Text Size

College Sports Arena

Field Turf Being Installed In The Shoe

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Field Turf Being Installed In The Shoe

Unread postby swerb » Thu May 10, 2007 9:19 am

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby furls » Thu May 10, 2007 12:38 pm

I think one of your more astute writers mentioned this in several columns last year. I cannot remember the guys name though.

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/article_ ... php?id=960

I suspect that this is the last time that the field at Ohio Stadium will be replaced with natural grass. Should this field hold well there is still a very good chance that the field will be replaced with field turf before the 2007 football season. The upcoming Ohio State vs. Michigan game at the ‘Shoe on November 18th will probably be the last time the Buckeyes play at home on natural grass.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby swerb » Fri May 11, 2007 7:20 am

I remember that Furls. You were the first one I saw speculating about that.

I'm still fascinated by the conversation we had when I was down there for Michigan. When we were outside the Shoe, and you explained to me how the renovations and additions they made to the stadium actually blocked out the sunlight that the playing surface needed to thrive.

What a goof.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby yargs7 » Sun May 27, 2007 11:44 am

Here is the finished product. Like the new jerseys...No gray in the paint scheme.

http://www.10tv.com/?slideshow=sites/10 ... showTYPE=3

We are in the process of having it installed at the high school where I coach. The entire process is pretty cool. They actually just roll the turf out over gravel that has been graded and steam rolled. The amazing thing is that they have to sew in all the logos, numbers, and every single little yard line and hash mark. Then they dump TONS of little rubber pellets on the surface to give it texture and soften it up.
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby furls » Sun May 27, 2007 12:12 pm

I prefer grass, but field turf is about as good as they are going to get. They were never going to be able to have grass survive for an appreciable period in Ohio Stadium again so this was really the only alternative.

I like the design, the red end zones are nice, I guess if I had one petty gripe, I would have liked to have seen one of the endzones done grey or something, but in the end, I like it.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Tue May 29, 2007 7:10 am

Not sure if it has ever been an issue at Ohio State, but Field Turf usually cuts down on injuries as opposed to real grass. It is spongier and has more give in it while also not being as prone to cause sticking problems.

Also never gets muddy and nasty in the rain. I got to move around on some after a rain and found the traction to be much better than wet grass. Most of my experience with it was in an indoor location at Tropicana Field. It's lightyears better than the Astroturf it replaced there and has caused a large drop in foot/ankle/knee problems for the outfielders.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby furls » Tue May 29, 2007 12:25 pm

I played on field turf and it is not without its problems. The issure i saw, is that while the traction is better at times it can be too good causing you to twist/jar joints. I had noticeable joint stiffness afterward, but at the same time, I am sure that if you play on it every day and get accustomed to it and develop the soft tissue to match it, it is probably better.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Tue May 29, 2007 12:42 pm

Furls wrote:I played on field turf and it is not without its problems. The issure i saw, is that while the traction is better at times it can be too good causing you to twist/jar joints. I had noticeable joint stiffness afterward, but at the same time, I am sure that if you play on it every day and get accustomed to it and develop the soft tissue to match it, it is probably better.

There's no perfect surface, though this stuff should be better than the grass has been at the Shoe lately. I recall the surface always being iffy and didn't know it was due to the stadium improvements. I have a feeling that OSU won't be dealing again with the firm that designed them.

Major issue has usually always been playing on away surfaces. You do get used to your home turf but don't get much time to adjust to your opponents' turf. That's a factor that is rarely discussed in regards to home field advantage. It's the same in basketball as well because the hardwood is not always set up the same and there are differences on the floor.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby intenso » Tue May 29, 2007 12:43 pm

The only thing I don't like about field turf is those damn rubber balls.
intenso
alt.total.loser

Field Turf

Unread postby justanut » Tue May 29, 2007 6:19 pm

This just aint right , Woody would be having a fit . Three yards and a cloud of dust aint gonna happen on this stuff . Half the fun of football is getting dirty !
Every man dies , but not every man really lives !
justanut

Unread postby furls » Tue May 29, 2007 9:20 pm

Ummmm, Woody Hayes petitioned (successfully) to have the first artificial turf installed in Ohio Stadium. It was back when Turf was considered cutting edge circa 1971 and it was replaced by super turf in 1979. The superturf was not removed until 1990 when OSU went back to grass.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to College Sports Arena