Text Size

College Sports Arena

B1G BBALL

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

B1G BBALL

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:08 am

Anyone else enjoying this season of B1G Bball as much as I am? For as bad as B1G football is overall , B1G bball has been epic so far. My count right now has 6 , maybe 7 or possibly even 8 teams making the tourney, and there is no clear cut favorite in the rest of the NCAA. come Tourney time , i can see as many as 8 teams in the current AP top 20 with a very legit chance to win it all , and three of them (tOSU, IU, MU) are in the B1G
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Re: B1G BBALL

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:19 am

I don't see the Buckeyes having either the inside game, nor the balance to go too far in the tourney. I'd say the Sweet 16 might be their ceiling. Defense can take you part of the way, but unless Ross and Thompson and Smith really pick up the scoring, I don't they win more than two games in the Dance.

But just watching the conference schedule play out has been a whole lot of fun.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:36 pm

If the Michigan game is on a neutral floor, the Buckeyes win pretty handily. That bodes well. DT can get his points against any defense (which only makes it more puzzling why he was a complete non-factor at the end of regulation and OT in the UM game). Most of the top teams this year are led by guard play, so their top weapon will be neutralized by Craft. If they run in to a team with an inside presence they'll struggle, but they match up really well with the majority of the best teams.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby furls » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:24 pm

I don't know Dan, Ross is flashing big time! He is the only guy with real pro talent on this roster, although Amir Williams is starting to show something too. I could see Williams blowing up some next year. He is a force underneath and really seems to be putting it together.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby fairvis » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:05 pm

So, how can this season get greater?

Now that Michigan screwed the pooch to Penn State, we can have a five-way tie for the conference at 13-5.

How can this happen? Here's how it goes.

Indiana (12-3): Beats Iowa, loses to Ohio State, loses at Michigan -> (13-5)
Michigan State (11-4): Loses at Michigan, beats Wisconsin, beats Northwestern -> (13-5)
Wisconsin (11-4): Beats Purdue, loses at MSU, wins at PSU -> (13-5)
Michigan (10-5): Beats MSU, wins at Purdue, beats Indiana -> (13-5)
Ohio State (10-5): Wins at Northwestern, wins at Indiana, beats Illinois -> (13-5)

Could be some crazy time in the down stretch. And I don't know what would break this 5-way tie...

The records of each team then against the top 5:
Indiana: 4-3
Michigan State: 4-4
Wisconsin: 3-3
Michigan: 3-4
Ohio State: 3-4

So, your seeding would be pretty well set as it is already.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby neoleo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:37 am

fairvis wrote:So, how can this season get greater?

Now that Michigan screwed the pooch to Penn State, we can have a five-way tie for the conference at 13-5.

How can this happen? Here's how it goes.

Indiana (12-3): Beats Iowa, loses to Ohio State, loses at Michigan -> (13-5)
Michigan State (11-4): Loses at Michigan, beats Wisconsin, beats Northwestern -> (13-5)
Wisconsin (11-4): Beats Purdue, loses at MSU, wins at PSU -> (13-5)
Michigan (10-5): Beats MSU, wins at Purdue, beats Indiana -> (13-5)
Ohio State (10-5): Wins at Northwestern, wins at Indiana, beats Illinois -> (13-5)

Could be some crazy time in the down stretch. And I don't know what would break this 5-way tie...

The records of each team then against the top 5:
Indiana: 4-3
Michigan State: 4-4
Wisconsin: 3-3
Michigan: 3-4
Ohio State: 3-4

So, your seeding would be pretty well set as it is already.

Unbelievable. I remember a coach (Izzo or Ryan I think it was) said at the beginning of the year that the conference champion this year might have 5 or 6 losses. I thought that was a bit high but it's coming to that.

Regardless of how it plays out, watching the last 8 minutes of that Penn State upset of michigan last night was a lot of fun.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby furls » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:24 pm

B1G basketball is pretty damn good this year. Lots of depth and some pretty damn good teams at the top. This is one of the better years that I can remember.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby dmiles » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:03 am

furls wrote:B1G basketball is pretty damn good this year. Lots of depth and some pretty damn good teams at the top. This is one of the better years that I can remember.

I just got to thinking about some of those old-school Big10 years, and 1992 comes to mind. Jim Jackson, Calbert Cheaney, Fab-Five. I can't remember Cheaney doing that much as a pro, but damn was he smooth in college. Hell even Damon Bailey was still getting after it. Minnesota had Voshon Lenard who had a respectable pro-career. Even lowly Wisky was running out Michael Finley, and Eric Snow was a bench guy at MSU. :hide:

Can't forget Jent.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby fairvis » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:15 pm

Who the hell would've seen Purdue knocking off Wisconsin? Jeez. Minny over Indiana, Penn State over Michigan, and Purdue over Wisconsin in one week.

In the hope stretch, some amazing games on the slate. OSU/Indiana tomorrow, Wisconsin/MSU on Thursday, and Indiana/Michigan on Sunday.

Doug Lesmerises did a great article on how it could play off. May make your eyes cross.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/ ... w_the.html
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:09 pm

I have been absent from the forums as of late, but I was coming over here to start this same thread. I've got no dog in the game in terms of the Big 10, although I find myself rooting for Ohio St sometimes because I know the majority of you guys follow them. It's been awesome though, like watching a great year in the Big East or ACC. Everytime I flip through and see a Indiana/Illinois or Mich St/Mich or Wisconsin/Ohio St I end up parking it and watching the whole game like I have a vested interest. It's just great basketball.

I really hope that the SEC can get to this point in the next 5-10 years so I can catch this caliber of hoops live. It seems as if we've always had programs come in and out of national consideration (Florida, Arkansas, Tennessee, LSU, Miss St, etc), but we can never all put it together at the same time. Hopefully we see a rise in those teams to go along with what Kentucky and Mizzou consistently put on the floor.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby furls » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:39 pm

Obviously SEC country is football country! It is strange that so few football teams do much in hoops. tOSU has had a nice run recently, UF did very well for a few years, UT has been down the last couple but was pretty good for a short stretch. In general though, the football powers just can't translate the campus excitement to hoops.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Squints » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:14 am

Nice f'ing win tonight boys. No greater sound in college basketball than a silent Assembly Hall.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby Govbarney » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:26 pm

I vote Matta replaces Dawson in the TCF front page banner until a suitable Browns replacement can be found.

Or Craft
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby furls » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:50 am

I might second that if the Buckeyes can somehow drag in a tournament championship... not final 4, but championship!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to College Sports Arena