Text Size

College Sports Arena

Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:35 pm

That's what a sportswriter from The Oregonian just tweeted -- Caleb Porter offered Portland MLS job:

https://twitter.com/geoffreyCarnold/sta ... 3079436289
GodHatesClevelandSport
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:48 am
Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby Spin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:58 am

This came up last spring, and he turned it down. He also turned down MeatChicken.

I don't know how long he'll keep deciding to stay. He's well compensated and comfortable. And like other sports, a name coach is a GOD at Akron U, not so much in the pros in this age.

We'll have to see what happens...
Last edited by Spin on Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Spin
 
Posts: 2928
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:16 am
Location: the burbs of Akron
Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:21 am

Yeah man, those NCAA Soccer coaches are regular deities...

Moron.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:38 pm

What's the over/under of registered users on this site that could name any soccer coach. Pro or collegiate. 5?
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6636
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby furls » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:54 pm

I'll take the under. I only stopped in on this thread because I saw the 'pipe dropped in here.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6445
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby Spin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:04 pm

Must be a slow day on the beer thread.

You trolls just can't stand seeing sports fans in NEOhio having a good time.
User avatar
Spin
 
Posts: 2928
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:16 am
Location: the burbs of Akron
Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:07 pm

Did a quick google search that said the U of A soccer coach's base salary is $170,000/year. I think he is a demi-god. I think he is living the high life right whwere he is at.
User avatar
Love child of shawn kemp
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:37 am
Favorite Player: Corey KKKKKluber
Least Favorite Player: Domestic Violence

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby Spin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:12 pm

Love child of shawn kemp wrote:Did a quick google search that said the U of A soccer coach's base salary is $170,000/year. I think he is a demi-god. I think he is living the high life right whwere he is at.


That's ten times more than Kent grads make. "Dya want fries with that?"
User avatar
Spin
 
Posts: 2928
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:16 am
Location: the burbs of Akron
Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:14 pm

Well, to be fair, in shitty ass Akron that $170K most assuredly affords him a downtown penthouse where he can lord over his empire of rust-belt despare and futbol loving minions.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:43 pm

Spin wrote:Must be a slow day on the beer thread.

You trolls just can't stand seeing sports fans in NEOhio having a good time.


If there was a beer thread, it would assuredly have at least one post this month, unlike the soccer forum.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6636
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby Spin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:06 pm

leadpipe wrote:If there was a beer thread, it would assuredly have at least one post this month, unlike the soccer forum.


Looks like you just did. LOL.

Don't make me go moderator on your asses... :spanky:
User avatar
Spin
 
Posts: 2928
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:16 am
Location: the burbs of Akron
Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby pup » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:41 pm

Christ. A freakin soccer coach makes that kind of jack? No wonder our society is so jacked up.

Hey, you idiots, don't forget no touchy bally with your hands.
Hey, you idiots, once an hour kick that round thing towards that net thing.
Hey, you idiot, goalies ARE allowed to use their hands.
Hey, you idiots, it is time for practice. Run up and down the field until I blow the whistle.
Hey, you idiots, we are never going to score...on the field or at the next sorority party.

Think his job will be on Monster if he takes off for Seattle? I think I could put together a pretty kick ass soccer coach resume!
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby jb » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:06 am

Spin wrote:
Love child of shawn kemp wrote:Did a quick google search that said the U of A soccer coach's base salary is $170,000/year. I think he is a demi-god. I think he is living the high life right whwere he is at.


That's ten times more than Kent grads make. "Dya want fries with that?"



Congrads on the U instituting minimum admission standards for the first time in school history. Gotta have an ACT Composite all the way up to 17 to gain entrance into the Harvard of the west. Have to study, sweat and achieve in the top 28th percentile to get that prestigious offer of a ticket to the top.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2012/07/akrons_plan_to_steer_some_new.html

In no time at all the U may even be able to leap frog YSU!


http://www.collegeresults.org/search1ba.aspx?institutionid=206695,206604,206613,206084,201885,200800,205443,204866,204839,204857,204848,204802,204820,204705,204699,204680,204796,204671,204024,204015,204006,203483,203474,203465,203492,203517,203526,203456,203447,202134,201690,201441
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby Spin » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:59 am

Congrads on the U instituting minimum admission standards for the first time in school history.


So you blast the U for not having entrance requirments, and then blast them when they do. :lame: Come on, you can do better than that...

Is it still a requirement to be a convicted felon to play football at Kent? I'm surprised the Bengals scouts are crawling all over your training camp.
Last edited by Spin on Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Spin
 
Posts: 2928
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:16 am
Location: the burbs of Akron
Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby Spin » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:01 pm

pup wrote:Christ. A freakin soccer coach makes that kind of jack? No wonder our society is so jacked up.


You should hear what he's being offered in the MLS. Or what he made for coaching the U23 team last year. It's a different world out there now, outside the 1980's world of CLE sports.

If the Zips outdraw the Tribe next month, do you think he should make more jack than Manny?
User avatar
Spin
 
Posts: 2928
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:16 am
Location: the burbs of Akron
Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby jb » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:12 pm

Spin wrote:
Congrads on the U instituting minimum admission standards for the first time in school history.


So you blast the U for not having entrance requirments, and then blast them when they do. :lame: Come on, you can do better than that...

Is it still a requirement to be a convicted felon to play football at Kent? I'm surprised the Bengals scouts are crawling all over your training camp.



Only thing more inane than an Akron alum running academic smack given the links just posted would be runing FB smack.

Stay down, Rocky.

Stay down.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby pup » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:32 pm

Spin wrote:
pup wrote:Christ. A freakin soccer coach makes that kind of jack? No wonder our society is so jacked up.


You should hear what he's being offered in the MLS. Or what he made for coaching the U23 team last year. It's a different world out there now, outside the 1980's world of CLE sports.

If the Zips outdraw the Tribe next month, do you think he should make more jack than Manny?


No
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby Spin » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:10 pm

jb wrote:Only thing more inane than an Akron alum running academic smack given the links just posted would be runing FB smack.


Wow, no wining seasons in 25 years are you're going to brag about football? Sorry I can barely hear you with that '05 MAC Championship banner flapping in the wind.

I smell a beer bet coming in November...
User avatar
Spin
 
Posts: 2928
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:16 am
Location: the burbs of Akron
Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:48 pm

You guys kinda did troll up his thread.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby Spin » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:03 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:You guys kinda did troll up his thread.


I could have kept it OT if it were in the soccer section.
User avatar
Spin
 
Posts: 2928
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:16 am
Location: the burbs of Akron
Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby jb » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:23 pm

Spin wrote:
jb wrote:Only thing more inane than an Akron alum running academic smack given the links just posted would be runing FB smack.


Wow, no wining seasons in 25 years are you're going to brag about football? Sorry I can barely hear you with that '05 MAC Championship banner flapping in the wind.

I smell a beer bet coming in November...



I ain't braggin'. I'm just smart enough NOT to. It's like bragging you have the nicest trailer in Ravenna.

And make it pizza. I quit drinking in May.

I'm actually serious.

But I'll bet you 6 ways from Sunday that Akron loses in football, dadgummit.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:11 pm

jb wrote:
Spin wrote:
jb wrote:Only thing more inane than an Akron alum running academic smack given the links just posted would be runing FB smack.


Wow, no wining seasons in 25 years are you're going to brag about football? Sorry I can barely hear you with that '05 MAC Championship banner flapping in the wind.

I smell a beer bet coming in November...



I ain't braggin'. I'm just smart enough NOT to. It's like bragging you have the nicest trailer in Ravenna.

And make it pizza. I quit drinking in May.

I'm actually serious.

But I'll bet you 6 ways from Sunday that Akron loses in football, dadgummit.


Can I have your kegerator?

I mean, if you're serious and dedicated to that cause it only makes sense.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22781
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:50 pm

Spin wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:You guys kinda did troll up his thread.


I could have kept it OT if it were in the soccer section.


Aside from once every four years, when the yups can get outta work and pretend they give a shit, there is never anything in the soccer section.

Which is the whole point.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6636
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:31 pm

Hey Spin, he quit to coach the Portland Globetrotters of the US' fake ass, bullshit ass, sorry ass, excuse of a futbol league.

Now can you STFU and either watch real futbol or self euthanize?
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:29 pm

Akron and Kent suck at football.

There, argument settled.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.


Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
User avatar
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories
 
Posts: 6380
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: Kent-Green, Ohio
Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby jb » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:03 am

Reports are Caleb took the gig. Summit County is in full fledged panic and outcry. Everyone is devistade. By "everyone" I mean players and their families in Europe.

jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby jb » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:04 am

Triple-S wrote:Akron and Kent suck at football.

There, argument settled.



While this is essentially true on the BCS continuum, Darrel Hazell doesn't compare his mediocre MAC program to Salem College.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby Spin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:38 am

jb wrote:And make it pizza. I quit drinking in May.

I'm actually serious.

But I'll bet you 6 ways from Sunday that Akron loses in football, dadgummit.


You're on. It'll be easier to drive home with pizza sauce on my shirt than trying to hold down a cheap Kent beer anyway. Let's do the Canal Park ballgame too (it's for a good cause). I doubt Akron can win against Kent, not this year. In 2-4 years, my pizza money is on Bowdenball.

When Kent's baseball team draws 4700 and plays regular season games on national TV (and loses the HC to the majors), you can talk smack about soccer. Hell when your football team is on national TV as often as our soccer team, you can talk.
User avatar
Spin
 
Posts: 2928
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:16 am
Location: the burbs of Akron
Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:59 am

Benny Dargle.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13358
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby jb » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:00 am

Spin wrote:
jb wrote:And make it pizza. I quit drinking in May.

I'm actually serious.

But I'll bet you 6 ways from Sunday that Akron loses in football, dadgummit.


You're on. It'll be easier to drive home with pizza sauce on my shirt than trying to hold down a cheap Kent beer anyway. Let's do the Canal Park ballgame too (it's for a good cause). I doubt Akron can win against Kent, not this year. In 2-4 years, my pizza money is on Bowdenball.

When Kent's baseball team draws 4700 and plays regular season games on national TV (and loses the HC to the majors), you can talk smack about soccer. Hell when your football team is on national TV as often as our soccer team, you can talk.



When you realize what a fool you are making of yourself pimping NCAA futbol as if anyone gives a crap, you can stop talking.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby Spin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:53 am

jb wrote:When you realize what a fool you are making of yourself pimping NCAA futbol as if anyone gives a crap, you can stop talking.


Someone else started the thread, like most of the legit threads in The Back of the Net.

I'm not pimping college soccer or claiming its in the same galaxy as college football and basketball. There are people who watch it (according to ESPN and Fox) and talk about it, no different than golf, fighting, high school sports, or hockey.

I'm not pimping the sport. I'm trash talking Can't State. Can Kent's "America's Pasttime" program outdraw Akron's soccer? Do they even charge admission???

Seriously, 4500 paying fans in any MAC sport is a lot of fuckin' people...
User avatar
Spin
 
Posts: 2928
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:16 am
Location: the burbs of Akron
Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:17 pm

Hopkins pulls 5,000 a game to fucking watch Lax you dumbfuck and the Lax final four packs NFL stadiums.

College soccer doesn't even have real talent, it is a shit salad of a sport.
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:22 pm

leadpipe wrote:
Spin wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:You guys kinda did troll up his thread.


I could have kept it OT if it were in the soccer section.


Aside from once every four years, when the yups can get outta work and pretend they give a shit, there is never anything in the soccer section.

Which is the whole point.


There's a soccer section??

I thought I did good finding the College Sports section.
GodHatesClevelandSport
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:48 am
Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby Spin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:27 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Hopkins pulls 5,000 a game to fucking watch Lax you dumbfuck and the Lax final four packs NFL stadiums.


Johns Hopkins joined the MAC?
Last edited by Spin on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Spin
 
Posts: 2928
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:16 am
Location: the burbs of Akron
Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:30 pm

No, but your golden goose can't even outdraw a school with 4,000 undergrads playing a less nationally accepted sport...

IOW: stop proclaiming awesomeness when you have mostly nothing going for you.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby Spin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:33 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Hopkins pulls 5,000 a game to fucking watch Lax you dumbfuck and the Lax final four packs NFL stadiums.


Junior high lacrosse draws well on the east coast. That's like acting surprised Mount U draws 8000 for football. Well no shit...
User avatar
Spin
 
Posts: 2928
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:16 am
Location: the burbs of Akron
Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:34 pm

I really have grown to love soccer at the highest levels as well as the youth soccer that my youngest is involved in. That said, I can't get into college soccer and barely have a taste for MLS. I have to either have a vested stake in the game like with daughter, or watch it at the very highest level in order to enjoy it.

And if the kids playing college soccer were at the highest level they wouldn't be playing college soccer. They'd be in some premier pipeline or academy.

I respect the hell out of the kids that get to the level of Akron, etc. I hope that the game continues to grow and kids benefit from the scholarship money at the collegiate level.

But I don't care to watch it, for the most part.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22781
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:35 pm

Just doing a little digging, Hopkins average attendance is around 7,500 and their record attendance is 2x that of Akron "THE GREATEST SPORTS PROGRAM EVER!@$!~!!'s" soccer.

Really something to crow about, the fact that you can't even draw over 5,000 for a national championship team at a D-1 university in a city with absolutely nothing to do except watch the steel rust and economy collapse.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:36 pm

peeker643 wrote:And if the kids playing college soccer were at the highest level they wouldn't be playing college soccer. They'd be in some premier pipeline or academy.


I thought about mentioning this but then I remember Spin talking about how impressive it was his coach got MLS offers and realized that he's a fucking idiot that wouldn't get it.

Futbal is a great sport, the Americanized version of it blows.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby Spin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:04 pm

peeker643 wrote:I really have grown to love soccer at the highest levels as well as the youth soccer that my youngest is involved in. That said, I can't get into college soccer and barely have a taste for MLS. I have to either have a vested stake in the game like with daughter, or watch it at the very highest level in order to enjoy it.


That's how I feel about all sports. Can't sit and watch the Mariners play the Rays, or the Jaguars play the Raiders. A lot of AK fans have a vested stake (thousands of dollars LOL) in the program.

And if the kids playing college soccer were at the highest level they wouldn't be playing college soccer. They'd be in some premier pipeline or academy.


Academies are for U18, most players come out of the academies and play semi-pro and college (different seasons) until they're ready. Others come out of HS and enter college and SP.

There's a bunch of Zips in the MLS. Bush, Valentin, and Ubiparipovic (Mont), Korb and Bunbury (KC), Kitchen (DC), Sarkodie (HOU), Zemanski (Chiv), Gavin (NE), Nagbe (Port), Mattocks and Nanchoff (Van), Speas (Cmb), Ampai (SJ), Zakuani (Sea).
User avatar
Spin
 
Posts: 2928
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:16 am
Location: the burbs of Akron
Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:21 pm

Spin wrote:Academies are for U18, most players come out of the academies and play semi-pro and college (different seasons) until they're ready. Others come out of HS and enter college and SP.

There's a bunch of Zips in the MLS. Bush, Valentin, and Ubiparipovic (Mont), Korb and Bunbury (KC), Kitchen (DC), Sarkodie (HOU), Zemanski (Chiv), Gavin (NE), Nagbe (Port), Mattocks and Nanchoff (Van), Speas (Cmb), Ampai (SJ), Zakuani (Sea).


That's the issue though. If they're coming out of the academies and going to play college or semi-pro then I'm not interested in watching them play. If they come out of the academies and play La Liga or with an EPL team or in Serie A, etc, then I watch.

I'll get up Saturday and watch the EPL games on ESPN/Fox Soccer. I will not watch the Fox Soccer college game of the week.

I did watch LA vs. Dallas and NY vs. Sporting KC Sunday night. Mostly because the Indians have turned me off of baseball forever. ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22781
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby Spin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:37 pm

College is still the way the vast majority of players make the MLS, whether they are "owned" by an MLS team or come out of HS. Like the NBA or MLB (and NHL?), their stay in college depends on how long it takes them to develop.
User avatar
Spin
 
Posts: 2928
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:16 am
Location: the burbs of Akron
Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Spin wrote:College is still the way the vast majority of players make the MLS, whether they are "owned" by an MLS team or come out of HS. Like the NBA or MLB (and NHL?), their stay in college depends on how long it takes them to develop.


Again, you're talking 'graduation' to MLS, an inferior (IMO) product. It's a league for 'Not Quite Good Enoughs' and "Has Beens". That's not completely a criticism. There are teams, players and games worth watching. But it's a 'minor league' for all intents and purposes and you can tell that's true because any player in the MLS would kill to play in the EPL or a premier Italian/Spanish league. It's what they aspire to.

But I also don't watch a ton of college baseball (College WS aside) because I don't care to watch the kid from Rice play against the kid from College of Charleston so they can get drafted and play in Midland or Mahoning Valley either.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22781
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby Spin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:22 pm

I see what you're saying, IMO MLS is along the order of Serie B.

But I'd rather watch US quality soccer live than EPL on TV. If I had a rooting interest in one of the teams, it would be different. Once n awhile Italia is on the tube, I've yet to see my favorite Euro team Bari. On day I will, live.
User avatar
Spin
 
Posts: 2928
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:16 am
Location: the burbs of Akron
Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Akron soccer coach offered MLS job?

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:33 am

GodHatesClevelandSport
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:48 am
Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith


Return to College Sports Arena

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests