Text Size

College Sports Arena

OSU - Cal

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

OSU - Cal

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:34 am

Game Notes from OSU

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/osu ... elease.pdf

Cal has been disappointing so far...losing to Nevada, and then last week gave up 31 points to Southern Utah in a 50-31 win.

Southern Utah. I did not know there was a school called Southern Utah.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Re: OSU - Cal

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:15 am

Better get some shit worked out this game. Going to East Lansing ain't gonna be no walk in the park.

CAL- 17

OSU- 34
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby dmiles » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:31 pm

A guy I know got his kid a schollie as a kicker at Southern Utah. I had never heard of the school before that. Then son #2 comes along and gets into Stanford as a long snapper. (just commenting on how they found niche's for their kids).
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby pod2dawg » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:50 pm

I project we do nothing different on D against Cal. We will play it "safe"...saving the blitz (run & pass) packages for Sparty.

On "O" I wouldn't be shocked to see a more expanded passing game .

MSU will key heavily on BM & force him to pitch it or throw. Urban has been laying in the weeds waiting for that, a million passes to the TE's and the RB's.

Bucks 41

Cal 24
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:07 pm

Think Urban Meyer likes John Simon? From his postgame presser today...

On defense, bad tackling. That's all I know, is bad tackling. We've gotta get that figured out. It's time to play Ohio State defense and that wasn't Ohio State defense at all. We've got to get that thing worked out. I know it won't be from a shortage of effort. We are going to get it worked out and go.

John Simon played hurt today. Gave a little emotional speech in there. He had a sore shoulder. They kept telling me all week, it should be fine, it should be fine; it just didn't heal as fast as we hoped. Boy, he just lost it in the locker room as far as just sharing,opening up his soul for this team. And I've done this a long time, man, and he's as good...you mark that down there, can you put a jersey up there or something that says John Simon, because that's a grown ass man...excuse my language...that's a guy.

If we have another child I want to name him, what is it, Urban John Simon Meyer or something like that. (Laughter) can't wait for that headline. But that's how much I love that guy. I'm not ashamed to say I love him. Love that guy. Man. Makes all of us look in the mirror and say: Are we doing enough for our team. That guy, what he just did in there, not to give you too much of what went on in there, but am I doing enough? When I say I, as our coaching staff, are we doing enough? Are we doing as much as he's doing? No. We've gotta do more. Gotta do more.

Wow.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:45 pm

Wow.

On a negative note. The linebacker play was ATROCIOUS today across the board, even and particularly Ryan Shazier. Grant looks like he will be good next year, he needs reps. I think Shazier is still a good player, but man some bad tackling from him today directly led to about 140 yards rushing and 2 TDs on 2 plays.

The safety play was FUCKING LOUSY too. Very lucky to get out with a win. Finally blitzing forced the OL to acknowlege it as a possibility and really opened up plays for the DL even when they weren't blitzing. AMAZING how switching things up makes it better. Also, Urban and Herman never adapted to Cal's halftime adjustment on D, Cal went from playing a lot of Double Eagle to more of a straight 46 look covering up the guard and both tackles. UM and the bucks still insisted on calling lots of inside runs into a straight 46 front. That is not going to work well (and it didn't) unless you have a guy like Chris Wells back there running the ball. Then I would encourage running right into it because once Wells blows through the DT no one will have a shot at him for at least 15 yards (if at all). Jordan Hall is not that kind of runner.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:49 pm

Shazier missed a couple tackles...including not wrapping up on Bigelow's 81-yard TD...as did Bryant and Barnett and Grant...but without Shazier today this team would have been in big ass trouble. He had about eight tackles and a sack in the first half alone, including some wicked shots.

Not sure what you want from the guy...13 tackles (10 solos), a sack, 2 TFL, and a forced fumble. Plus he hurt people.

danwismar

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:17 pm

Braxton Miller should be mentioned in the Hypemen race with more seriousness.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:43 am

Very Tribe-like 7 game thread posts.

The bloom fading for some?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:37 am

Not sure why the thread is light, but I can tall you this, the Bucks are pretty fortunate they ran into the NCAA'a only tw-left footed kicker.

Christ, they let that guy drive the bus back to Cali he's gonna drive it right into the Rio Grande.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Squints » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:43 am

I'm watching and will continue to watch, but this year has and extending spring practice feeling to it. I'm focused on Braxton's development as well as the defense to come out guns a'blazin' next year.

Anyone try to StubHub or ebay OSU-PSU tickets yet?
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby furls » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:56 am

Squints wrote:I'm watching and will continue to watch, but this year has and extending spring practice feeling to it. I'm focused on Braxton's development as well as the defense to come out guns a'blazin' next year.

Anyone try to StubHub or ebay OSU-PSU tickets yet?

Very well said about the extended spring practice. It is not surprising that it has a practice feel to it as they are installing a new offense and they are obviously working out the kinks. I think we are seeing Meyer and Miller figure out who the real playmakers are. It looks like really the only playmakers are Miller and Smith on offense. Sorry guys Carlos Hyde just isn't that good and neither is Jordan Hall. Hall was not great last year and he is not great this year either. I am sure that the young guys would be getting more reps if the Bucks were able to put some of these guys away. It is unfortunate that none of the young backs are good enough to take carries away from Hyde the way that Wells took carries away from Pittman. It just confirms that tOSU's RB of the future is not on the team yet.

As for game threads, I was on duty yesterday so I couldn't participate. I tried to post some comments in the UCF thread but there was no one there and I got tired of typing to myself.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:05 am

danwismar wrote:Shazier missed a couple tackles...including not wrapping up on Bigelow's 81-yard TD...as did Bryant and Barnett and Grant...but without Shazier today this team would have been in big ass trouble. He had about eight tackles and a sack in the first half alone, including some wicked shots.

Not sure what you want from the guy...13 tackles (10 solos), a sack, 2 TFL, and a forced fumble. Plus he hurt people.

Look Dan, if you bring in your closer and strikes out the first two batters on 3 pitches and then soft tosses a HR to the third batter, it doesn't matter he had a bad outing. If your QB is 24-26 for 400 yards, but those 2 incompletions were poorly thrown pick 6's in a close game, then it was a bad game. Sorry, it is what it is.

Same with Shazier. Those were not difficult plays, they were routine plays. He was in position and whiffed. He had his head down and was trying for the big hit and missed. I would gladly trade Shazier's forced fumble for a routine 14th tackle that would have stopped an 81 yard TD run, I would trade his sack for a routine 15th tackle that would have stopped the other long TD run that he was in position for and whiffed. We all know that stats don't always tell the whole story.

At no point in my post did I say that the safety play was good (or even average). Safety play has been awful this year, contrasted nicely by brilliant CB play.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:05 am

I work most Saturday's and DVR the game so I usually don't hit up the thread until after it's over.
I didn't check until late last night and I was surprised.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:08 pm

Buckeye threads have been like this since Twitter killed these boards Peeker.

As to Hall, I'd wait a few games before saying anything about him Furls. Urban was extremely pleased with his spring performance and he only admitted after the game he didn't get through the line a few times yesterday that he would have were he 100%. I don't think he's elite, but I do think there is a chance in this O he ends up above average.

The safety play, especially Bryant was ridiculously inconsistent yesterday, as it has been in all year. Two good plays, one bad play, etc.

You keep complementing the CB play, but it has been openly discussed how against UCF Roby was the one he gave up on his coverage to bite on another route and caused the two largest passing plays on the week. The blown coverages can be traced to every player back there, no one is without blame. The mental lapses simply have to stop and Russ Fulton has done a great job breaking them down at 11W. Shazier has been just as guilty, overpersuing at times, not picking up the TE others. It's a bunch of people learning how to play football at a high level together. My only concern is that it is almost the same people that did the same things and made the same mistakes last year.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Plus, for Cleveland fans it's more fun to post in the Browns gamethreads where you get to bitch and type deep and well thought out posts like "fuck" and "this again."

It's always been that way, dating back to even BTNG.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:01 pm

There were 90 posts for Miami and 50 for UCF.

Seems like there should be more than 6 after Game 3 when I checked in. Just wondered why...

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:50 pm

I have come to prefer Twitter during games....you can read comments from more than the handful (if that) of people who are discussing it here.

And Mike, , I think if you watch the game a second time, you'll appreciate the game Shazier played more. That was the case with me.

danwismar

Unread postby dmiles » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:16 am

Only problem with twitter during games is whether you are following everyone. Not sure Furls or Dan are in my rotation, I see Rich, Peek, e0y a few others, and of course I try to keep the 11W guys in there.

The good part is also the bad part, and that is nothing is really permanent. I suppose it's like watching a thread in the old days where they look great in the first half and start sitting on the ball in the 3rd quarter and everyone gets progressively more and more pissed as the game wears on. And of course the opposite is true when your team looks like shit for the first quarter, and it's melty-melty, followed by yea-team.

I guess the key is to try to keep the twitter noise down, I tend to follow a lot of crap that I shouldn't, and almost never tweet myself. Also why is the Browns game day thread so much more active? Are there that many more Browns fans here or is it just that more of those who'd post in a game-day thread are of a different generation, or mind-set.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:06 am

dmiles, make lists
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:57 am

I don't understand the twitters (like my mom used to say about the internets). I have an account, I just don't ever use it. I log in every 3-6 months, but I have never really used it any meaningful way.

Dan, I will rewatch the game. Kind of busy right now, but I will (I always do). I expect you are right, because you generally are on stuff like this. I will say, that it is unlikely that I am likely to overlook him diving at Bigelow with his head down and completely missing on those two TDs. Bryant is so frustrating for the reasons Lee laid out. Right now, I would settle for a lesser player that is more consistent.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:18 pm

Meyer just said Bryant may have been defensive player of the game (it was Hankins again) if not for a missed tackle.

Again, I see the big "bad" play ability of the safeties, but I do think you are blaming them when there are many at fault.

Defensive Champions this week were: Big Hank (player of the game 2 weeks running), Roby and Shazier with Bryant a "special mention."

Devin Smith was offensive and defensive player of the game, joined by Jordan Hall, Zach Boren and Jeff Heuerman as Champions.

Meyer also commented on the need for a bigger back to compliment Hall.

And that 40% of Cal's total yardage came on 6 plays.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:22 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:And that 40% of Cal's total yardage came on 6 plays.

Ahh... the Butch Davis defense. Jamaal Lewis woulda never gone for 295 but for a couple/few big plays.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:24 pm

Also interesting from today, Meyer pointing out that OSU's scheme issue on D are boundary related. Which makes sense when you remember that OSU has been playing strong side-field side for the last forever. Teams have finally adjusted.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:30 pm

It wasn't really a defense Peeker, more so pointing out that hopefully it is a correctable problem. The Tackling issue is being addressed in practice (said they may be focusing too much on causing turnovers) and then the scheme issue was addressed. Meyer is a lot of things, an excuse maker isn't one of them.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:37 pm

Doug Lesmerises ‏@PDBuckeyes
Asked Tom Herman how defenses are trying to stop Braxton as runner. Said he has seen Ds last 3 weeks he never dreamt of trying to stop it
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:07 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:It wasn't really a defense Peeker, more so pointing out that hopefully it is a correctable problem. The Tackling issue is being addressed in practice (said they may be focusing too much on causing turnovers) and then the scheme issue was addressed. Meyer is a lot of things, an excuse maker isn't one of them.

Not saying he is. Saying we are.

Tackling is fundamental. I guess it's more correctable in college where you can actually do it as opposed to the NFL where it's been negotiated out of pretty much every day but Sunday.

They have one more gimme Saturday and two full weeks of practice before MSU to get it right. Hopefully they will. I doubt MSU leaves as many points on the field otherwise.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:09 pm

Meyer runs "bloody Tuesday" practices that are amongst the hardest and most physical in the nation, so yeah it is more correctable. We did TONS of form tackling in college and Meyer said they are upping the drills to twice a week. You're dead on about the NFL, where contact in practice doesn't exist and the players wouldn't care to be taught football fundamentals anyway.

And I can see where Meyer bringing the "turnover at all costs" focus takes away somewhat from fundamental tackling. Glad he admits as much.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:20 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Meyer runs "bloody Tuesday" practices that are amongst the hardest and most physical in the nation, so yeah it is more correctable. We did TONS of form tackling in college and Meyer said they are upping the drills to twice a week. You're dead on about the NFL, where contact in practice doesn't exist and the players wouldn't care to be taught football fundamentals anyway.

And I can see where Meyer bringing the "turnover at all costs" focus takes away somewhat from fundamental tackling. Glad he admits as much.

Turnovers at all costs explains a lot, like 15 guys trying to strip the ball while the pile is moving 15 yards down field! At least he is owning it.

I am puzzled how a safety, you know the last resort of the defense when playing at depth, can be one of the players of the game when he misses tackles that lead to TDs. Not sure what grading system he is using, not sure I agree with it, but I will of course defer to the expert (unless the missed tackles persist of the next few weeks).

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:54 am

I started rewatching the game last night, and then I just quit. I couldn't take it anymore. Sorry, the only guys that had a good game were Roby, Howard and the D-Line.

Curtis Grant was unwatchably bad. I had to wash my eyes with bleach to get his stink off of them. Count me among those in Fickell's corner for putting Klein in the game. The Buckeyes are at a crossroads with Grant either play him and see what you have, or put in one of the freshman.

Sabino was marginally better.

Shazier had a good game if you can get past the missed tackles. Spielman made a couple of comments about how the OSU LBs were playing and he pretty much nailed the problem. They are playing each play so far off the LOS that they aren't making the play at the LOS. The only LB coming across his blockers face is Shazier, which explains why he is the only LB making tackles within spitting distance of the LOS. I don't want to let the players completely off the hook here, but this seems like a coaching issue.

Bryant and Barnett were slightly better than I thought, but it still wasn't a good performance at safety.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pup » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:38 pm

Has anyone begun to question the fact that maybe Fickel is not that good of a defensive coordinator? He is making the calls, not Withers, correct? Does he still have too much of the Vest/Heacock passive in his veins? Isn't Withers more of an attack and pressure guy?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:41 pm

The last two year's defenses have been Heacock style (although last week they blitzed a LOT). The problem isn't the play calling, it is purely the execution of the scheme.

Heacock had his bad games (Florida 2006), but he also had his great moments (Oregon Rose Bowl). I'd take his past success back anytime. Let's not forget either, he also struggled with this same young core last year.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby pup » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:45 pm

LB playing well off the LOS and not attacking the hole sounds a lot more like scheme than execution to me.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:18 pm

It's a combination, playing deep after getting toasted on three step drops for two weeks can happen.

That still has nothing to do with missing tackles. Again, 40% of Cal's offense came on six plays. It's not like Cal was three yards and a cloud of dusting them. And if the secondary is struggling in the seems and what not in terms of positioning dropping the LBs is an understandable adjustment.

OSU's D was as good as it was under Heacock because it was ALWAYS one of if not the most disciplined unit in the country. We're 1/3 years in now with this young group and every week it is a new problem showing up from purely a lack of discipline perspective.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:12 pm

Some of it was scheme, but they put the players in position LAST WEEK to make plays. Every long play started with at least one Buckeye who should have made the tackle laying face first in the dirt. I thought the scheme was pretty good last week. I think Urban got the adjustments made that he wanted, last week. Now the problem is execution.

I have to say again, that Curtis Grant was ABYSMAL.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:44 pm

Fulton's very good breakdown of the Cal game D:

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2012/09/1 ... -breakdown
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:18 pm

Great breakdown. Lots of issues. They really need to keep Sabino out of the MLB slot. I thought they learned that lesson last year. Someone needs to teach Grant how to tackle.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to College Sports Arena