocre guard play and inside presence that shines against weaker teams but would be exposed against legit competition?

You cite examples that are the exception, not the norm. Take Kent State's E8 run and Ohio's S16 run out of the equation and the conference is 13-30 in March Madness since 1985.

I'll go with the percentages and assume Akron wasn't going to do shit in the tournament with or without Abreu.

False!! With Abreu they were gonna bow out when they bowed out BUT have a hellacious party afterward. Now? Probably not so much.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Spin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:00 pm

Define irony.

Two Cleveland sports fans criticizing an Akron sports fan for hoping their team would catch lightning in a bottle and win a handful of post-season games.

In a sport where early round upsets are the rule, not the exception.

Spin

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:45 pm

Spin wrote:Define irony.

Two Cleveland sports fans criticizing an Akron sports fan for hoping their team would catch lightning in a bottle and win a handful of post-season games.

Is this where I mention that I'm an Akron grad? And where I mention that I'm able to separate blind loyalty from the truth.

They're not that good. Period. Just because they won 19 straight games over a bunch of scrubs doesn't make them a good team, at least not in comparison to some of the teams that are going to make the field of 68.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:55 pm

Spin wrote:Define irony.

Anti-Akron cause you don't think they are all that?

Too sensitive.

And first round upsets are the exception, not the rule.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby aclayman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:21 pm

Whether Cinderella runs are the norm or the exception, it's perfectly reasonable to get excited about your favorite Mid-Major school potentially doing what Kent or George Mason or VCU or Butler or about a dozen other schools have done in the past decade. The goal is not a National Championship. It's the fun of being on a national stage for a fleeting moment and leaving a mark, as all the aforementioned schools did.
I am an Akron fan, and I actually agree that they were never really as good as the 19 game win streak suggested. BUT, since there are roughly zero GREAT teams in the entirety of college basketball right now, it's fair to hope that an experienced team like Akron-- with good size, rebounding, interior defense, and point guard play-- could do what Ohio did last year (Akron has beaten Ohio twice this season already if anybody cared).
We were hoping for a couple lucky wins and the fun of watching our team play top flight competition on network TV. Now that Abreu screwed the pooch, we're bummed about what might have been. I'm not sure what's irrational or misguided about that.
aclayman

Favorite Player: Andy Allanson
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bando

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:24 pm

To be fair, when you are a joke of a sports school and you also recruit criminals you should beat the other "none pro prep" colleges that recruit high character kids.

I mean christ, you'd think these schools in these joke conferences could at least avoid bringing in the Josh Cribbs and this fuck of the world.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Spin » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:10 am

aclayman wrote:Whether Cinderella runs are the norm or the exception, it's perfectly reasonable to get excited about your favorite Mid-Major school potentially doing what Kent or George Mason or VCU or Butler or about a dozen other schools have done in the past decade. The goal is not a National Championship. It's the fun of being on a national stage for a fleeting moment and leaving a mark, as all the aforementioned schools did.
I am an Akron fan, and I actually agree that they were never really as good as the 19 game win streak suggested. BUT, since there are roughly zero GREAT teams in the entirety of college basketball right now, it's fair to hope that an experienced team like Akron-- with good size, rebounding, interior defense, and point guard play-- could do what Ohio did last year (Akron has beaten Ohio twice this season already if anybody cared).
We were hoping for a couple lucky wins and the fun of watching our team play top flight competition on network TV. Now that Abreu screwed the pooch, we're bummed about what might have been. I'm not sure what's irrational or misguided about that.

It's called "piling on". You get use to it here.
Spin

Unread postby stretch51 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:31 pm

aclayman wrote:Whether Cinderella runs are the norm or the exception, it's perfectly reasonable to get excited about your favorite Mid-Major school potentially doing what Kent or George Mason or VCU or Butler or about a dozen other schools have done in the past decade. The goal is not a National Championship. It's the fun of being on a national stage for a fleeting moment and leaving a mark, as all the aforementioned schools did.

+1

Here's to the 2013 NIT Champs. Akron kinda reminds me of Dayton '10.

The Zips could get hot. But, they play way too many games from behind to be taken seriously.
stretch51

Favorite Player: Joe Jakubick
Least Favorite Player: Loy Vaught

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:38 pm

Props to the Zips. Another man-sized game from Treadwell. He's just as important to the team as Marshall. Good luck in the tournament, boys.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Spin » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:20 pm

Was DJ that bad tonight, or was the Zips D that good? (wanted to ask someone impartial).
Spin

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 pm

Spin wrote:Was DJ that bad tonight, or was the Zips D that good? (wanted to ask someone impartial).

Give Dambrot credit for mixing up the looks that DJ got. Treadwell and Marshall both guarded Cooper at times and other times he was against the quicker guards. I think he tried to be a distributor too much early in the game and never got into a shooting rhythm. That's part of why he looked so off all night long.

Zips did a great job on him. He didn't have many clean looks. They fought through screens and always had somebody in front of Cooper. Combination of a lot of things for Cooper, one of which was trying to do too much. When things started going south, he put it all on his shoulders. Fell on the sword for his team.

Great coaching job by Dambrot tonight. He was ready.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jerryroche » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:35 pm

Cooper too passive all night. He had Marshall in his face on the perimeter about eleventy-times and didn't take him to the hole once. First time he tried drive was midway through the second half and he was, predictably, fouled. He shoulda started earlier, but chose to stick to 30-foot jumpers, which weren't even coming close to dropping.

Pretty sorry performance by Cooper and most of the other Bobcats. Three losses in the MAC all year, all of them to Akron. Couldn't even beat the Zips without the drug-pusher.

Sour grapes.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Ol' No.23

Unread postby Spin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:28 pm

Holy fuck I can see why some are front runners.

I will never forgive my parents for raising me a homer.
Spin

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:23 am

Spin wrote:Holy fuck I can see why some are front runners.

That was ugly. Sorry about that, dude.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:56 am

motherscratcher wrote:
Spin wrote:Holy fuck I can see why some are front runners.

That was ugly. Sorry about that, dude.

I think Akron and Montana should get together and play one more game. Even if it's an open gym deal at the 'Y'.

That would be awesome.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Spin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:13 am

We were depleted at 1, 2, and 3, with a PG starting his 3rd game and only one swing who could hit something besides a J. But still our bigs gave them all the ORB's they wanted. And they shot the lights out. That took us out of our tempo, and they forced TO's. They're Final Four if I'm making my bracket today...

Duuuuuuuude, we got knocked the fuck out.
Spin

Return to College Sports Arena