Text Size

College Sports Arena

2014 Recruiting

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: 2014 Recruiting

Unread postby jb » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:42 pm

YahooFanChicago wrote:Furls, what do you make of these rumors that 4-7 Michgan underclassmen are considering transferring due to playing time issues and broken recruiting promises (Green, Kalis, etc.)? Is it BS?

Amazing about 5* Kalis so far. I doubt too many expected Decker to be doing so much better at this point.

Am I reading this correctly?

Kalis is complaining about broken recruiting promises?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:50 pm

jb wrote:
YahooFanChicago wrote:Furls, what do you make of these rumors that 4-7 Michgan underclassmen are considering transferring due to playing time issues and broken recruiting promises (Green, Kalis, etc.)? Is it BS?

Amazing about 5* Kalis so far. I doubt too many expected Decker to be doing so much better at this point.

Am I reading this correctly?

Kalis is complaining about broken recruiting promises?

Lol, that's an outstanding observation.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby furls » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:44 pm

Dan nailed this. I say the article is bullshit, but that said I am sure that there are lots of guys that are disgruntled. I have read multiple rumors about bad chemistry in the locker room and while I don't really know how credible the sources are, watching the results on the field seems to validate it. Frankly, they are a team that lacks leadership at ever level from HC to the field.

Hoke is such a "Michigan-man" that they will foolishly retain him through at least the 2014 season, his recruiting may actually buy him at least the start of 2015. That team is just soft... end of story.

Do you guys realize what a good job Urban Meyer and his staff are doing at talent evaluation? I was bummed when the offered and took the commitment of a 3* RB out of Missouri and promised him he was the only RB they were taking in 2013... I really thought it was foolhearty to pass on the 5* guy that loved your program. Look at those two now... Green shows up about 20-30lbs overweight to camp (and looks doughy and slow), while 'Zeke Elliot passes 3 RBs on the depth chart to secure the #2 back spot on probably the deepest RB roster north of Tuscaloosa.

I enjoy watching Kalis look like s swinging door at Guard for scUM. Honestly, if he was playing at OSU he would probably be a much better player right now. Warriner is a HELL of a coach, 2nd best hire Meyer made. He is getting destroyed nearly every snap and has awful technique.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:51 pm

DeShawn Hand to 'BAMA!!!

scUM thought he was a lock, but I guess not. Hoke's tenure is rapidly turning into a dumpster fire over there. I wonder how much gas finishing the season on a 5 game losing streak would add to the fire? Could a 6-7 season get him fired this year, I tend to doubt it, but what if Urban posterizes this suddenly reeling team to the tune of say 56-7?
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby neoleo » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:39 am

I've read some comments where people are disappointed that he chose Bama over the Big Ten. Normally I support the Big 10 vs. SEC wars, but this time I say fuck that. My most favoritest thing is for scum fans to feel disappointed, so this brings me joy.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby pod2dawg » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:23 am

(C)Hoke has another year to turn that ship around. His O-co-ordinator doesn't.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby furls » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:51 pm

They are going to completely fuck this up and let him be mediocre/bad for another year. You are either in for the long haul or you cut bait. They are in no man's land. They don't have the tools to save his job regardless of who the O (or D) coordinator is. That is just a soft team.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:09 am

^^^ I don't know if I'd classify them as not having the "tools" Frls. They have the talent. On paper the coaches & facilities. I think this does fall on Hoke +/or his staff...there is def. something missing up there. Word is a lot of disenchantment in that younger players not getting into the rotation as they were promised.

That O line has the bodies, not the mindset.......hell maybe you're right after all.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby jb » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:12 am

Juco Mavety decides in 45 minutes.

Huge impact decision for 14.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:20 am

jb wrote:Juco Mavety decides in 45 minutes.

Well, still looking. Appears Mavety went FSU.

Also, anyone notice Vonn Bell's brother tweeting about OSU not playing their 5* recruits?

While Pitt Brown flails away like a fish in a gill net...

Can't imagine if Bell or Apple or any other huge recruit are heads and shoulders above upper class men that they don't play because of seniority shit. If that's case then things need to change in that regard.

Wonder if the three weeks prior to bowl game shake up the depth chart at all.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jb » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:01 pm

peeker643 wrote:

Also, anyone notice Vonn Bell's brother tweeting about OSU not playing their 5* recruits?

Can't imagine if Bell or Apple or any other huge recruit are heads and shoulders above upper class men that they don't play because of seniority shit. If that's case then things need to change in that regard.

Boo. Eye told me he was a Criminole lock. Looks to be so.
jb

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:11 pm

peeker643 wrote:

Maybe with Bell, who has already lost the redshirt, but highly unlikely they will burn a redshirt for Apple, Conley, Marshall, Mitchell or any of the other guys whose 4 yrs eligibility has been saved all season, just for a bowl game.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby neoleo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:52 pm

peeker643 wrote:Also, anyone notice Vonn Bell's brother tweeting about OSU not playing their 5* recruits?

One of my biggest beefs with Fickell and why I place a lot of the blame on him for the D. He's the same guy who played Bauserman over Miller and waited until halfway through the year to start playing Shazier over Storm Klein. There is absolutely no way that Bell (or any of the other young DB's) are worse than Pitt Brown. Not possible. Yet Brown keeps getting run out there to blow coverages and miss tackles. That can't happen. Sooner or later you have to take a chance on a young guy and be able to coach them up after the inevitable mistakes. No sense on continuously wasting reps on upper classmen who have proven to suck.

Meyer got his guys in on offense with EZE and Wilson finding their way into playing time in a crowded backfield (both beating out Jordan Hall - a senior captain) but the only freshman who made an impact on D was Bosa, even with all the holes in the back 7.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby furls » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:52 pm

neoleo wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Also, anyone notice Vonn Bell's brother tweeting about OSU not playing their 5* recruits?

One of my biggest beefs with Fickell and why I place a lot of the blame on him for the D. He's the same guy who played Bauserman over Miller and waited until halfway through the year to start playing Shazier over Storm Klein. There is absolutely no way that Bell (or any of the other young DB's) are worse than Pitt Brown. Not possible. Yet Brown keeps getting run out there to blow coverages and miss tackles. That can't happen. Sooner or later you have to take a chance on a young guy and be able to coach them up after the inevitable mistakes. No sense on continuously wasting reps on upper classmen who have proven to suck.

Meyer got his guys in on offense with EZE and Wilson finding their way into playing time in a crowded backfield (both beating out Jordan Hall - a senior captain) but the only freshman who made an impact on D was Bosa, even with all the holes in the back 7.

Rack it. Even if Vonn Bell (or any other recruit) blew his coverage and went to the wrong side of the field or undercut a deep route as the safety he would still only be "just as bad" as Pitt Brown. The difference between the two is that one of them has only been in the program for about a year and still has a chance to improve.

I have to think that there is some deference to seniority in the back 7. It is not possible to play football worse than Pitt Brown and Cam Williams. Someone has to be better.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:58 pm

I think too much is being made about Mavety. I am not saying that because he went elsewhere, but I hear people talking about how we "need" a JUCO on the OL. Bringing in a guy that's prime advantage is that he is simply 2 years older than everyone else is not really a logical leap. There is a reason that OSU has only had one JUCO make a contribution in the last decade, Larry Grant. Some schools have had some success with the JUCO's ('Bama for one), but I don't think playing 2 years at JUCO is that much of an advantage over a guy like Evan Lisle that is only one year behind Mavety, just that his year was spent at OSU in Marrotti's S&C program getting coached by Warriner.

Sometimes when I read folks talking about Mavety they make it sound like it is a given that he will better than everyone he would compete with simply because he is older.

Last year Meyer brought in Corey Smith as a JUCO for an immediate impact, how did that work? I am pretty sure he will never be a player here. Smith and Spencer are both back next year, leaving Smith one year of eligibility. JUCO's don't have any time to adjust, either they play right away or they are wasted scholarships.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:28 am

Any updates on R McMillan? Doesn't Meyer have an in-home with him coming up? We can't afford not to get this guy!

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby neoleo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:33 am

furls wrote:I think too much is being made about Mavety. I am not saying that because he went elsewhere, but I hear people talking about how we "need" a JUCO on the OL. Bringing in a guy that's prime advantage is that he is simply 2 years older than everyone else is not really a logical leap. There is a reason that OSU has only had one JUCO make a contribution in the last decade, Larry Grant. Some schools have had some success with the JUCO's ('Bama for one), but I don't think playing 2 years at JUCO is that much of an advantage over a guy like Evan Lisle that is only one year behind Mavety, just that his year was spent at OSU in Marrotti's S&C program getting coached by Warriner.

Sometimes when I read folks talking about Mavety they make it sound like it is a given that he will better than everyone he would compete with simply because he is older.

Last year Meyer brought in Corey Smith as a JUCO for an immediate impact, how did that work? I am pretty sure he will never be a player here. Smith and Spencer are both back next year, leaving Smith one year of eligibility. JUCO's don't have any time to adjust, either they play right away or they are wasted scholarships.

I'm with you. He would have been a great addition for depth purposes, but it wasn't an absolute NEED. I'm one of the few who actually thinks our O Line will be fine next year. Some questions for sure, and definitely not a top 3 national unit like this year, but there's a lot of talent waiting to play and the few guys who have already seen the field have flashed. Decker, Elflein and Boren have three spots locked and I think all of those guys will be above average-very good next year.

The key for me would be Kyle Dodson emerging at RT (assuming Decker flips to the left side). That would keep Daryl Baldwin in a backup role and allow for a great competition at the open guard spot between guys like Lisle, Price and Underwood. Chase Farris could be a wildcard for either of the open spots if he switches back over to OL.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:28 pm

YahooFanChicago wrote:Any updates on R McMillan? Doesn't Meyer have an in-home with him coming up? We can't afford not to get this guy!

Bill Greene from Scout has maintained throughout that Raekwon is OSU's to lose. He posted yesterday that nothing has changed his opinion.

Also, the main guy on Georgia's 247 board came out today and said he thought RM would end up at OSU.

I believe Saban has an in home with Raekwon this week and then Urban has an in home with him on Sunday night. He'll be announcing this coming Monday.
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby furls » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:21 pm

McMillan going anywhere but OSU would be shocking... like Taj Boyd not going to OSU shocking.

I agree on the OL. I think losing that many starts is tough, but we have a VERY good OL coach and 3 guys with game experience. I wouldn't be surprised if Lisle is playing RT next year. Dodson is supposedly very good, but not quite as dedicated as Lisle. I DO NOT like Chase Farris at OL. Rewatch last year's spring game if you want a reminder. Adolphus Washington ABUSED him. It looked like Bryant Browning playing OT.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:41 am

furls wrote:McMillan going anywhere but OSU would be shocking... like Taj Boyd not going to OSU shocking.

I agree on the OL. I think losing that many starts is tough, but we have a VERY good OL coach and 3 guys with game experience. I wouldn't be surprised if Lisle is playing RT next year. Dodson is supposedly very good, but not quite as dedicated as Lisle. I DO NOT like Chase Farris at OL. Rewatch last year's spring game if you want a reminder. Adolphus Washington ABUSED him. It looked like Bryant Browning playing OT.

Isn't Lisle really young for a starting ORT. Like 15 going on 16?
jb

Unread postby neoleo » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:16 am

furls wrote:McMillan going anywhere but OSU would be shocking... like Taj Boyd not going to OSU shocking.

Yeah Farris was bad in the Spring Game. If I remember correctly Decker wasn't much better and he started off the season slowly too, but he's turned the corner. I actually like Farris at OL better than DT. Hopefully they pick a spot for him either way and let him settle in.

I've heard the same things regarding Lisle over Dodson but I just think Dodson has a higher ceiling on the outside. Either way, if one of them can take over RT, I'd love to see Farris slot in at the open guard spot. Anything that keeps Underwood out of the starting lineup is probably a good thing, and I'd be hesitent to start two RS Freshman by going with Price.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby furls » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:04 pm

Can't tell if JB is fucking with me or not, but I'll bite. Lisle is 19 or 20.

As for ceiliings... at this point, I am sick of worrying about ceilings, give me some FOOTBALL players (not athletes) with drive.

I really don't like Farris anywhere but depth. Great kid, that has been fucked around by the staff (moved weekly from OL to DL and back), but he has bad feet for tackle and is too "sticky" on the D-Line. He may be a pretty good guard, really strong kid.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby neoleo » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:13 am

furls wrote:Can't tell if JB is fucking with me or not, but I'll bite. Lisle is 19 or 20.

As for ceiliings... at this point, I am sick of worrying about ceilings, give me some FOOTBALL players (not athletes) with drive.

I really don't like Farris anywhere but depth. Great kid, that has been fucked around by the staff (moved weekly from OL to DL and back), but he has bad feet for tackle and is too "sticky" on the D-Line. He may be a pretty good guard, really strong kid.

I'm pulling for him because he's from Lorain County, where I'm from. Saw him at a local gym doing pool workouts on his own at 5 a.m. while home for winter break last year. Most guys probably used that time to take a break with no bowl game coming up, but that kid was getting after it. That makes me hope he earns a spot.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby neoleo » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:15 am

But I agree with you about him on D. Might not have the feet for OT like you said, but I think he can make a fine guard. Similar to the Bryant Browning comparison you made earlier.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby jb » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:08 pm

furls wrote:Can't tell if JB is fucking with me or not, but I'll bite. Lisle is 19 or 20.

I thought every straight man in American had a WAG that was obsessed with the Sound of Music to the point where even he knew the references?
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:53 pm

jb wrote:

I thought every straight man in American had a WAG that was obsessed with the Sound of Music to the point where even he knew the references?

I thought it was 16 going on 17.

But it's been a long time since I was forced to sit through it.

And, no, unless Carrie U was doing it in Daisy Dukes and boots I wasn't about to watch that version either. Though I understand 18million did.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:05 pm

18 million people would watch Justin Beeber put on a pair of socks if it was hyped enough.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:44 pm

Also, regarding Farris.....I believe he just tore his ACL within the last few weeks and just had surgery this past weekend. I'll check up on it, but I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere.

If true, I'm not sure how much help he'll be to the O or D Line next year.
jclvd_23

Unread postby furls » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:24 pm

I get the reference now JB. There just wasn't enough context for me.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:09 am

peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:

I thought it was 16 going on 17.

But it's been a long time since I was forced to sit through it.

And, no, unless Carrie U was doing it in Daisy Dukes and boots I wasn't about to watch that version either. Though I understand 18million did.

Yeah I fucked that up. You can tell you're surrounded by more estrogen than me to correct the years.

Was forced to walk thru the family room with that blaring. Only way it could have had more wooden "acting" was casting Hayden Christianson as Capt Von Trapp.
jb

Unread postby dmiles » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:12 pm

I was given shit that night for not ever having watched it. She doesn't understand how in 20+ years we've not watched together and how in the hell I didn't watch it growing up.

We had other stuff to do back then. Shit I had a tape recorder, and a nice nerf basketball setup in my room where I could draw up 64 team brackets.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby furls » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:37 pm

dmiles wrote:I was given shit that night for not ever having watched it. She doesn't understand how in 20+ years we've not watched together and how in the hell I didn't watch it growing up.

We had other stuff to do back then. Shit I had a tape recorder, and a nice nerf basketball setup in my room where I could draw up 64 team brackets.

Yep and that Whiteout is not going to huff itself!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:48 pm

Furls.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby furls » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:03 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Furls.

What? Which would you rather do, huff whiteout or watch the Sound of Music?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:44 pm

Maybe if I huffed whiteout and then watched The Sound of Music, it would make it infinitely better. Like maybe the Hulk would show up and make it all awesome and shit.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:17 pm

Raekwon McMillan officially a Buckeye.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:42 pm

jb

Unread postby jb » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:48 pm

jb

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:29 pm

Yay! Now lets hope he can make an immediate impact and some of those highly touted DB recruits can fix the black hole of suck secondary next year.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:41 pm

Great news... Certainly need the help at LB

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby furls » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:11 pm

Johnnie Dixon (WR) committing to OSU today as well. That is some good news. Dixon is a 5'11 185lb speedster type WR. Natural WR, runs good routes, quick and fast. Nice pickup and a guy you have to think will make an impact at OSU at some point.

Dixon is one of those higher 4* top 100ish players. Very nice, national level recruit the day after picking up the #1 MLB recruit in the country. According to 247 OSU now has the #1 OLB recruit (Booker) and the #1 ILB recruit (McMillan). Hopefully one of them can make an impact. They also have Berger in the 2014 class (who was injured all year). I love that guy, he is a straight up football player. I actually prefer him as an OLB over Booker. Sam Hubbard is an interesting LB prospect too. I have no idea what they will do with Hubbard who played for Moeller as a Safety this year at 6'6" 210ish lbs. OSU is projecting him to SAM.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:19 pm

Jeremy Birmingham‏@Birm14s
Johnnie Dixon is a #Buckeye.

According to Scout's Insiders, Dixon has been #1 on the coaches board for awhile. It's been a good couple of days for recruiting.
jclvd_23

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:10 pm

some Johnnie Dixon highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLNJDS3zDkc
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:19 pm

Highlights are OK. I don't see a must have sort of guy there, I know the staff is very high Dixon, but if you compare his highlights to James Clark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pVxgxMuCTU it appears obvious that Clark is the guy you want. Fortunately OSU has them both, but I am not sure Dixon is the athlete we think. I am also higher on Terry McLaurin, I think he is terribly underrated. Remember, McLaurin was 2nd in the SPARQ at the opening (including a laser timed 4.40 forty and a 44.8" vert somewhat suspect, but still best in the event) and showed out very well in 7 on 7's. He will be raw because he was largely used to just catch short passes and rack up YAC and this year he was actually moved to RB so they could get him the ball more.

Take a look at that Clark video, he reminds me of a N-S running Tedd Ginn Jr with better hands. His speed is truly elite and he even has the same stride and form as Ginn. The coaches were pretty high on James too before he broke his leg.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:26 am

furls wrote:Johnnie Dixon (WR) committing to OSU today as well. That is some good news. Dixon is a 5'11 185lb speedster type WR. Natural WR, runs good routes, quick and fast. Nice pickup and a guy you have to think will make an impact at OSU at some point.

Dixon is one of those higher 4* top 100ish players. Very nice, national level recruit the day after picking up the #1 MLB recruit in the country. According to 247 OSU now has the #1 OLB recruit (Booker) and the #1 ILB recruit (McMillan). Hopefully one of them can make an impact. They also have Berger in the 2014 class (who was injured all year). I love that guy, he is a straight up football player. I actually prefer him as an OLB over Booker. Sam Hubbard is an interesting LB prospect too. I have no idea what they will do with Hubbard who played for Moeller as a Safety this year at 6'6" 210ish lbs. OSU is projecting him to SAM.

Furls, no bigger pump here of all things Wildcat. While Kyle is a strong pass rusher, Booker is on another planet from Berger. Seen em both in person & Booker blew me away. Incredibly strong in a frame that will get a lot bigger and stout at POA. Crazy athletic. Berger is Jake Ryan. Booker is Shazier.
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:29 am

furls wrote:Highlights are OK. I don't see a must have sort of guy there, I know the staff is very high Dixon, but if you compare his highlights to James Clark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pVxgxMuCTU it appears obvious that Clark is the guy you want. Fortunately OSU has them both, but I am not sure Dixon is the athlete we think. I am also higher on Terry McLaurin, I think he is terribly underrated. Remember, McLaurin was 2nd in the SPARQ at the opening (including a laser timed 4.40 forty and a 44.8" vert somewhat suspect, but still best in the event) and showed out very well in 7 on 7's. He will be raw because he was largely used to just catch short passes and rack up YAC and this year he was actually moved to RB so they could get him the ball more.

Take a look at that Clark video, he reminds me of a N-S running Tedd Ginn Jr with better hands. His speed is truly elite and he even has the same stride and form as Ginn. The coaches were pretty high on James too before he broke his leg.

Was the "laser" on a frickin sharks head?
jb

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:21 pm

I have been hyping the James Clark highlights video for a year...couldn't believe more people weren't jazzed about the guy....

Also...don't know if you guys heard last night that George Campbell, the stud WR committed to Michigan is no longer committed to Michigan. Word is he calls Urban Meyer on a regular basis. Not saying he's going to be a Buckeye, but right now the odds are better than the odds he'll be a Wolverine. Two 5-loss seasons in a row will do that for a program. Will be interested to see if Jabril Peppers sticks up there....

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:36 pm

All indications are that Peppers sticks.

Campbell is a big loss for them. The best way I can put it is that I was very irritated by the fact he was going to go there, now I am elated that he trolled them. For those that don't know George Campbell is a 5* 2015 recruit, and is rated #7 overall recruit for the 2015 class by 247 composite.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:03 pm

jb wrote:
furls wrote:Johnnie Dixon (WR) committing to OSU today as well. That is some good news. Dixon is a 5'11 185lb speedster type WR. Natural WR, runs good routes, quick and fast. Nice pickup and a guy you have to think will make an impact at OSU at some point.

Furls, no bigger pump here of all things Wildcat. While Kyle is a strong pass rusher, Booker is on another planet from Berger. Seen em both in person & Booker blew me away. Incredibly strong in a frame that will get a lot bigger and stout at POA. Crazy athletic. Berger is Jake Ryan. Booker is Shazier.

I get what you are saying, completely. I haven't had a chance to see much of Booker's senior season. What I saw last year was a great athlete playing linebacker. We have had a bunch of those lately (Sabino, Grant, Bell, etc.) and it hasn't really worked out that well. That said, you are not alone in your assessment of Booker. 247 has Booker ranked ahead of McMillan in 2014, and Booker did VERY well at "The Opening" where he really "opened" some eyes.

Booker ran a laser-timed (not attached to a shark's head) 4.53 forty and was EXTREMELY impressive in pass coverage in 7 on 7's covering WRs. How long has it been since we have had a LB that was impressive in coverage?

The reason I am so high on Berger is due to his low standard deviation. Obviously Booker is going to have the higher ceiling, but in watching Berger's junior film I see a guy that is more athletic than people think (though nowhere near as athletic as Booker) who is a natural football player that flows to the play and therefore plays alot faster than better athletes; similar to James Laurinitis. I am not saying that he is going to be JL, just that he reminds me of him in the way he reads and reacts.

I also think Berger has a very low "Bust Factor" and I would have killed an MF'er to have Jake Ryan on this team this year.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:48 pm

New Scout 300 is out, and the OSU recruits are very well represented, especially at the top:

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p= ... 88&yr=2014

A little hard to believe, but Sam Hubbard has been upgraded to a 5-star on Scout, and is the top-rated OSU recruit.

8 OSU commits are in the Top 100, and 11 in the top 125.

Also, Lattimore and Smith are top 100, as is Solomon Thomas.

See a quick listing of the rankings for all 2014 OSU recruits here:

http://menofthescarletandgray.com/2013/ ... scout-300/

danwismar

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena