Text Size

College Sports Arena

Butler to Atlantic-10?

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Butler to Atlantic-10?

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:53 pm

I suppose this is good in one sense for Cleveland State, as it rids the conference of the best team and gives the Vikings an easier path to the tourney bid ... but I can't imagine it's good for the league in the long run:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ources-say
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Re: Butler to Atlantic-10?

Unread postby neoleo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:04 pm

Lots of discussions going on about this. Not good for CSU as it weakens the league, takes away a national name, takes away the only box office draw, etc. It does create an easier path to the NCAA tourney, although the winner of that league probably gets a 15/16 seed every year.

An article from the summer anonymously quoting an A-10 official mentioned Butler as the leading candidate to join the A-10 during realignment, but also mentioned Cleveland State and George Mason as the other top candidates if the A-10 expands rather than simply replaces Temple.

CSU better start hoping for A-10 expansion.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby swerb » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:21 pm

Man, I would love to see CSU join the A-10. Would suck to lose Butler and be left in the Horizon. Would be a massive blow for the conference though.

Joining the A-10 would do much needed wonders for attendance. Xavier and Dayton as potential in state rivals. Temple, Majerus and St. Louis, St. Bonnies, UMass, StJoes, Richmond, Charlotte ... all are more viable programs than just about any of the non-Butler Horizon schools.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby neoleo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:29 am

swerb wrote:Man, I would love to see CSU join the A-10. Would suck to lose Butler and be left in the Horizon. Would be a massive blow for the conference though.

Joining the A-10 would do much needed wonders for attendance. Xavier and Dayton as potential in state rivals. Temple, Majerus and St. Louis, St. Bonnies, UMass, StJoes, Richmond, Charlotte ... all are more viable programs than just about any of the non-Butler Horizon schools.

Well, Temple is leaving to join the Big East which created the opening for Butler, but I agree on all parts.

Keeping Butler and adding Dayton and Xavier alone would increase excitement and give CSU three instant rivals and tons more coverage locally.

Doubt it happens, but there has been speculation out there and if the A-10 wants to go to 16, CSU would make a lot of sense.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby neoleo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:53 pm

Charlotte looking to leave A-10 for Atlantic Sun as they start up their football program.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... r-sun-belt

Could be the opening CSU needs?

Here is that article from the summer that I referred to above that mentions CSU as a possibility in the A-10.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-s ... 58010.html
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Tue May 01, 2012 8:53 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Return to College Sports Arena